Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Sharp edges and corners are TOUGH!!! Pre creasing the fabric helps but that's not always easy to do. You just have to keep dabbing at it to get it to lay down. The Method you linked to is also good especially with epoxy. Since epoxy is so strong havinga cut edge won't present any problem

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
petstrom, I actually did some like that for my sharp corners and it seemed to come out okay. Because I could never ever get the fiberglass to lay down over 90 degree corners. But I rounded most all of my corners with either a 1/2" or 3/8" router round over bit. And Even doing that, it was iffy some times. I often wondered if you could use some cyanoacrylate glue (Crazy glue or Super Glue) to glue down the fiberglass material (just over the corners) and then poly or epoxy it. Not sure if that would work out or not. I don't have enough experience with fiberglass yet. JMHO

Oh good, I may give that method a try then. I don't have a router so I was just going to sand down the edge a little bit and then apply the cloth and epoxy. I'm not too concerned with dings. I just want the cloth/epoxy cover to hold together and protect against water and such. I kinda like the idea of crazy glue. I would think that should work to hold the cloth in place over the edge.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Sharp edges and corners are TOUGH!!! Pre creasing the fabric helps but that's not always easy to do. You just have to keep dabbing at it to get it to lay down. The Method you linked to is also good especially with epoxy. Since epoxy is so strong havinga cut edge won't present any problem

Yeah, much tougher than I was prepared for! Good to know that method is viable. I'll have to give it a try. Seems like it would be much easier. Just have to be careful trimming off the excess...

So, probably a silly question, but how critical are those bubbles or blisters in the glass? Are they structurally compromising or is it mainly that they can attract/trap moisture? If they aren't bad for the structure, then I think I may just leave them along the chine edge and maybe just lay another layer of glass between the chine edge and the spray rails. The bottom being all nice and flat was not a problem so it is nice and smooth. I may see if I can fix the bubbles along the overlap to see if I can get a smoother edge there.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Just an update with a picture of one area where I have bubbles. This is part of the overlap that runs across the hull underneath the dashboard.

Attachments

• photo251927.jpg
    photo251927.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Just grind em out and put some scrap pieces in. It won't look "Purdy" but...It will ensure total encapsulation and not allow water to penetrate. When you paint it, you'll never know the patches were there. Not structural at all!!!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Yea, if to grind them out and install other material and blend/feather them in, paint will cover everything without any notice. Maybe that's why they start painting things in the first place. :facepalm:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Just grind em out and put some scrap pieces in. It won't look "Purdy" but...It will ensure total encapsulation and not allow water to penetrate. When you paint it, you'll never know the patches were there. Not structural at all!!!

Ok, that's good to know. Thanks! I've got some work ahead of me then... :lol:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Man that fiberglass is a lot of work... :eek: I think the bottom is starting to shape up now. I put strips over the joint in the side plywood on each side to add some strength and protection for it. I also covered the screws holding the side plywood to the frames with a strip each to protect the screws. Besides that I have also started working on all the parts back by the transom that need protection. Guess I'll need to cover the whole thing with a layer of spackle so I can smooth everything out before I paint her.

So, making some progress, just nothing that would really show in pictures. :happy:

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Rome or great boat projects aren't built in a day, keep up the fine work and great progress!
​Dale

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Lots and lots of spackle... This is going to be fun sanding smooth. But it will hopefully make the hull look nice and smooth once it is painted. I hadn't planned on this much spackling/sanding but after I covered the side joint and the screws with fiberglass I pretty much had to do this to smooth it out.

Attachments

• photo253056.jpg
    photo253056.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 1

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Lots and lots of spackle... This is going to be fun sanding smooth. But it will hopefully make the hull look nice and smooth once it is painted. I hadn't planned on this much spackling/sanding but after I covered the side joint and the screws with fiberglass I pretty much had to do this to smooth it out.

You are using "spackle"? Seriously? Is that what the plans calls for? I would have never thought that spackle would be used for any boating project being how spackle can cake and crack easily with water intrusion. But then I never built a boat from scratch either.

However, spackle sands extremely easy and fast as well. So you should be able to contour the hull very easily. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
i hope its micro balloon fairing and not truly spackle...

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Well, it isn't spackle in the true sense. I know that hardens into a hard non-flexible material. This hardens but remains flexible so it should be ok I would think. If I let some harden on the putty knife I can pull it off in one piece and it feels almost like plastic. The plans just called for a wood filler, so I went with that...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well, it isn't spackle in the true sense. I know that hardens into a hard non-flexible material. This hardens but remains flexible so it should be ok I would think. If I let some harden on the putty knife I can pull it off in one piece and it feels almost like plastic. The plans just called for a wood filler, so I went with that...

For interest reasons, what is that mixture if you don't mind telling us? :noidea:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
For interest reasons, what is that mixture if you don't mind telling us? :noidea:

I'm at work now and can't remember what it is called. But I'll look when I get home and will post it then. If y'all deem it completely inappropriate I'll chalk that up to a learning experience and an open for other suggestions. It is one of those "plastic" wood fillers for both interior and exterior use so I figured it should be flexible to allow the hull to live a little. And since it will be covered with marine paints and primers I figured it should be good enough... Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though. :lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I'm at work now and can't remember what it is called. But I'll look when I get home and will post it then. If y'all deem it completely inappropriate I'll chalk that up to a learning experience and an open for other suggestions. It is one of those "plastic" wood fillers for both interior and exterior use so I figured it should be flexible to allow the hull to live a little. And since it will be covered with marine paints and primers I figured it should be good enough... Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong though. :lol:

Oh, I am certainly not saying you are wrong or even using the wrong materials. I was just wondering what it was. :sorry:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Oh, I am certainly not saying you are wrong or even using the wrong materials. I was just wondering what it was. :sorry:

No worries at all! I do appreciate all the advice and information I have gotten from everyone here so I am certainly open to advice and suggestions if there are better ways to do things or better products to use. I will post what I am using tonight when I get home and will see what y'all think. I can say that is was something I picked up at the local hardware store though. :)

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
So what I am using is called 'Flex-n-fill' by Gardner. It is a patching paste and it becomes a fairly flexible material when it hardens.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I've been researching the Flex n' Fill filler and Personally I think it might be a bit questionable in this application. I can't and am not speaking from experience but the marine environment is so much different than other forms of construction that I'd probably stick to the tried and true marine wood fillers which are typically resin based products. I'll be VERY interested in the long term effectiveness of it sooo make sure once she's been on the water for a while you report back on how she's holding up.