Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Looks good to me as well. And the neat thing is as you move forward, your learning curve disappears. So future efforts will be easier as well. :thumb:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks y'all (yes, I'm in the south :D). I was surprised at how easy it went being the first time. Next time I will definitely take more time making sure the strip will fit better than I did this time. It did bubble a little but as the epoxy started setting I was able to reduce the bubbles quite a bit. And to answer your question Woodonglass, this was actually epoxy on epoxy as I had already covered the wood with one coat. I did wet the surface a bit before laying the strip down and it worked pretty well. I didn't let it set for a while though and it may have been easier if I had done that. I think I will run a cloth strip down the length of the chines so I'll have good protection of the chines knowing I'll eventually have flooring resting on them. I'll do that directly on the wood I think so I'll keep your advice in mind for that.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Are you using a short nap 4" roller to lay it down.

No, I got a bag of 12 small and cheap brushes when I bought the cloth trip so that's what I'm using right now. They are probably about 1/2" wide. Is there a way to clean them after use or am I right in assuming what I use to apply the epoxy with will be single-use only? For the larger flat areas I am planning to give Ned L's method of using a squeegee to spread it out. That will also give me practice doing so for the cloth on the bottom when I get to that point.

Ned L

Commander
Acetone will rinse uncured epoxy out

(Just use good practice when rinsing with acetone as it is VERY flammable.)

Last edited:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Acetone will rinse uncured epoxy out

(Just use good practice when rinsing with acetone as it is VERY flammable.)

Ah! Of course, and I have some of that. Which reminds me, I did get all that sticky adhesive off of the cowling so now I can put those shiny new decals on the motor. I still need to get the smaller decals off the upper shaft section so I can put those decals on as well.

I did get some cheap 4" rollers yesterday for those large flat surfaces I need to cover on the inside of the boat. I figured that may be easier than the squeegee method there. I'll give the acetone a try when I'm done. Who knows, maybe I'll get to prime the inside this weekend as well!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ah! Of course, and I have some of that. Which reminds me, I did get all that sticky adhesive off of the cowling so now I can put those shiny new decals on the motor. I still need to get the smaller decals off the upper shaft section so I can put those decals on as well.

I did get some cheap 4" rollers yesterday for those large flat surfaces I need to cover on the inside of the boat. I figured that may be easier than the squeegee method there. I'll give the acetone a try when I'm done. Who knows, maybe I'll get to prime the inside this weekend as well!

pekstrom, those 4" rollers work amazingly well. But the fact is they are only a one time use. That is unless you decide to clean them out with lots of Acetone, but then the cost to clean them exceeds the cost to buy new ones. I was easily going through lots of them. And even buying them six at a time in a package at Lowes, the cost still was going up. However, I did find the exact same types on EBay for a fraction of the Lowes prices. So if you have plans to use a lot of them. check out EBay for them and save a lot of money. JMHO!

Oh, I have to say I do like your project. :thumb:

Ned L

Commander
Yep,.. Rollers are probably cheaper to throw out. Brushes don't take much to rinse, so it is cheaper to clean them. I have also found the cheapest way to buy acetone is to buy large bottles of "nail polish remover" at Walmart. It's all acetone, and cheaper than buying acetone in the paint dept.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Those rollers worked much better than those tiny brushes I have. I was able to complete the epoxy layer on the inside in just 2-3 hours. It has cured nicely now and is ready for the primer. At this point I am going back and forth a bit between priming the inside or turning her back over to finish the outside. I am leaning towards turning her back over. I have to admit, after the success with those cloth strips in the bow, I am anxious to get going on the big mat on the bottom! I'll have a bit of spackeling and sanding to do before I am ready for it. I'll have to see who I can line up to help with the flip.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Oops, I forgot to add the picture. You can't really see much difference from the earlier ones, but the wood is a hair darker now on the inside.

Attachments

• photo249457.jpg
    photo249457.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oops, I forgot to add the picture. You can't really see much difference from the earlier ones, but the wood is a hair darker now on the inside.

Looks really nice to me. :thumb:

I have to keep watching your project to see how it comes out.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

So the plans are decided. The inside will be primed and the area under the foredeck as well as below the chines will be painted with a bilge paint. Then the side and fore decking will be installed. Once that is done she will be turned over so the outside can be completed.

On another note, not sure I have shared this before. The two pictures here show what I grew up with back home. The big boat is a Swedish-built boat built in 1968. She is 30 feet long and has two 4-cylinder gas engines. Empty she would get up to about 22 knots. Fully loaded about 17 knots. The smaller one is a 9-foot Zodiac with a 15hp Chrysler (the cowling says 10hp but it really was 15). I clocked it to about 25 knots one time. That's me and my wife back in 1990-something. Don't recall the exact year. My parents had boats since before I entered this world. Good memories. :happy:

Attachments

• photo249664.jpg
    photo249664.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo249665.JPG
    photo249665.JPG
    324.7 KB · Views: 0

Ned L

Commander
That sounds like a good plan, ...... Very pretty! Would you happen to remember the builder of your 30' Swedish built boat?

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
That sounds like a good plan, ...... Very pretty! Would you happen to remember the builder of your 30' Swedish built boat?

Yes, it was built by Storebro in Sweden (http://www.storebro.se/). It is/was a Stor? III. Sweden is where I'm originally from. I grew up on the west coast in Gothenburg,

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Great pics pekstrom! It's always so great to see family boats from days gone by.

Good progress too. Hope to get back at ours soon. I packed practically everything up and hauled it 300km north so we could work while on vacation. Yeah, nuts but what else is new...šŸ˜œ

Ned L

Commander
Yes, it was built by Storebro in Sweden (http://www.storebro.se/). It is/was a Stor? III. Sweden is where I'm originally from. I grew up on the west coast in Gothenburg,

Thank you. I see they are still in business. They built some nice looking boats.
I always liked the lines and styling of Scandenavian boats. That's probably because that area had such an influence on the Jersey shore boats, where I grew up. (Names like Olsen, Ulrichsen and Pedersen)

Last edited: