Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
One additional note on that extra space... Since I'm sure we'll just go out and find a quiet spot to drop the anchor at times, I am also pondering some setup back there that will allow a couple of people to sit back and stretch out. So perhaps something that can be stowed away under normal use and then pulled out and attached to the rear bench to turn it into a couple of lounge-type seats. Just some thoughts I have... :)

bobkat1864

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I've been reading your thread, and finally caught up...she is looking great!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I've been reading your thread, and finally caught up...she is looking great!

Hi bobkat1864 and thanks for the kind words. By all means feel free to tag along. :)

I have epoxy on order and it should be here in time for the July 4th weekend, so I'll have some time to work on at least the first coat on the inside. Now, I know we had discussed the West Marine, System Three and one other brand. But I went with TotalBoat 5:1 as it got pretty good reviews and was a little cheaper. We'll see. Hopefully I won't regret it.

Ned L

Commander
I am using the 'totalboat' 5:1 on my boat and am very happy with it

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I am using the 'totalboat' 5:1 on my boat and am very happy with it

Ok great Ned L, that makes me feel good about my choice. According to FedEx it should be here on Tuesday so I'll for sure have it for the long weekend. Do you have the pumps for it as well? How do you like them? I read some reviews about the pumps for the West System epoxy kit that said they didn't work very well. I know these aren't the same ones but I'm still curious. I'm thinking of getting a cheap set of sponge brushes from the local home improvement store since I will apply it to large, flat areas. What are you using to apply it with?

Ned L

Commander
I have the pumps but have never used them. I weigh the two parts out using a scale as I can control the quantity I need more closely.

When I use brushes I use the throw-away natural bristle 'chip brushes'.
For large flat areas I use plastic 'squeegees'. Actually most recently I have cut the side out of a plastic gallon milk jug. Folded in half. I find that works very well.
I don't remember,.. are you laying a layer of cloth? If you are using cloth, on the first coat, you want to spread only enough epoxy to wet out the cloth, you don't want to come close to filling he weave. By keeping the epoxy on the light side the cloth won't start to 'float'. Save filling the weave for the second, third (and if needed) fourth coat. The strength and protection comes from the cloth, not as much from the epoxy, that's just the 'glue'.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I have the pumps but have never used them. I weigh the two parts out using a scale as I can control the quantity I need more closely.

When I use brushes I use the throw-away natural bristle 'chip brushes'.
For large flat areas I use plastic 'squeegees'. Actually most recently I have cut the side out of a plastic gallon milk jug. Folded in half. I find that works very well.
I don't remember,.. are you laying a layer of cloth? If you are using cloth, on the first coat, you want to spread only enough epoxy to wet out the cloth, you don't want to come close to filling he weave. By keeping the epoxy on the light side the cloth won't start to 'float'. Save filling the weave for the second, third (and if needed) fourth coat. The strength and protection comes from the cloth, not as much from the epoxy, that's just the 'glue'.

I like the idea of using the milk jugs. I may have to give that a try since I have quite a bit of flat surface to cover. I have decided to not cover the hull with cloth. I will just cover it all with epoxy as a way to seal the wood. I will use cloth tape over the joints and edges to strengthen them. I will keep your advice in mind for the cloth tape for sure.

pckeen

Commander
I've seen cloth on cedar canoes before. When finished, it was clear, and added considerably to the strength.

Willyclay

Captain
I saw an outboard runabout similar to your PM38 at a wooden boat show that was finished with cloth and it was gorgeous. Good luck!

Last edited:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, now y'all have made me pondering reconsidering not using cloth. I have to admit, it seems a bit scary to me but I'm sure I'm over thinking it. I'm thinking that the mostly flat bottom wouldn't be too hard to get nice and smooth. So would just covering the bottom and up to the spray rails be enough? I could cover the joints and edges above that with 2 or 4 inch tape? I do want it to last after all this work so if that's what it takes, I'll have to consider it. I saw some 7 ounce cloth 60" wide for about $11/yard...

Ned L

Commander
Covering just the bottom up to the spray rails is perfectly legit, and will give the bottom protection, and help to keep the plywood from checking.
On a flat surface it's not that tough. Lay the cloth on dry, pour on some resin and gently squeegee it out until the surface of the cloth consistently shows (no extra puddling).

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Covering just the bottom up to the spray rails is perfectly legit, and will give the bottom protection, and help to keep the plywood from checking.
On a flat surface it's not that tough. Lay the cloth on dry, pour on some resin and gently squeegee it out until the surface of the cloth consistently shows (no extra puddling).

Ok, that sounds like something I should be able to handle.About 3/4 of the bottom is mostly flat so it would really just be the bow that could be a bit trickier. Although I guess I could overlap the cloth a couple of inches at the stem, and use this method to secure the cloth there. Then it seems it would be easier to wok out the sides of the bow. I may give this a try after all. I'm not that good at woodworking so there are some goofs I'd like to hide. :) So I'm planning on painting it all over. The current color scheme is to have a white top, above the sheer rails. Also a white bottom, below the spray rails. In between, on the sides it will be navy blue. And probably just white interior. I may try and work in a stripe of some sort on the deck and deck sides.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Pek, you might look through the videos ton the link I posted. I know he has one or two on putting the cloth over a hull. If I recall correctly he drapes it over the hull overnight. Then works the wrinkles out and wets it out from the top. I have done something similar laying up a few new fiberglass parts. I actually used some cheap spring clamps on a few parts to hold the cloth in place while I wet it out. I have no experience with what you are going, just some thoughts. I am really enjoying your build!

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Arch builder is correct that there are alot of videos on how to glass in fabric. I have never done it but my son has with his 1970 Hondo speed boat and his parquet floor turned out gorgeous. You definitely want to protect and help preserve your hard work for the next generation. enjoying watching your excellent progress!
Dale

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Pek, you might look through the videos ton the link I posted. I know he has one or two on putting the cloth over a hull. If I recall correctly he drapes it over the hull overnight. Then works the wrinkles out and wets it out from the top. I have done something similar laying up a few new fiberglass parts. I actually used some cheap spring clamps on a few parts to hold the cloth in place while I wet it out. I have no experience with what you are going, just some thoughts. I am really enjoying your build!

Oh, yes, I do need to check those videos out. I started to but then got sidetracked so I need to get back to them. I guess letting the cloth lay draped overnight helps get any wrinkles out? I have a 7oz cloth on order so I am definitely going the route of covering the bottom up to the spray rails. I'll wait with the skid rails until the cloth is on and covered with a few coats of epoxy. That way They will be easier to replace if needed. Hmm, or perhaps I should install them first and cover them with the cloth as well? What do y'all think? If the got damaged they would be much easier to replace if they were mounted on top of the cloth.

I did run the outboard yesterday, just to test it out after it sitting in my garage since October. It was a bit finicky to get started, but once I got it started it ran just fine. I may have a mixture on the rich side because it was smoking a bit more than I expected. I also managed to figure out how to get that big control cable plug inside the motor to the jack.

Otherwise, I am working on getting the stem band in place and spackled/sanded to fit properly. Once that's done I can finish the sheer rails and also install the spray rails. Once that's done I should be able to start covering the insides with epoxy and then paint. Once that's done I can install the decking and then flip her over and work on the outside/bottom. Still lots of stuff to do but she may still be done by late summer/early fall. :)

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Arch builder is correct that there are alot of videos on how to glass in fabric. I have never done it but my son has with his 1970 Hondo speed boat and his parquet floor turned out gorgeous. You definitely want to protect and help preserve your hard work for the next generation. enjoying watching your excellent progress!
Dale

Yeah, there's a lot of good information out there. Google helped me find the steaming method using 6mil plastic to steam in place. I have used that a few times now and it works great every time. I'll give the cloth a try and see how it turns out. I like the method Ned L suggested of laying it on the bottom dry and then pour the epoxy on and spread it out. I will definitely give that a try.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I just wanted to add that I really appreciate everyone's kind words of encouragement. I have learned a lot from all the advice and comments I have gotten on this thread.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Sharing ideas is what its all about, thanks for taking us along on your build!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Great project and thread, Pekstrom. After messing about for several months my son and I are finally actualy making some progress on our little hydro build. Nothing like seeing a few sticks of wood begin to resemble a boat! You are much further along on a more complicated build but you must have had that feeling along the way. Funny thing is, now that we are under way in earnest, the stuff that stressed me out just thinking about tackling just kinda works itself out. Yeah, some stuff goes awry but we just either modify or start the step again.

Looking forward to seeing your work continue!

Ned L

Commander
If you do try glassing the bottom I would suggest working with small batches of epoxy at a time as it may require less than you think. Epoxy has a much longer pot life than polyester resin so you should have time to work through a number of small batches.