Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

Kitch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
SORRY for the late reply Pekstrom,I used 1/4' okume and it took about an hour. I put two layers of beach towels poured hot water on them
every 5-10 mins and it worked great.just have the clamps ready.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
The instructions for this boat recommends covering the edges of things like the plywood with epoxy tape to help protect it against water. This is before any other treatment is applied like painting or covering it with fiber glass. I have been looking around a bit to see what I can find but haven't found anything that seems like it should work. Have anyone here used anything like this they can recommend? Although if I do decide to cover it with a layer of fiber glass I guess I shouldn't need to protect the edges like this?

Ned L

Commander
........"I have been looking around a bit to see what I can find but haven't found anything that seems like it should work.".........

Do you mean "epoxy tape"? ..... Just regular fiberglass tape set in epoxy.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Aha. Thanks Ned L and archbuilder. That seems very likely. So simple. I was thinking more along the lines of the Gorilla tape or Loctite's products but they just didn't seem quite right. This looks like it should work nicely.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Starting to make some good progress. I now have the large bottom piece of plywood cut to rough size and the picture shows it clamped to the frames for test fitting. I still need to make some bevel adjustments to the chines. I also need to double-check that the battens and keelson are nice and straight before I start the process of permanently attaching the planking. There's still hope of this turning into a usable boat! :)

Attachments

• photo243312.jpg
    photo243312.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 0

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

I finally had some time to work on finishing the large sheet for the bottom. It is now glued and screwed to the frame, roughly 160 screws later. The bevel in the front where the bow pieces will mate with it is also in place. I am working on templates for the bow pieces as well as the fore deck, side deck, side planking etc. in an attempt to match the article and keep the number of plywood sheets down. It is pretty tight so not sure I'll succeed but we'll see.

So far this has been an incredibly fun project and I have learned a lot along the way. If anyone out there would like to build something like this (or this very same one) but is hesitating due to lack of woodworking experience, I'd say go for it. My experience before I started wasn't much at all. And as far as tools goes all I have are: cordless drill, cordless jigsaw, 120v jigsaw and a 10" table saw. Oh, and a bunch of clamps and a pair of saw horses. It really doesn't take all that much. For me, the key has been to take it slow and think things through before doing anything. So far it seems to have worked. And I have also gotten some good advice in this forum.

Attachments

• photo243985.jpg
    photo243985.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 0

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Today I got the two bottom bow pieces cut and bent in place. They are held with a couple of temporary screws and some clamps. I'm going to leave them like this for a few days to give them a chance to take as much of the shape as possible while they dry and cool. Plus I need to do a few other projects around the house... :)

I used the wet towel and iron process this time. A bath towel soaked in water and a nice hot iron. They both bent quite easily so for thinner parts like this 1/4 inch plywood it seems like a great method.

Attachments

• photo244451.jpg
    photo244451.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244452.jpg
    photo244452.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 0

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Well I may be in trouble... The place I have purchased my lumber and plywood from so far has stopped carrying marine grade plywood. And I need 3 more 1/4 inch sheets! When I bought the sheet I have it was their last one. They told me they would order more but then it changed to they wouldn't carry it any more. I have called around to a few other lumber places in my area and they don't carry the 1/4 inch sheets I need. The thinnest I have found so far has been 1/2 inch. What's the general opinion on exterior grade plywood? I have marine grade for the bottom so this would be used for the sides and the decking. I guess if I'm not able to find any marine grade then I'll have no choice...

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I know you can order it from a couple places on line, but I suspect shipping will be more than the plywood. Seems like a good AC fir might be a good alternative, if you have it in your area. Did the plans have any recommendations or did it specify marine? How many plys are in the 1/4" you are using?

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
What I am using is Fir 3-ply AB marine grade plywood. The plans just suggested using exterior grade plywood but I wanted to go the extra step and hopefully have it last a little better. :) And as it turns out, calling around a bit more I did get hold of a place who is ordering me 4 sheets of 1/4 inch marine grade fir so I should be set. It is costing a little bit more since it is a special order but at least I'll have it. I did find some places out of state to order from but as you said, the shipping cost was almost twice the cost of the sheets, so that's not really an option in my case.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
Glad you fond some, there is only one vendor in my area that carries it. The project is looking nice!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you. I have to admit, I can't wait to take her out on the lake. :)

Ned L

Commander
Nice job!
'Normally' the use of exterior plywood will be pretty much ok in place of marine ply. However, in this case where you are using 1/4" you made a good decision.
Regular 1/4" ACX has only 3 plys, so any internal voids (which will exist in exterior) will leave you with only the thin face veneers.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
I'm assuming that the 1/4" marine plywood is a 3 ply? If I remember correctly the main difference between the AC fir is the inner face is a B and the marine inner plys are void free? I've only used the 1/2", which if 5 ply if I remember correctly. Just wondering, looking forward to more pics!

Ned L

Commander
I just looked at some 1/4" marine that I have, it is a three ply. The ply's look just like the ply's in some 1/4" ACX that I have ( except of course as you said, no center voids I the marine).

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
archbuilder, I just went through most of your thread about the restoration of Miss Morgan. That was some really nice work you did on her. She looks beautiful! Seeing how your Merc turned out after you painted it makes me think I need to do that too. I do have a set of new decals like yours. The ones on it now look like they have been through some rough times.