Popular Mechanics 1962 PM38 Build [SPLASHED 2017]

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
You're welcome to tag along gm280. I most likely won't be doing much until March or April when the temperatures get more stable and warmer here. I'm working in my garage so I need warmer temps. That also gives me some time to ponder the lumber going forward. Right now I am thinking I'll stay with Ash since I will be covering it but we will see.

Thanks everyone for your advice and tips so far.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Got my new 1980s style Mercury decals from outboarddecals.com for the outboard today. Now to work on removing the old ones. I have read of folks using a hair dryer to warm up the glue and then just remove them with a finger nail. Anyone have any other recommendations? I know it is a bit off-topic but hope it is OK.

Last edited:

Ned L

Commander
I don't know about your Mercury labels, but the hair dryer trick works well on a lot of labels. I would give it a try.

archbuilder

Vice Admiral
heat works, but depending on how bad yours are, they can be a chore to pick off. Hopefully yours come off in large pieces. You can clean up any excess glue with lacquer thinner or acetone. Sometimes you get lucky and the glue stays on the sticker, but most of the time it seems to stay on the paint!

ssdale

Starmada Splash of the Year 2016
Ash was used to manufacture many old ice boxes and is an excellent wood to work with. It was also referred to as the "poor man's oak". I had great luck bending white oak for gunnels. I would go with the oak. Neither wood can withstand any amount of continuous moisture without complete protection. (only tinnies can do that!;)) Good luck and great project!
Dale

gm280

Supreme Mariner
petstrom, if you are planning to remove the existing Mercury decals, that would be an excellent time to go over the engine with a fine tooth comb and refinish the engine if there are any areas with exposed metal. And like everything else, the prep work does determines the actual finish results. JMHO!

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for all the comments regarding the decal removal. I think my first attempt will be to borrow the wife's hair dryer and see if I can get the glue hot enough to come off. Now, gm280 , being a roughly 35-year old motor it does show signs of wear so I have been toying with the idea of touching it up. As you said, while the decals are off would be the perfect time. Does anyone know of a black paint that matches the old Mercury black?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for all the comments regarding the decal removal. I think my first attempt will be to borrow the wife's hair dryer and see if I can get the glue hot enough to come off. Now, gm280 , being a roughly 35-year old motor it does show signs of wear so I have been toying with the idea of touching it up. As you said, while the decals are off would be the perfect time. Does anyone know of a black paint that matches the old Mercury black?

pekstrom, how about just painting the entire engine. that way whatever black paint you use will look matched from top to bottom. The real secret to making the engine look fantastic is prepping the surface for the new paint. There are a lot of refinishing projects on the forums that seriously are not that difficult to do even as a first timer. You can even look over my engine project for ideas in my links below.

WOG likes using Rustoleum paints with the additional hardener. And if you go that route, make sure to add the hardener because that not only makes the paint shine, but becomes impervious to fuels and oils as well. I lean towards PPG Shop Line auto finishes myself, but there are so many painting options available to do that job. I am certain WOG will post his suggestions on this. JMHO!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
PPG 9000 black is Mercury Phantom Black which is also GM Tuxedo Black

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Since it is a bit cold here for the glue, I have taken a break from the wood work and have been working a bit on cleaning off the old decals from the motor. It is a slow process but after I picked up some acetone it is a bit easier. I think the motor is going to look good with the new decals once I'm finished. Can't wait for the warmer weather though so I can continue working on the boat.

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
I realize this may be a little bit off topic for this thread but wanted to ask here since the specs for the boat I'm working on are here.

While I won't need a trailer for some time, I have been pondering what type of trailer to look for. And I guess if I came across a used one for a good deal I might as well go ahead and get it since I know I'll need it. So, for a boat that's 13'9" long and has a beam of about 50", would something like a larger jetski trailer work well? Or should I really be looking at something a bit larger? I was thinking that something like a 16' long trailer would fit a boat this size ok?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I'd suggest you look for something like a 14' John Boat Trailer with bunks.

14-ft-galvanized-jon-boat-watercraft-tilt-trailer-flats-or-deep-v-americanlisted_41589557.jpg

Last edited:

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like your going to have a very nice boat. Another engine paint to consider, is from Moeller Marine products, It's engine paint code 025350" Mercury Phantom Black" . Since you live in N Georgia, check out Lanier Marine in Dawsonville Ga for a trailer, they are also a marine salvage yard. I bet they have what your looking for.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Most every automotive paint store sell the same standard black paint color coded 9700. And it is reasonably cheap. And if you paint it on your engine, it looks factory as well. Click on my link listed below and see it on the O/B I built and see what it looks like. A nice rich deep glossy black finish indeed. JMHO!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Looks like your going to have a very nice boat. Another engine paint to consider, is from Moeller Marine products, It's engine paint code 025350" Mercury Phantom Black" . Since you live in N Georgia, check out Lanier Marine in Dawsonville Ga for a trailer, they are also a marine salvage yard. I bet they have what your looking for.

However the cans and nozzles spray like crap. Mercury factory used PPG 9000 and so does so many other companies

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
However the cans and nozzles spray like crap. Mercury factory used PPG 9000 and so does so many other companies

I mentioned this product because I've used it in the past. I would not recommend ANY product that I did not had absolute faith in. Right now I'm in the process of repainting the lower leg,prop and cowling of a 1999 Mercury 15hp using this product. I'll post pictures when I'm done in a couple of weeks.
nf3dhv.jpg

2we011w.jpg

Last edited:

pekstrom

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everyone for the trailer advice. The Jon Boat style trailers seem like they should work. I hadn't looked at them before but they seem fairly affordable new as well. I found a couple for under $700 with a capacity just over 600lb which should work well for my boat. Since I don't need one just yet I'll just keep my eyes open. I also found Lanier Marine online so I'll check them out from time to time.

I'm looking forward to seeing the result of your work fishin98. I will keep the paint you suggested in mind as well.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks everyone for the trailer advice. The Jon Boat style trailers seem like they should work. I hadn't looked at them before but they seem fairly affordable new as well. I found a couple for under $700 with a capacity just over 600lb which should work well for my boat. Since I don't need one just yet I'll just keep my eyes open. I also found Lanier Marine online so I'll check them out from time to time.

I'm looking forward to seeing the result of your work fishin98. I will keep the paint you suggested in mind as well.

I'm fixen to hit my Alumacraft Lunker project hard in the next week, will be posting.