aluminum repair (welding) in SF bay area?

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have an aluminum boat and I'm in need of a welder to do a few things... fill a few pinholes, weld some bars onto the hull, put a bead over a split, etc.

I can't find a shop in the SF Bay Area that will do this: they either can't do aluminum or won't do boats for liability reasons.

Anyone know of a shop in the SF bay area (I'm willing to drive) who might be willing and able to do boat work (I'm seemingly always in need of a good aluminum welder....)?

Thanks!

jbcurt00

Staff member
Tried any muffler repair shops?

Is the boat a welded or riveted aluminum boat?

Usually best to stay w repairs done similar to the way the boat was built.

jimmwaller

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi-
I tried a bunch of auto and muffler shops, it was always "liability".

The boat is riveted, so I am going to rebuck some of it but there's like some non-structural stuff I want done. Welding some bars on to hold rod holders.... filling a cut that is just right in the middle of on of the panels (i.e. it's not like the rivets are just loose), etc.

Or are you saying that if it's riveted at all, to not weld any part of it because it's a different grade of aluminum or a different alloy or something?

thanks!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Typically riveted tinnies are made from thinner AL than welded which is harder to weld period and especially w/o future problems (cracks) Thus the rule of thumb around here that JB has stated. Also could be some of the liability the shops are speaking of as they have done the work in the past just to have it come back on them again and again.