can of worms?

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
sphelps I can seem a little dense sometimes, OK, often LOL. But I kinda knew what you were getting at with how she'd sit etc; never been a problem though. Had put some forethought into the original build and just got lucky, I guess. About the time I was hunting a motor, I saw a Terry Consowell with an 88 Rude sitting in storage and never could catch the guy to ask anything; but my 100 turned out to be the best bang for the buck (prolly same motor? 88@prop 100@crank).

Anyway, have two deep cycle and my cranking battery under bow seat - the gunwales extended from 0" bow to 4" stern, figured I'd need the extra freeboard aft. Luckily worked out well. Used to be able to pole, paddle, or push in 8" of water - don't like to, got no business in that!!! :facepalm:

Add 15gals of water to the livewell, two people and gear, fuel etc and we're pushing just about 2400 pounds; she sits down/stops quick and holds good position in the wind :D
Jack the motor back up in a day or two, and look out fishes!!

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
kinda stuck in the "dialing it in" mode..... have changed so much that affects operation and haven't been in soooooo looong..... Won't say it vaguely resembles but she IS different!! She's a tad bit heavier in the rear but am thinking that has more to do with the amount of glass used tying the transom to the hull etc - motors are supposed to weigh the same??

The refiguring done with the CMC t/t puts this motor in the same place as the old, cavitation plate 1" above the hull. Am only wanting 200ish or more rpms without changing props - with all I've read and all I've experienced..... just not willing to make the sacrifice just yet. Has a good/great hole shot without touching the trim as it is; and top end is as fast as I care to go, in this boat!! LOL Haven't been anywhere where I could stretch her out much, but will hit 43 in a hurry

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Can't help much on the dialing in but 1" above the hull is prolly as far up as you can go with the vent plate ..At least what I have read ..
43 is plenty fast for me ! LOL !!

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
goes without saying.... basically a 15' fiberglass Jon Boat and you're sitting real low. 43 feels like 60+. I wonder some about the GPS; HUGE difference between 35 and 43 - and top speed I can take or leave.... doesn't matter. A kid at the ramp (20ish yo) in a Bullet and 2.5 Merc says 80.5 GPS with a 26p 4blade and I wonder.... lol But am certain that Merc turns some r's. There was a time when that was me; not today

Can't believe how lucky I am with guessing at figuring :facepalm: I get a little daring!! lol went up 3/8's (in for a dime or in for a dollar?)
Trimmed up level puts it at 1 and 7/16" WOW!!!
By myself and no load, did great; Glass Guy's driveway is at the top of a public ramp. Came back and picked him up, fifteen gals in livewell and still have real good hole shot. She gets a little loose in turns at 35+ but oh well.... Didn't gain any r's but throttle response is a tad better in certain conditions. [motor performance relating to rpms is a topic I need take up with this old school mechanic I know; because I already familiar with everything about about rpms, prop pitch/diameter, jack plates, vent holes etc - and none of that's it]
I've a bracket to make for the t/t unit because I'm up so high; then it's TIME2FISH!!!
possibly get a video loaded soon LOL

Not going to put words in his mouth, but he was impressed, very much so. And so am I...
Can't say enough for your help and all of iboats as well. It's more than just helpful to post stuff up, bounce things off, get some advice and input from others that have already done what you're doing. Even if the advice isn't taken, another's perspective can open your eyes to what's possible.

I'll be so glad to have my head out of this job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

StarTed

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'll be so glad to have my head out of this job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol[/QUOTE]

Come on ----- it's not a J O B ---- It's P L A Y as my wife says I'm doing.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'll be so glad to have my head out of this job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

Come on ----- it's not a J O B ---- It's P L A Y as my wife says I'm doing.[/QUOTE]

funny but true!! Only starting to feel like a job cos am wanting to be done, but are we ever? Feeling like a "rookie" cos it's been so long.... at the ramp and everywhere else. My tackle's a mess but am wanting to fish while still working out things with this boat (package).
A different animal than what I was used to and that was three years ago. Jacked the motor but... lol not high enough to gain rpms, it does well where it's at... however!!! lol The problem is with the "operator" :D

"boat ramp mechanics" sometimes know what they're talking about lol, and this old guy pointed out that raising the motor causes the cavitation plate to "not be able to provide lift". hmmmmmmm...... He might be dead on, this isn't a pad boat for sure. Never tried that 4blade but traded it for "Raker" 13.5 x 24p cos it was the only prop they had (for now). That particular four blade would've been too much for my l/u.

Tried it just for giggles etc, wow!!!! Hole shot minimally affected, mid range thrust increased!!, but lost 600 r's on top end. Can raise the motor some more, but think nahhhhh wasted time, stick with 21" and be happy!! :cool: Trying the 24" again today, this 115 has soooo much torque and power on the bottom end.... need to discuss with mechanic about running that prop and never turning high rpms. I DO NOT need that kind of speed in this boat.

In other news lol, bream are on the bed but hard to get a bite with all the cold rain; threw a topwater bait just to get some practice.... Right at the boat with three or four feet of line out, saw a BIG mouth (guessing 5lbs) come out of the deep, pause, circled around, and took it from behind!!! :joyous: It was all over in less than two seconds, tail hook broke off and got only my bait back :lol: such is Life LOL

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
well..... the three mechanics I know that have experience with these old electric shift motors all say the same thing - bout what I thought. Thes old V4's have so much bottom end grunt, that prop will do just fine - AS LONG AS I don't try to "hold" high revs. Planes easy and will hold plane about the same as the 21p - 2650rpm.
She's running 35mph at 3300 rpm and WOT I just don't know because I haven't and not going to run there, ever. Can feel her starting to flatten out power wise between 4000/4200; soon as I felt that, cut way back on the revs.
ANY of you powerhead gurus, care to comment on ovapropping? lol
It's been a long time but feel as if that 24p on this 115 and boat has as good a hole shot as my 18' Skeeter 150 Black Max and 24p prop did.
This boat isn't that much lighter either; maybe 5 or 600lbs more?

Today was the first time this one guy's seen my boat; wanted him to look at exactly I am doing, just for input. He says, "you really wanna run that Raker on that motor?"
Of course I do.... really am liking the midrange thrust and cruising speed R's.
He says, "I can HAVE this older 1400 Series Procraft" but wants a 100 for the galvanized trailer. LOL

Dagnabb...... I "think" I'll be happier simply with what I've got. Work's pretty much or almost done, minor crap, sheared the pin in my trolling motor ten minutes after making the first cast errrrrrrr!! lol Was Bass fishing, but.... hey, caught 11 nice Bream right where it broke.

Maybe for a "next" project" it's a 14' pad boat with six foot or more beam. Didn't have time to thoroughly investigate, transom seemed solid, aluminum fuel tank, 50hp on back has been sold, just needs............... lol

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
a selfie lol. No one else was interested.... couldn't blame 'em, bluebird day and water up 5 or 6 feet.... I only complain when there is no rain.
Whatever, I'm still playing with the motor some but going to fish while I'm at it.
http://[URL=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/jrttoday/media/DSCF0003_zpslzt5luob.jpg.html]

I will not say she isn't much (by my standards); bought took the pole from me!!!! At 23" and 4lbs 3oz, you can see her tail has healed and just now getting back to eating. SHOULD'VE STAYED AWAY FROM FAST FOOD!! lol Wasn't going to keep her, but..... one of the hooks took out an eye.

I use 17lb line and ZERO drag, fight 'em with pole manipulation; drag is cheating!! it's how I've always Bass fished. It's more difficult in this boat due the weight, my Jon Boat they could pull some. Don't horse 'em in either; Zebco with that 0:1 gear ratio!!!!!!!! :lol:[/URL]

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks fryin pan sized to me !!:thumb:
Glad your reaping the fruits of all that labor !!

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
two really long filets!! Fed two people twice, good thing too, we've already had 30" of rain and there's just too much debris floating everywhere. It isn't what ya can see either; hit a submerged log in 40 feet of water years ago LOL. But am working and waiting until I get my prop back - 21p, put a new hub in it but the guy didn't tell me they didn't balance it. In retrospect, he seemed more interested in selling me a new prop. Been out of the loop awhile and didn't know to go elsewhere :grumpy: :lol:

Might get it Wednesday or Thur? Es OK.... needed time to do this....

http://[URL=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/jrttoday/media/DSCF0002_zpsl1kpqqkj.jpg.html]

"some" of the problem I had with my steering was this tube being to low
Went on to jack the t/t unit to what "I" thought/think would or should be max height - or maybe enough? Ain't gonna try no higher!! :facepalm: lol[/URL]

The two curved pieces under the transom mounting bracket apparently used to be springs for a patio chair???? lol (scrap from Glass Guy lol) Tested 'em before and it does feel stiffer :D - you can imagine the flex from being mounted so high on the unit, didn't even notice the flex until it was gone. And I have (8) 1/2" SS bolts holding the motor back there but only the usual 4 through the transom.

WOW!!!! She's up there!!!!!!!!! In typical fashion, for me lol, might as well be working out in a field somewhere!! Just a rough check anyway... Driveways not level etc etc etc...... With the hull sorta parallel to the ground, and the string kinda inline with the hull at keel and flush with the lu to give at an optical effect.... and the cavitation isn't exactly plumb........ y'all get the idea :lol: This IS critical, but not as one might think (depends upon "what" it is and "how" you think it is critical)
What needs to be exact IS!!! This was just a check to give me an idea where it's at. One of the main ideas here was that it's easier to come back down than to go up - don't have to take everything back off, lower holes already exist.

I'm not "sold" on this 24p prop YET!!! Really do like it, sounds great!, good hole shot, cruises AWESOME!!!! Everyone I've spoken with says the same about old Johnsons - they have bullish power but won't turn up. Wasn't raising my motor to turn this prop at WOT, needed raising anyway imho
Most likely lol, going to stay with the 21p though(????). It's been so long since I'd been out in any boat, it's been something else getting up to speed; e.g. with everything else, hadn't noticed the 21 out of balance until I put on the 24. MAN!! that's a smoooooth prop!!!
But I misspoke or misread my tach, or got confused with data? RETRACTION - it wasn't 35mph at 3300rpm but 3500, not that I care. No longer interested in flying on the water, get there when I get there and as long as I make it back.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK... so the reason I got what I got is cos I'm always trying to make it what it ain't :facepalm: and I laugh because that isn't entirely true. I know for a "fact" that I do push the limits on what should be done or the correct way, but....... you'll never know until you try. My love affair with the 24 is just about over and "might" miss it? Whatever!!! Between heavy (at times) showers today, I tested her at that height; hole shot without downward trim is still about the same and showed no signs of even trying to blow. Since I was alone, filled livewell with roughly 30 gallons and 20ish pounds of cooler in the bow.

I also now have four batteries in the bow, two DC, 1 cranking, and 1 for sonar. After filling livewell, hole shot took a couple or three seconds longer - didn't have a stopwatch lol. She revved more freely in midrange acceleration - 2600 to 3800, not going to push it hard. At 35mph, my favorite cruising speed, she picked up 200ish rpms in moderate turns. NO LOSS of water pressure, still holding 10lbs.

Feel like I need ask someone about water pressure on this motor. It doesn't overheat, impeller is new.... I've read that high water pressure can be an indication of restriction. My old Black Max pumped 22 at WOT, but was running 65 to 70mph @6000rpm.
Because of the hole shot, going with the 21.... Some places I fish, you HAVE to get up in a hurry!!

Supposed to rain just about all week and the fishing..... Hope I can keep myself from "trying" to raise the motor more LOL. Am thinking she'll take another 1/2"..... BUT, different prop different bite. And right now, I don't know where I can get another 1/8th lol

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OMG!! was a banner day! regardless the rain... Rummaging around the salvage yard looking at a Force t/t pump to replace the Volvo-Penta one barely feeding my CMC now :lol:

http://[URL=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/jrttoday/media/DSCF0002_zpsuoin3daz.jpg.html]

Met a young man who thought I worked there; helped him for a minute and explained I didn't work there. We chatted awhile... says he has a t/t for an '85 Johnson that'll work on mine. $100, has a new motor, seals, and fluid; says he used a few months and sold the motor it was on. It's a bit dirty, mostly from laying around; the brackets are why later model t/t units are incompatible with older motors etc. AND!! I might now be able to do away with that BS steering tube mount!!!!!!!

I want it now or at least see it, but he has to go across the bay and work on a boat. Went to the scrapyard and found 9/16" T-bar with 1/4" flange - will cut off flange and use 9/16" to scab over the back of CMC, bolted to and maybe welded? Won't need welding though.
It's 51" long, 5" wide, didn't check flange width - more scrap. Smaller piece is big enough for 12x12 square - might use somewhere??? $20 for 29lbs.

Needless to say, I found the additional altitude I was looking
Was refreshing to meet someone that wasn't interested in selling me something I didn't need or wasn't what I needed - he has an 18 or 19, maybe both? cupped chopper blade for me to try out.

On one hand I've got two old school mechanics telling me that 24" won't hurt that motor, "it's bullet proof" unlike motors today. I question that, but she does have awesome power. Not being paranoid lol, but am beginning to think they think "he'll come see me when he needs a replacement motor"? hmmmmmmmm

Another motor? HA!! that means another boat, preferably a Skeeter with some really ridiculous horsepower!!! lol [/URL]

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I dunnoooo.......... Went to get my 21p and on my way back I stopped to get (2) 3/4' SS bolts etc because the salvage yard's closer than Lowes; ended up pulling a t/t off a motor while he went to lunch :lol: Once again he reassures me that 24p is not too much prop if it runs as I say and I don't try ringing it out. It's likened pulling multiple skiers with any pitch prop - you will never run r's in the operating range. Not going to concern myself with that now - maybe throw a thread out later because I've not read anything directly on point with these old OMC's.

http://

Presently have enough other to address with mounting this t/t; had the pressure washer out to push leaves etc off driveway and hit t/t too. He said and I checked numbers, it came off a 1985 Evinrude 140 Looper - ought to be strong enough!! The bolts I picked up are to lock the CMC in down position - might not hurt to pin it too. Could've just gone out and bought a jack plate with all the bells and whistles, but where's the fun in that LOL.

Biggest concern right now is how much higher to mount the motor?
footnote - need to repaint? the foot cos I used Vaseline over the intake screen; also hit a submerged limb that came up high enough to tear off the end cover on the wishbone (cover showing is off my 100).

Last edited:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Nice score on the t/t !
YOU AIN'T LYING!!!!!! wow!!
I've read several people saying newer t/t would NOT work on old Johnsons with manual settings - to difficult to change over. NONSENSE!! It's one bolt if you have the brackets. And yes, these units go for $450 all day long on ebay without brackets, salvage yard too. I was looking at a Mickey Mouse Force pump (not that they're nothing); it's just it would be the same setup - pump inside, hoses out, and that CMC ram may be partly the problem?

Have to figure out how to run steering cable if using that mount. Would have to cut the deck back some....... suggestions? look at other boats lol. Need to test this 21p at current height before going any further to be sure it doesn't blow

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
:lol::lol::lol::lol:
:lol::lol::lol::lol: :help: lol
the blankety blank CMC quit on me twice while I was out - 1st time a blown fuse and corrosion on the relays; 2nd time it locked while trimmed up, had to break the lines and bleed it down. It's a real good thing that this old Johnson will get on plane without dragging its foot with the motor set where you run at WOT.

the guy that repaired my prop said one blade was 1/2 a degree out in pitch. Made a big difference in how it runs, handles, hole shot, and on top too. If I'd had the Raker with me, could have sold it right at the ramp when I got back to a guy with a Glasstron and 140 Rude. (it's all good, exchanged numbers)

I feel fairly certain that she'll accept another 1/2" of rise even without the added few pounds (20ish) of the new t/t and aluminum. Have a bunch of figuring to do on the plate concerning hole(s) position. Plus, a preliminary check indicates new t/t will give approximately 2" more offset from the transom - won't know for sure until it's on there.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
"IF' I were lied to, or was it just him saying what "he presumed to be true" , or was he just trying to make a sale? No matter "how good a deal you get on something, it's worthless if you can't use it".
Rather than to go ballistic - what purpose would that serve - kicked back on my bucket and the solution became obvious....

Mechanic's Tip - keep your cool no matter what!! And a well placed rag and other tools can often suffice for not having three hands lol

http://[URL=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/jrttoday/media/DSCF0002_zpsxucexl3n.jpg.html]

since I'd rather work on the boat than to fish :lol: not!!! am just getting the kinks out[/URL]; pulled the motor off AGAIN!! lol
I "wonder" if the CMC would 've worked better mounted backwards? Whatever... it's mounted the way it's supposed to be mounted from what they say.
HOWEVER!! this is the route I'm going to take and should keep me busy a few days....

This t/t fits in there nicely with plenty of room; but it will take some doing to make it right. Am open to any and all suggestions cos this will be a "first time" in a manner of speaking. For now, I'm thinking this can be accomplished with minimal hair loss :lol:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
it's funny the things you come up when you just stop and look..... Was worried about exactly "how" I was going to make brackets inside;. and had other worries when started out on this leg of project.

http://[URL=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/jrttoday/media/DSCF0005_zpsxwbx8kpf.jpg.html]

anticipate trimming those brackets down - some for clearance, some for weight. BUT!! existing holes already there for trim unit and others holes are perfect to mount it to the CMC[/URL]
Looking like I'll be able to get rid of that steering tube stuff I made the other day, YES!!