can of worms?

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
That's funny!!! I never thought to look that up; someone I know was telling me the other day about "on the wagon" - can't remember who or exactly how it came about, but something about prisoners on the wagon in route to the guillotine and being allowed to stop for one last pint??
a can of crickets might be worse! :lol:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That's funny!!! I never thought to look that up; someone I know was telling me the other day about "on the wagon" - can't remember who or exactly how it came about, but something about prisoners on the wagon in route to the guillotine and being allowed to stop for one last pint??
a can of crickets might be worse! :lol:

jrt, Oh yes a can of crickets would be near impossible to get them back in. That does remind me of a situation I had some many moons ago (decades for sure). We went fishing with another family. Our kids were small then and we didn't have a boat. So we all fished from the lake's bank. And I was doing pretty well finding a little pocket to catch Crappie out of.

They carried crickets in one of those round cricket cage containers. As I was finishing (artificial bait), I noticed crickets jumping all around me. I turned to see what was going on, and the other family's toddler was eating crickets like candy. She was grabbing them from the over-turned cricket cage and straight in her mouth before you could say anything. Her parents stopped her, but really didn't think it was anything but funny.

I have no idea what a cricket tastes like and honestly really don't want to know either, but she thought they tasted great. :eek: :noidea:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
photoB was down and couldn't post yesterday; these two are not meant to impress, I save my "give a damn" for things that matter. This is the kind of junk I work with - having worked almost always out in the field, you use what's available. Just saying, a fancy shop with every tool known to man is not always required. It may take longer, but what's the rush?

For anyone that welds, gas or gasless fluxcore, holding your nozzle/tip away from the base metal decreases amperage; eg, had + or - two inches of .035 wire out for this weld. And even then, it will blow through this thin galvanized pipe(rusted on the inside). This technique can be used to fill gaps or get some meat to weld to. Much like anything, you have to play with it to know what you can do. Just remember that IF it is load bearing etc, what your initially putting in IS garbage, and needs be cut back out.
In a pinch, can also be done with Aluminum MIG, but it makes a mess - often more trouble than it's worth, and the inherent qualities of Aluminum being what they are, stay away from doing that. Fit it right. Turning your gas pressure up is of no help, steel or aluminum.
In contrast, with stick welding, producing a gap between the rod and base metal increases amperage; and also porosity.
http://

running your beads downhill is faster and less heat transfer; not as strong, so again, your discretion. This table will probably only ever hold the inner skin and be trashed. Or can throw the whole thing out back. Cut the rotted ends off of two really old closet doors, still need to put strips back in the ends

The legs are welded to the inside perimeter of a rectangular base with a slight negative camber to them. The more weight, the sturdier it becomes - until it breaks!!:lol:
And it doesn't wobble

Last edited:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Notice the plywood laying upside down next to the work light. It's from the starboard side and has been laying in that spot for what? two weeks now with about a week's worth of heavy rain. The darker areas were the lowest points of the floor; pretty much dry forward of. But can't be certain of its extent - solution, cure it all, or try to :facepalm: :lol: I don't mind inventing work, but...... lol
off to the Chili Contest! :flame::flame:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks like it will work to me ...
Good luck at the chili contest .. But if ya win you know your gunna have to share the recipe ! :hungry:
Just leave out the worms and or crickets .. :rolleyes:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
not sure if I can explain this? was a fun(d) raiser and social kinda thing. I'm no chef etc, but CAN make a few things; at least, I'll eat it, but thought this worth the time. "He knows just enough to be dangerous" is a true statement about me and cooking :facepalm: and I called my creation "suicide chili" :lol: There were well over a hundred people there, but only eight of us entered - two people to a table.
In my opinion, the guy next to me cheated, but should have won. His base stock was made with venison, and lots of it. Mine was chicken and thought for sure everyone else needed to pack it up and go home!! His chili was as good as I've ever....

BUT! apparently the judges didn't like something? There's no way of knowing, the judges were anonymous - they went around tasting it all and would come back later to sneak a ticket stub in your cup; to count as 1 vote. After an hour, they counted the votes. 50 votes total to be divided amongst eight people. Competition was fierce!! lol But nobody really knew how close while it was going on.

It musta been, mighta been???? He had a small sign beside his saying that it contained venison. I got seven votes and my cup had blown over; might have lost some through the cracks of the boardwalk. He only had five, and they only awarded 1st 2nd and 3rd; so I was fourth or fifth? maybe 6th? not doing the math!
And mine had that lingering heat effect!!!

Sorry to embellish! I ran into a friend of mine at said event that I've known a few years, but how well do you really know someone? Turns out, he's been glassing for years! Even did some glassing for the production crew when they filmed "UnderSiege". The very least, he's coming by to help me with the layup!

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
So the chili contest was a success !... Had some good times ,met some old friends, and got some extra help on your can of worms !
Sounds like a good day ! :cool:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ha jrt, I know how you feel. Okay maybe not, I didn't eat any of your concoction. :facepalm: But you didn't come in last either...I think. :noidea:

But any extra help with your build has to be a good thing, isn't it? :eek:

Either way, sounds like you had a good time. And that is worth every penny in my book! :thumb:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Rain or shine, cold or hot, win or lose, most every day is a good day when I don't get wrapped up in seriousness - I can't afford to... I've already paid the price for that...
I used four large fairly hot? - my buds may be immune - Jalapenos in a large crockpot. I eat jalapenos all the time; once slice is said to have as much vitamin C as a whole Orange. For me, the more I eat of 'em, the less they burn on exit :lol:
Knowing the crowd I was in, might have been "sympathy votes"!!!!

Good help is hard to find these days, but you folks on iboats educate me enough to speak intelligently and weed out the know it alls that have no experience.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
prepping for the prep is a job all by itself. Finished the table with straps made from a very old Mopar fender cover, rather from a leftover piece of one. I had two of them that might could have brought $$ on ebay - gave the better one to a mechanic/friend of mine. The other I used for the leaning post/seat in the bow. The straps hold table top to fence posts.
This project is turning out to be time consuming!! Every little job becomes more little jobs :lol: It isn't a new project manager that's needed, but someone to do all the other life sustaining tasks. Might not have been award winning, but easy to make...
2lbs kidney beans
10 or 12 chicken thighs - remove skin and fat
2 onions diced
2 large red peppers
4 large jalapenos
6 to 10 0z Texas Pete or whatever your flavor
2 large cans crushed tomatoes - forget what oz
salt and fresh ground pepper - easy on the salt
After 4 to 6hrs on high in crockpot, I start scooping out beans into a bowl and mash with a hard plastic cup - plus or minus half the beans. Continue cooking on high and as some beans begin sticking or burning to pot, scrape 'em off and stir 'em in. My philosophy, you have to burn tomato sauce to make good spaghetti.. same here, burn the beans some.
I don't add the bell peppers until 1/2 hour before serving, that way they're more flavorful instead of blended in. Can do the same with "some" of the onion for a real burst!
Also add any water towards the end - this comes out really thick (one bowl satisfies):sleeping: with strings of meat that look some like pulled pork . Leave the bones in too, just break the meat off the bones as you stir once in awhile.

edit--- also, let it cool some, refrigerate for a day or two, and reheat in crockpot for a couple hours before serving. Makes a difference. IMHO

Last edited:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
like said, I'm no glass guy; and don't remember ever seeing these back when I was scouring iboats for glassing tips. Of course. that might not be saying
much :lol: When you guys were talking about "rolling out, I was thinking a paint roller. For the benefit of us that don't know - this is a fiberglass roller.
http://[URL=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/jrttoday/media/DSCF0011_zpsheugzc2u.jpg.html]

not the stator etc that I bought this morning duh. Too much humidity today and doubtful tomorrow; and it's 50/50 on whether or not I do it on my own?[/URL]

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
waiting on the weather, surely you can relate... New considerations, opinions wanted. After I get the transom done and before putting the floor back, will probably fill with AF, let it sit a day, and drain out. But first cut a section in the bow making a dam where it's cut back aft. Raising bow or stern for best coverage.
As far as gouging the top and filling those voids with AF, glassing over afterwards "may" be something done when it's too hot to be out.

The consideration at present is - "should I", "do I want to" :lol: make it so under the deck can be drained in the future. I have not found any evidence to support the floor is leaking, but........ it's all kinda moot?...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I have one of the fiberglass rollers ... I don't use it much ... This is my preferred weapon ..
http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of-six-4-inch-mini-paint-roller-covers-97810.html
As far as the under deck drain holes ... That is totally up to you ... It's been debated many times .. My thought is this ..
I like the idea of an under deck drain system BUT I prefer having 2 drains going through the transom .... One on the very bottom for under deck and one just above that one that will drain the top of the deck ... You have to make a sealed bilge pocket for that .... If everything is sealed on the deck for no water to get under . You have less chance of rotten stringers or wet foam .... But you can still have just in case a way for water to get out under the deck ...
I do not like the the way some bilges are set up with the under deck drain holes emptying into a bottom only bilge ... Any water that gets in can travel back up under the deck .. JMHO .....

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
January 2010 - ZERO experience with fiberglass; maybe? twenty gallons now, but self-trained from reading some but not all.... Just PBing the stringers was first, a 2" chip brush became the only thing I ever used on this boat. 6 or 8 ounces at a time was the most ever mixed. Let's just say "it took awhile!!" :lol: Can't say how many boxes of HF brushes I bought :facepalm: nor how many trips just for brushes!:lol:

No need above deck, it all comes back to the sump; which I was thinking of rebuilding anyway. This may turn out to be a plumbing nightmare! - that episode of the Three Stooges comes to mind!! (I've seen the rerun, but saw the original :facepalm:) not ashamed of being that old. Have other thought incubating :facepalm: :lol:, but am dealing with the motor right now.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
out there in the cold and wind, just had a passing thought.... "wish I could put it all back and say to heck with it" :lol: ooops! too late!
This is taking awhile... killing time waiting on a better day to glass anyway.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
jrt, I bought one of those "fiberglass rollers" that is supposed to be used to remove bubbles from the fiberglass layout. Okay. I almost bought a few thinking I needed different sizes and types. Glad I didn't now. I have to say I tried to use mine a few times and it just wasn't working like I had hoped. So it sits there when I do my glass work now. I just have zero use for it. But then maybe I'm too stupid to know how to use it properly. Now that could be my problem. :facepalm:

I have to say I bought a lot of the 4" wool type rollers and the 2 1/2" chip type brushes off EBay for very little money. A lot cheaper then HF, HD or even Lowes. And I just throw them away after polying. The cleaning solution would cost more then the cost of the brush and roller. JMHO!

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
gm, if we're stupid because we don't know something, I win the prize :lol: I might know a thing or two, but for everything I know there a million I don't!! There's ignorance and then there's "willful ignorance" :lol: Even willful ignorance can be OK as long as it can be justified by "how much work it will take to be informed!" :rolleyes: :lol:

I'm learning a lot talking to old mechanics about my motor (and they refresh my memory); and another old glass guy was telling me that you can take your brush, put in an old rubber glove, then seal it in zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer. Reuse it forever... I could just leave it outside for now
Those rollers are on loan; clean up with a torch. Still need brushes, in my thinking...

Bout ready to make the skin - mentally passed already!! The door to the back porch has an opening top and bottom, unusual - never seen one like. Has HVAC vent also, for a heated laundry room etc. Strongly considering putting my whole house fan back in the window to vent fumes and getRdone!
Might be getting close to a Jeff Foxworthy joke, but I R 1, there is no "might be" :watermelon:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
The only problem with putting your brushes in the freezer is it will make the frozen pizza's taste like poly resin ... :D
I only use the chips brushes on small little area's or corners and such to get bubbles out .. They work best when you cut off about a half inch of the bristles ..
Those resin rollers actually work pretty well on the woven roven but not so well with the csm . JMHO ... As with all things the more you practice the better you get with it ..

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My only concern would be with ice cream! That's a good tip with the brush!
not going to wait on the weather - found a full sheet of 1/4" ply, will make something to contain heat from radiator style POC heater after making the skin. I would like to be done before June!!!

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
but she thought they tasted great. :eek: :noidea:
a very funny story! :lol: and here we are over a week later, and I'm just now seeing this post :facepalm:
And that is very telling, a project like this pushing my CPU usage off the scale!