Mini Hydro boat transom build

lakshmi369

Seaman Apprentice
I am rebuilding this fiberglass hulled mini-hydro. It has only fiberglass at the transom and I am looking for ideas, plans or suggestions on building an independent wood motor mount for the transom. Let me know if you have any info. Much appreciate!

Attachments

• photo235495.jpeg
    photo235495.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 0

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Isn't the transom at the other end? :smile:

Pics of the transom would help. Are you sure the transom isn't wood encased in glass?

jbcurt00

Staff member
... I am looking for ideas, plans or suggestions on building an independent wood motor mount for the transom.!

Independent wood mount?

Do you mean a bracket, setback bracket or pod?

I agree w GA, likely a wood core transom unless specific to that maker.

Why the add on wood whatever you call it?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That looks like a miniature Mrs Unlimited hydroplane boat. I use to have an R/C version of one.

lakshmi369

Seaman Apprentice
Iboats is not cooperating with my iPhone to load pics. Seems ironic! Anyway, the only picture that would load is the one up. I will try a different route later. The original design had the motor mounted on an assembly with a rubber boot around it that had the motor extend through the hull itself. As this assembly and boot is nowhere to be found any longer I am needing to design, build and install a bracket and or transom as the old "transom" such as it is...is about 1/4" of fiberglass ONLY (no wood encased inside, no metal, no bracket, nothing else). It sounds like I may be the first to be blessed with this challenge??? Just for reference boat is former racing mini-hydro from early 70's and about nine feet long. Just putting a period correct 15hp outboard on it for puttering around instead of the 35hp racing motor.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
IMHO there's NO WAY a 35 hp Racing Motor could have been supported on that Hull ona 1/4" thick Fiberglass ONLY transom. NO WAY!!!:eek::nono:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I suspect there was some sort of mount that went w the motor when it was removed.

Pix when you can