Poly resin mixed with milled fibers and cabosil for a wood sealant?

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
How good would Poly resin mixed with milled fibers and cabosil work for a wood sealant?

I am trying to seal some 2x3 studs that I have added to the top of my seat bases. The bases themselves are glassed to the floor. These pieces are up several inches from the floor so I would suspect any water that got to them would be from splashes into the boat from hitting waves. Water would never be sitting on these. The seats would cover them up a good amount.

These studs would be covered with carpet.

This is much cheaper than using epoxy and I hate fiberglassing with CSM especially when the inside of boat is already carpeted and I risk messing up the interior even with plastic down.

I would personally think it would be sufficient for that application. I know resin alone would not. I would basically be coating everything with a peanut butter paste that is a little thinner than normal.

Any thoughts please share. Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
How are you attaching the 2x3's. If it isn't in an area that gets wet, raw wood would be fine for decades. If the wood is not in contact with aluminum, I would simply use pressure treated wood and staple in the carpet with Monel staples

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
How are you attaching the 2x3's. If it isn't in an area that gets wet, raw wood would be fine for decades. If the wood is not in contact with aluminum, I would simply use pressure treated wood and staple in the carpet with Monel staples

Picture the sides of back to back seat bases. There would be some area exposed to water splashing into the boat, coming off swimmers getting on and off from the water and rain if cover not on that would hit the sides. Standing water would never be an issue though.

The 2x3's are screwed on with stainless screws. I am peanut buttering all of the seams with a thicker mix. The thinner mix I'm talking about is for the sealant.

Ned L

Commander
This sounds like you only need a couple of coats of a decent oil based paint.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
WoodonGlass - a member of the forum - posted a method of sealing wood using a mix of 1q linseed oil, 1q varnish and 2q mineral spirt if i am not mistaken. Scale down the quality if you want just keep the mixing ratios.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have back to back seats in my 1988 boat, and the seat boxes and seats and foam are original (although the vinyl has been replaced a few times.) the wood is simply stud grade 2x2's and cabinet grade plywood with no water proofing. as I said, raw wood would last for decades if it doesnt get wet and is free to dry.

using Woodonglass 's old time wood preservative would last decades past raw wood in your application.

unless your going to glass over the wood and finish with gelcoat vs the carpeting your choosing, no need for PB or anything. thats what the carpeting is for.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, the OldTimers Recipe would be my recommendation... You can adjust the amounts to suit your needs. Just keep the ratio the same. Example 1 cup BLO, 2 cups MS, 1 cup Polyurethane would give you a quart and that should be plenty for your needs.

Last edited: