swim platform ladder - chipping all over

dpagini

Seaman Apprentice
Hey All,

Took the swim platform ladder off my boat for the winter as I'm considering doing some repair on it. I believe it's a powder coat that is basically cracking and chipping off the ladder, leaving a lot of exposed metal by itself. In the linked photo below, you can't really see much of the chipping, but this is a photo of the ladder. I got some quotes on a powder coat for the ladder, and it sounds like it will run me between $150-200, which is maybe a little more than I thought it might cost.
Does anyone have any suggestions for alternative approaches besides a powder coat?

https://img42.com/jSYSH

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Try to post your picture directly in your post. Most of us here don't feel comfortable opening links. Another alternative is to use photobucket and post the IMG code of your picture. Rustalum has many methods to prep and finish metal. Stop by your local home depot and get the primer and finish color of your choice. Follow the prep instructions on the can

dpagini

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Ah, sorry about that, here is the photo. Thanks for the alternate option.

Attachments

• photo235496.jpg
    photo235496.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

dpagini

Seaman Apprentice
Updating a few of my posts from the winter as I finish up a few projects...
For this ladder, I tried just about every DIY method I could find online for powder coat removal, and just couldnt seem to get anything to work. I tried chemicals, and I tried scraping it off with a Craftsman multi-tool. I used Aircraft Remover, Paint Thinner, Acetone, and nothing wanted to eat away at the coating. I was able to remove maybe half or more of the coating just from all the places it was peeling off, but that left a bunch of the ladder still covered. I caved and brought it to a sandblasting shop, where they were able to blast away the remaining coat. It's currently still with them getting a primer and new powder coat, and is going to run me north of $250 for the finished product, unfortunately. That's certainly more than I wanted to spend on this ladder, but it was literally going to rust away this year if I did not do something about it, so I think it was a necessary evil.