Seat Base Question

ERock82

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am in the process of building new seat bases on my 14' Bayliner Capri. I am in the dark as far as building these go and am giving it my best guess. I am attaching two pictures. One is of my seat base that I have built and the other is what I believe is a standard Bayliner back to back seat base.

I am having trouble figuring out why the base is enclosed on the ends. Is this necessary? On mine I did not plan on doing that. I am going to glass the 2X3 studs down and the plastic slider rails will line up onto those.

I have circled the area in question in red. If anyone could possibly tell me why or if these are in fact needed that would be great. Thanks!

Eric

Attachments

• Seat Base Pic Sample.jpg
    Seat Base Pic Sample.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 1
  • My Seat Base.jpg
    My Seat Base.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 1

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Is there any reason why you want to change the design? The way i see it, the cross member for sure adding support to the structure. I would build it exactly as it was. Bayliner is a budget boat, if they thought it wasnt necessary, they would have never spent a dime on adding it.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I understand what DeepBlue is saying. However, there are way to achieve structural support and storage areas if you design properly. JMHO!