1987 Wellcraft 250 sportsman

250sportsman

Cadet
We are getting started, and it looks like we have our work cut out for us. I thought I would get a thread started. I am sure I am going to have a lot of questions as this project progresses.

Attachments

• photo235008.jpg
    photo235008.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0

250sportsman

Cadet
No Title

This is after we removed the motor

Attachments

• photo235012.jpg
    photo235012.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 0

250sportsman

Cadet
I have a lot more photos, but the file size is too big. The transom and stringers for the motor mounts are rotten, were still in the de-construction ans assessment phase.

Mark72233

Ensign
Welcome to iboats 250sportsman and glad to see you have started your rebuild. I love these old Wellcraft Sportsman. When we first moved here to Panama City,Florida in 1980 there was a group of hard core divers that had one similar to yours and those guys were crazy, they would go out 50 miles into the Gulf of Mexico in any type of weather and always come back with monster fish so I always associated that boat with those guys. Good luck on the restoration and I will be tagging along.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
yea... Welcome aboard! Nice boat, looking forward to the rehab. Keep those pics coming!

Mikeopsycho

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Nice project! That'll keep you busy for awhile! Have fun with it.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
:welcome: to iboats 250!

Definitely a lot of work ahead but it'll be a great boat when done.

For pic posting w/o size problems use a free Photobucket account and option #3 to put large pics right in the thread.

Second Chance 248

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Glad you could join us.
Make sure to take LOTS of pics & measurements. Take pictures from multiple angles, I can't tell ya how many times I wished I could've seen 6" over.
What's your plans for that pretty little lady?

jarruiz13

Seaman Apprentice
this project of yours will be very interesting, definitely take pictures and any notations will be the main key to ensure the accuracy in the end. cannot wait to see the progress!!:welcome:

250sportsman

Cadet
What's your plans for that pretty little lady?

I hope to do a total restore on the boat starting with the critical structure issues. I still don't know if we are going to have to take the cap off, it's too early to tell. I am only able to work on the boat 1 day a week or so, so it's going slow right now. So far , I know we will have to replace the transom, motor mounts and stringers next to them. The deck has a few issues too. I have some time off coming up, so I should be able to get enough taken apart to know for sure what has to be done.
I have about 40 or so pics at this point, and am taking a lot as I go.
When we finally do get finished, if there is such a thing, we live close to Lake Martian ( 15 miles) and Panama City beach (200) miles will be our destinations.

250sportsman

Cadet
I do have a question. Second Chance, you might want to look at this/respond. The motor mount on the starboard side looks to have been rubbed by the starter. It wore the glass down and allowed water to intrude into the wood. Also, it seems like it would be in the way as far as getting to the starter, oil drain plug, etc. Can't I just build a motor mount large enough for the motor similar to a searay motor mount and leave the back open? That extra wood toward the stern made getting the motor out as well as getting to anything back there almost impossible.

250sportsman

Cadet
We finally got a chance to do some work on the boat over the Christmas break. After inspecting the boat bow to stern, I came to the conclusion there is NO way to re-do the deck, stringers, etc. without removing the cap! If anyone in the future ends up trying to do structure repair on this model boat, I wanted to let them know.
That being said, we removed the cap, and the deck/cabin inner piece is one piece and runs from bow to stern. The good news is because of the design, it should be is should be easy to repair and put back into place. I will post some of the pics I have next.

250sportsman

Cadet
After each post I keep wanting to say 73. I just wondered if there were any of you guys that are ham radio operators too.
Lee

250sportsman

Cadet
It was not as bad as I thought it would be. After we removed the rub rail and about 500 screws, it was time to lift the top. There was a triangle brace at the bow and front deck that had to be unhooked, several hoses for fuel, water etc. and after that it came right up. We moved the boat and backed the trailer under the top. pulled the top out and backed the boat back under the shop. I plan to lift the cap and block the 2x4x10 boards on each side of thee trailer up with blocks so we can get the trailer out for the deck/cabin insert. After that the work on the stringers can start.
Lee

250sportsman

Cadet
We are finally getting back to work on the boat. The inner liner removal is underway. there are some places that are tabbed in, and some kind of adhesive was used to attach the liner to the stringers. It looks like we are going to be able to get to all of that and cut it loose. We are almost at the point of lifting the whole piece out.
I don't have any pictures at this time, but I will add some as soon as we get the two pieces apart.
From what we are seeing, the stringers and bulkheads below the cabin area are in good shape. they are totally sealed with fiberglass and appear to be solid.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You shouldn't TRUST appearance. The best way to KNOW for sure is to core sample them by drilling into them and check the drill shavings. If the shavings are dry and light covered you can fill the drill holes with 3M 4200 sealant and move on!!! You should do the same on bulkheads, motor Mounts and transom.

250sportsman

Cadet
That's good advice. Thanks. We used a hammer to tap the stringers, they were solid, but we will drill them too to make sure.