Pitting inside of hull Help !

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Here is what i am looking at after wire brushing the hull to remove PO silicone i find pitting in the back half of the boat not to bad but to to good either how or can i address this ? Glov it and primer ? Paint ?

Attachments

• photo234873.jpg
    photo234873.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo234874.jpg
    photo234874.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo234875.jpg
    photo234875.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I would make certain all the pitted areas were cleaned out and then either prime and paint or just leave them alone. Silicone has some corrosive properties and that is where the pits came from. You have to be very selective when using things like that. JMHO!

monriverguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
i was thinking glov it on the inside then prime then paint , do i use vinegar and the silicone water to wash once i am done wire wheeling the silicone off ? what is the best way to prep the bare aluminum ?

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
To prep the aluminum for painting, use DX533 and DX503 products from PPG

DX 533 is a phosphoric acid based cleaner and DX503 is chromic acid based conditioner that will form a chrome conversion layer on aluminum. DX503 Is the equivalent of the Alodine brand name from Henkel Technologies. If you can find the Alodin easy, use it. I just could not find at all near by. PPG product are carried by most autobody supply stores like Wesco.

Evaluate the boat for any possible galvanic corrosion near this area before you make assumption that the silicon was the reason for the pitting. Look for things like a rivet that was changed in this area, Maybe it is not the correct material; or a penny that fell down on the hull from someone's pocket