Help,1989 bayliner floor replacement

Jimbo82

Cadet
Hi,I'm new to this website.This is my 1st boat.it's a 1989 bayliner bowrider.I have a soft spot on the floor towards the front of the boat.and the open bow seats are rotted away.But the floor of the boat has a fiberglass coating.How do I go by fixing the floor.I bought the boat for 800 $.I took pictures but I won't let me upload them...

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Welcome to iBoats.

Prepare yourself ? psychologically - for this project to turn into a full restoration. Boats rot from stern to bow and from the bottom up. If the deck is rotted, everything below (Stringers and bulkheads,?.) is questionable to say the least and if the front is rotted, the transom is also questionable.
I know this is not what you want to hear, it wasn?t what I wanted to hear when I was in your shoes, but it is the truth nonetheless.
You need to take some core samples of the transom and stringers. What setup you have, I/O or outboard? How is the engine perform, did you take a compression test and inspect it mechanically?

Take a look at few Bayliner complete restoration projects in the full restoration forum here
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat-repair-and-restoration/completed-boat-projects

Just search for Bayliner and you will get so many of them. Any questions, just ask away

Jimbo82

Cadet
Thank you,sorry for the late reaponse.It does suck to hear that.I got the boat for 700$ and got 1 good year last year.Then I found that soft spot.Hopefully it won't cost to much money to restore the floor.I tried to upload pictures but it wouldn't let me.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
You really will have to check the structure of your boat -- the stringers and the transom, not just the floor-- before anyone can begin to help you figure out what needs to be done. There is a decent chance the deck is the least of your worries.

Do you know how to core sample the stringers and the transom? Is your boat an I/O or an outboard?

Jimbo82

Cadet
It is a outboard ,noninsurance don't know how to core.I was talking over with a few people and my father,I'm just gona patch the soft spot and put some time of sealer down over the fiberglass they layed over the wood floor..and call it the day.If I get another year out of it I got my money's worth.thanks for the help