Floatation foam question

Paceship17

Cadet
Hi all
I have a 16 foot Starcraft 1982 vintage that I'm replacing the floor, plus other things. My question is about the foam. It looks to be the original foam. When pealing off the plywood, some of the foam came with the plywood. Is the foam any good now that the "skin" of the foam is removed? If it ain't broke I'm not going to fix it, I don't know how long I'm going to keep the boat. Also I'm planning on flooding the boat to look for leaks. It that going to harm the foam. The boat was in a barn for the last 7 years.
Thanks

Attachments

• photo234801.jpg
    photo234801.jpg
    131.8 KB · Views: 2
  • photo234802.jpg
    photo234802.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 2

OldLRRP

Cadet
They didn't put the foam in the center of the boat and it seems to drain and rest of the foam doesn't look water logged. I would test some of the foam that came up with the floor boards to see if it soaks up water.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I wouldn't flood the boat to check for leaks because I don't think that's a good idea with the foam in place. You should do a core sample of the foam. Use a length of PVC pipe, 1 1/2" with a sharpish edge and push it through the foam to the hull. Sample in the stern area where water collects and down the centerline.

Having said that, you have so little foam, I would pick it out and toss it. After you replace the deck, re-foam doing a better job than the factory. That really isn't the best foam job.

How is the transom?

alldodge

Staff member
Agree, pull the stuff out and refoam. You can buy closed cell foam in a can (not the big box store stuff) and spray it in, on get the two part stuff and pour it in

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you fill your boat up to look for leaks, your adding about 400 gallons or about 3200# to your trailer. thats a good way to break things.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Looking at the sorry foaming job that was originally done, I too would remove all of it and use mix and pour 2lb foam after you install the floor again. Then you will have everything you need to go boating without worry... JMHO!

Paceship17

Cadet
Thanks everyone.
I didn't think of the weight of the water. The transom was rotted and it is out. Saving it for a pattern. I have to remover the rest of the floor this weekend and then I will take out the foam. Right now it is good support for the piece of plywood that I sit and kneel on.