1991 14.5 foot MirrorCraft Restortion

OldLRRP

Cadet
I purchased this boat about a year ago. I know this isn't too many guys, dream boat but it is the type of boat that I wanted. I've had it on the water nearly every weekend this summer. I added a fish finder and it already had a trolling motor. It had a built in livewell but I needed to add a pump. I've already taken this boat into places where I would never take a fiberglass boat. The motor is a 2007 20 HP four stroke Yamaha. It came with recent receipts for a tuneup and compression tests. It runs great.

If the picture actually posts, you can see that it was painted all tan. This was to be the first stage of making it into a duck boat. There was no primer applied prior to painting it. There are places where the paint is chipping off, especially on the transom.

On the interior, there is over-spray, everywhere. I'm not sure how I will get that off.

I am in the process of removing the paint with chemical stripper. One side is already stripped. It left the foot wide blue stripe at the top (more pictures to come as weather permits). I plan to paint over the stripe and polish the aluminum but not to a mirror finish. I want to make it look close to original.

I plan to remove the floor which seems to be in pretty good condition. Most of it is covered in vinyl which I plan to replace. From what I can access from the bow down and transom up, the spray-in foam is soaked. I won't know the extent until the floor is up.

One of the previous owners built a compartment just behind the fiberglass cap that covers the bow. This compartment holds the trolling battery. It comes back nearly 4 ft and I usually stand on it to cast. His craftsmanship wasn't the best and I plan to replace that and possibly extend it. I want to keep the weight to a minimum and he used 2X4s to support inch thick plywood.

This forum has already been an awesome resource.

Last edited:

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Looks like a nice boat, I'm in the process of redoing a 1988 Alumacraft, I am going to have it the way I want it, so much better than the factory set ups.

OldLRRP

Cadet
Thanks. I'm really happy with the boat other than the cosmetics. I want it purely for fishing. I want as much standing room as possible but want it to be light and sit high in the water. I like to be able to take it in shallow water.