Coating over minwx Polyurthane

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Not a boat but boat related, I'm re-doing a table from a boat, Maple and mahogany top, maple,teak and holly base, I coated the table with Minwax polyurethane but ran out. I still need a few coats of varnish to finish up, and have some Epifanes I could use. Will it affect the minwax? Of course I'm scuffing the layers between coats, so I think it'll be ok? It won't be exposed to the weather at all.

Attachments

• 2015-11-21 10.03.22.jpg
    2015-11-21 10.03.22.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Grub, nice table. I have to ask, why don't you just go to the store and buy some more Minwax Polyurethane and then you know it will be compatible. :noidea:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
My first thought was the same as GM but I know how it goes so,

One of my other hobbies is building cigar box guitars and I use Minwax Tung Oil (basically a varnish) over the factory poly finishes all the time without problem. Something large like a table though I would do a test patch first, in an "inconspicuous" spot of course.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
yeah I could just buy more, but I'd like to use up the epafanes before it goes bad just sitting around. I suppose, off to the store I go!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm It's kinda like Poly and Epoxy. In this case Nope it won't work. Poly over Varnish A-Ok, Varnish over Poly Not So Good!!!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Oh no.... Enough projects at the moment. Rebuilding my 85 Larson bowrider from the keel up, Another Chapperal bowrider that needs tlc...and my old 65 barbor 15' wood boat that needs a re-do. Not to mention the 9n ford tractor that needs a paintjob and a few other things. Oh yeah,the Kolhler genset motor antique type to get running, and an old Fairbanks salt block motor to rebuild. The wife told me to quit looking at boats when I see them by the road for sale...lol. I say just because you are on a diet don't mean ya can't look at the menu........