Excel 1994 18SX Interior Panels

I am trying to remove the interior panels on my 94 Excel / Wellcraft but I'm lost on how to remove them. On similar boats that I searched through this site I saw references to both removing the trim as well as screws "somewhere" in the vinyl. Does anyone know more specifically how to remove them/how many? I have a few parts of the top rail that I need to reupholster and I am trying to avoid destroying the "good" vinyl by using a guess approach. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any reference books/sources that could provide how this boat is assembled- schematic? Thanks in Advance!!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
:welcome: to iboats FeelinNauti,

Compared to cars boats are a limited run production so they aren't documented (parts locations, wiring schematics, ect.) the way cars are. As you found, about the best we can give is the basics of "how it's usually done" and maybe help point you in the right direction, after that it's just some careful deconstruction.

If you can post some pics so we can see what you see then we might be able to give you a shove instead of a point.

wellcraft-classic210

Master Chief Petty Officer
Are you able to see or feel the back side of what the panels attach to ?

Their could be studs or screws that are accessible from that side. That's more common than screws covered in vinyl. Try to think about how it might have been put together -- For example if the vinyl wraps under the panel it was most likely on the panel before it was attached.

postphoto4panels.jpg postphoto4panels.jpg Thanks for the information. I was finally able to get my hand in back. It feels that it is either a slotted or phillips head. Heads are sunk in and may be corroded. Ordered a stubby set and will try to remove the panels. Looks a little more involved than I thought & not much room. (I'm also trying my hand at upholstery at the moment.) I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Last edited: