Nauticus SX Smart Tab's? How do they work?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Have not tried it yet, but have heard from friends that won Carefree that its hard to get the stern up, and it chine walks at high speeds.

jbcurt00

Staff member
If you havent put it in the water yet, I wouldnt put tabs on it, yet, if at all. Yours might need them, might not.

Others w trouble getting up on plane could be having problens based on conditions or problems your boat doesnt have.

Esp older used boats that got different use and abuse from different owners.

Chine walk? Exactly what boat and motor combination are they running?

And is your boat the exact same year and motor?

Last edited:

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
If you get chine walk with that hull you are waaaaayyyy over powered ... :lol:
What jbc said is why I asked if you have run the boat yet ... Ya don't want to fix something that ain't broke .. Until you know it's broke ...;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v9Yvj1FPR3s
This is broke ...

Last edited:

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
One had a Merc 50, but that was the 69' Carefree which is rated at 40Hp, he his boat would lean to one side at high speeds, pretty sure this is chosen waking right? I won't put them on u it'll I test the boat, I'm just wondering if they'd help fix that problem if it does occur

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
I think what you mean is listing to one side or the other .. Chine walking occurs at high speeds when there is just a little bit of the hull actually touching the water .
It will teeter totter back and forth from chine to chine and scare the heck out of ya . Like in the video... :lol:
There are things you can do about listing . Smart tabs can help you stop it.. But mostly redistributing weight in the boat works ... Mine would lean to the port side at times so I have my port side tab set at a little stronger setting ... Also playing with the power tilt and trim on the motor helps straighten it out too ...

Rick Stephens

Admiral
One thing that V boats do, which I think a lot of boaters confuse with chine walking, is how a v hull will nose along like a hunting dog - left, right, left, right. Usually at speeds below plane. Trim tabs *may* help alleviate that. The tabs add a little more directional length to the hull and can help keep it going straighter.

Until corrected, I always figured that at slower speeds my boat was 'grabbing' a different chine and that this is what chine walking was, that constant back and forth. Installing Smart Tabs decreased it a lot, although not all.

Rick