Plywood for Transoms, Decks, and Stringers

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I knew someone was going to comment on the fuzzy cut. That was a cut off piece using a cordless circular saw. I just use that to get pieces more manageable. Actually, I have a Forrest blade in my cabinet saw that will almost leave the cut shiny. Sorry.... my insecurity made me explain that. :)

Aww man you pulled fuzzy the pix... :lol:

GoldDuster360

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, a full restoration on a typical 20ft boat will usually require about 6 sheets of plywood. At that price That would be a little over $500 bucks for the wood. If you bought the cheaper Ext. Grade at $35 bucks a sheet and used Polyester resin, the savings on the wood would pay for approx. 10 gallons of resin. Some guys need to budget for their boats in such a manner, others want the "BEST" of everything. To each his own. I think it's important that we try to show everyone ALL the options so they can make the best choices for their situation.:D;)

Agreed. Also, polyester resin would be a distant second to epoxy resin, it does not soak into the wood nearly as well.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Actually, the absorption properties for both resins is probably about the same. Epoxy DOES do a bit better at stopping water absorption and it's also a better adhesive and a bit stronger too!! But you pay the price for all those qualities. Polyester resin will do a more than adequate job when it comes to doing repairs on a fiberglass boat, as long as you pay attention to the details and do good prep work and good application techniques.;) My boat's 55 years old and made entirely from Polyester resin. She's still going strong!!! :eek::D

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
I have been out for a while but will tell you for a fact, the cheapest plywood will hold for 7 years at least if glassed in a fair manner. Mine has it has been in use and sitting outside under a boat cover when not with no repair to the original glassworks preformed 7 plus ago. Just a bit of info for whoever needs it, not mention to upset anyone

Ned L

Commander
Oops,... Didn't realize I duplicated something already said above.

Last edited: