86 Smoker Craft Challenger floor replace

Johark53

Cadet
Hey bow guy I'm not sure any of your project requires fiberglass never use pressure-treated fiberglass will not mechanically Bond and no matter what you use it's going to rot so you buy the cheap CDX trick is you take polyester resin you add styrene you thin it out really good you add 60 cc's of hardener to a quart resin you just made yourself a hot coat of resin now take your plywood And you coat both sides you just made a piece of plywood that will last at least 20 years you have any questions give me a holla

jbcurt00

Staff member
I wouldnt advise doing any of that ^^^

Sorry Johark, but its not a good idea to thin polyester resin, or to use it w/out cloth or mat

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I'm confused as to why he would think a boat that was just splashed with an AL deck needs poly resin on anything?

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'm confused as to why he would think a boat that was just splashed with an AL deck needs poly resin on anything?

I have no idea, but i think it goes back to the initial post.

Still, strange advice from a 'professional' boat builder :confused:

Last edited:

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Thanks for the Ride Bow Guy! Nice job on the rebuild. :thumb:

I believe you're traveling south on the Huddy towards the Beacon / Newburgh bridge...true story? That's a great stretch of river...and nothing like Newburgh Bay with a tide-opposing N/S wind!

Bow Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the Ride Bow Guy! Nice job on the rebuild. :thumb:

I believe you're traveling south on the Huddy towards the Beacon / Newburgh bridge...true story? That's a great stretch of river...and nothing like Newburgh Bay with a tide-opposing N/S wind!

Yes Thats it classiccat.. Are you from the area? I splash at Chelsea in Wappingers Falls

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Yes Thats it classiccat.. Are you from the area? I splash at Chelsea in Wappingers Falls

I thought that looked familiar :) I recently moved from that area...worked in East Fishkill and lived over in Orange county. I would usually put in at Gulleys. You're just in time for the run! Are you a bloodworm or a herring guy? :)

Bow Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I thought that looked familiar :) I recently moved from that area...worked in East Fishkill and lived over in Orange county. I would usually put in at Gulleys. You're just in time for the run! Are you a bloodworm or a herring guy? :)
Lived east fishkill for 23 years near ibm now in wappingers.... Bloods

Johark53

Cadet
No Title

Hi
Y'all polyester is made with styrene and yes you can thin it out just add more hardener it will seep into the plywood and cure hard best damn piece of plywood you'll ever get and not only that your fiberglass will bond better looks like you guys can learn a few things

Attachments

• photo239905.jpg
    photo239905.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0

Johark53

Cadet

Sorry Johark, but its not a good idea to thin polyester resin, or to use it w/out cloth or mat

Sorry guy but you have no idea what you're talking about it's obvious that you never hot coated wood so it don't Rot and bond better

Last edited:

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hi
Y'all polyester is made with styrene and yes you can thin it out just add more hardener it will seep into the plywood and cure hard best damn piece of plywood you'll ever get and not only that your fiberglass will bond better looks like you guys can learn a few things

Seriously Johark you really should read his thread first. Also look at the pics of his decking and then say he needs any fiberglass. Here's a pic from 2 pages back to save you the trouble. Yeah that deck is not a "damn piece of plywood" it's all aluminum.

IMG_0771_zpsutvdxtis.jpg

Johark53

Cadet

His original post was that he asked what was the best piece of plywood to use Marine or pressure treated I read it

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Soooo, JoHark53 what is your past experience with Polyester Fiberglass Resin? Thinning Polyester Resin "A Bunch" with Styrene is really a BAD idea. It Weakens it severly. The resin is intented to Encapsulte the wood to keep water from penetrating. It's not intented to be totally absorbed into the wood. Also,there's approx. 950 cc in a quart of resin. The correct mixing ratio for hardener is 1.5% sooo that means you should add only about 14 cc of hardener. If you added 60 cc. the mix would probably "Kick" off before you could get it out of the container and could potentially start on fire from the chemical reaction and heat generated. As previously mentioned, since Polyester resin cures extremely hard it's pretty much useless without the addition of Chopped strand mat to act as a binder. When used alone when the wood flexes, the resin WILL flex and crack and allow water to penetrate into the inner recesses of the wood. Plywood can only absorb a minimum amount of resin anyway due to the fact that the flat areas of the wood are approx. 1/16" thick and then you hit glue that stops anything from being absorb further into the other layers. The only place where major absorption can occur is on the edges. That's where a concentrated effort should be made to ensure the plywood is sealed correctly.

Last edited: