Larson Lapline All American

jbcurt00

Staff member
That damage looks to be from hitting the trailer...

Power loading w trailer not backed in enough
Waves/wakes bouncing boat into rear cross member while loading
Hitting rocks while beaching
Rollers that are failing and no longer rotating while loading the boat
Cross current at the ramp making it tough to hit the trailer just right.

If the keel was damaged and owner continued to load/unload the boat, the 2 keel chunks missing (w out black roller smears) could probably damage the rollers too. That'd make them less effective rolling stock for loading/unloading as well.

However it happened, I'd agree that it appears the keel hit some part of the trailer, repeatedly.

Woodonglass, didnt you hit the trailer's rear cross member w the BF during 1 of the 1st trips out? Chipped the keel? How did you resolve that so it wouldnt happen again? Raise the bunks and rollers?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Gee Thanks for the Yukky Reminder!!!!:D

But you are correct, I sure did but as you stated it was because of improper loading technique and a bad crosswind causing me to hit the cross member. Once I repaired the damage to the keel I bought all NEW rollers and shafts, Made sure that they were adjusted to the proper height and then sought advice on how to use my trailer properly. I found out from another member with the exact same trailer that I was loading the boat all wrong so once I understood the proper technique, I've had no further issues and my keel still looks brand new. That's why I said... IF the trailer was causing that damage to the keel, it needed to be fixed (adjust the rollers, buy new ones so they roll properly, raise the bunks, what ever it is that's causing the issue.) If it can't be repaired then a NEW trailer is needed.

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yup, I completely agree that the trailer is the culprit here and it WILL be fixed (see my last statement about rebunking the trailer) so this can't happen again. We will keep the center rollers, but will add full length bunks as well as side bunks. When we got the boat last year we took it out one time and the trailer is set up all wrong. The keel would scrape at every section unless it was perfect, and I mean perfect on the approach. Since this boat is going to be driven and trailered by a 16 yo, we will set it up to be much easier to use.

As for beaching the boat, I just don't see that happening. Where we will be going 90% of the time it will just get anchored for the times we play in the water.

So that helps...no Keel Guard.

Thanks guys!

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Making progress! We have most of the sanding done, and are going to start fairing this week. The keel repair turned out great. Hoping to prime/sand/paint in a week or two! image2.jpg
image3.jpg
image2.jpg
image7.jpg
image8.jpg
image9.jpg
image11.jpg
image2.jpg
image2.jpg

Attachments

• image5.jpg
    image5.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I remember those days. It looks like it never happened. NOTE: I spent a lot of time and effort making mine perfect and...on the first trip out I destroyed the keel on the trailer. Ended up having to do it again!!!:eek::D;)

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm noticing a trend in my posts...every time I forecast how much we are going to get done "in the next few days" a few months roll by and not much progress happens. We have gotten busy with summer, then school starting, and my wife and I have been shopping every weekend for our first lake cottage.
We did get a second boat identical to Alaina's, same color and everything. We will be using the seats and windshield from that boat, and also took the deck to use as it had no blistering like the original one did.
I was able to take a week of vacation this week to do nothing but sand and fair. That part is truly done, so now I just have to put up my paint booth and get the primer out!
Hopefully over the next week (or maybe 3 months) I will have pictures of a freshly painted boat!

Willyclay

Captain
We did get a second boat identical to Alaina's, same color and everything. We will be using the seats and windshield from that boat, and also took the deck to use as it had no blistering like the original one did.

Great find on the donor boat. Huge time and money saver. Hang in there, we know you can get this done!

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just checking in. We are making progress. The boat now has epoxy primer, high-build sanding primer (mostly sanded off) and will get more high build this weekend after some icing work on pin holes etc.
Hoping to get paint on it this week. As it is a two tone, it will have to have another round of paint at the end of the week. We are keeping an eye on the temps, and are still ok for the next 10 days.

We did get delayed as we finally made the decision to purchase a lake home. That process has been a lot of fun, but it certainly took time away from the Larson work. The good news is that we now have a permanent home for Alaina's boat. We will be getting a lift between now and spring so that her boat has a place to stay out of the water all summer, but will be ready to go at any time. I'm really excited to see her get to use HER boat after all the hard work!

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think it's called Bahama Blue...I'll check. Its a darker/brighter shade than what was original, but this is what my daughter wanted. I like it!

jbcurt00

Staff member
WOG was probably also asking who made the paint too...

Nicely done, it looks great

Drb007

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here's what we used. It weren't cheap... IMG_6514.JPG
Our paint guy said there's some high-end boat company that uses this on all of their boats. Don't know anything about that, but am very please with the quality of the spray.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Oh Yeah, that's almost like Imron!!! I believe archbuilder is using it on His Fuggly project.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
DrB....Everything sure does look Great! Great work and super nice paint job.