Sears Gamefisher Durafloat ABS hull reinforcement

ChronoFish

Cadet
Hi Crew,

Background:
For a long time I was on the lookout for the mythical "free boat". With a little barter I landed a free Sears 12' Super Gamefisher 1200 & trailer (& seized Ted Williams 7.5 HP motor). After patiently scouring craigslist I landed a second Ted Williams 7.5HP motor for $100. The setup has been working great and I've taken it out a number of times in Pawtuxet Cove and the Providence River where I normally fish from a kayak. This is my first boat (aside from the kayak).

Wear:
The 1975 boat is made with "Durafloat ABS" which is a hard plastic. But after 40 years the plastic is brittle. During a recent storm I turned the boat over and discovered a quarter size hole in bottom. It's possible that I did it as I was flipping boat (letting a rock pinch it) or it's possible I did it earlier. I used marine epoxy with success, but then bumped into the boat with a 2x4 on the gunnal and it left another ding. While I was a clutz to do so, it was shocking how easy it got dinged.

Next Steps:
I'd like to reinforce the entire outside hull and gunnals with fiberglass. I am looking to the good people here on the forum to steer me away from this idea if it's going to end up in an exercise in mold-making (via separation) rather than a strengthening of the hull. (It's all a learning experience for my "next" boat, so I am not afraid to do it).

Question:
Will this work and is it worth it?

Thanks!
CF

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Trying to do a full overlay of fiberglass on a Sear Gamefisher Plastic boat is an exercise in futility IMHO. It just isn't going to adhere very well. You MIGHT use the GFLEX brand of epoxy and get a somewhat satisifactory bond, but I'm not certain. I'd call the manufacturer and discuss it with their techs before I went forward with the project. I might make the cost of your "FREE" boat not be worth the effort!!!

But I AM just an Old Dumb Okie so take that into consideration!!!!;):eek::faint2:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Not much sticks to ABS. Unfortunately the plastic has most likely deteriorated beyond repair.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The Gamefisher is hard ABS over a dense foam.

Many disposable small fishing boats made that way. once the molds were done and payed for, the boat probably cost about $10 to produce (blow molded hull filed with foam).

I have heard of people pealing off the ABS and coating the foam in epoxy and cloth. in my mind way too much expense to repair an inespensive boat.

ChronoFish

Cadet
Trying to do a full overlay of fiberglass on a Sear Gamefisher Plastic boat is an exercise in futility IMHO. It just isn't going to adhere very well. You MIGHT use the GFLEX brand of epoxy and get a somewhat satisifactory bond,

Thanks Woodonglass,

That is my fear. GFlex has come up several times. Maybe a layer of gflex followed by fiberglass?

Thanks,
CF

ChronoFish

Cadet
I have heard of people pealing off the ABS and coating the foam in epoxy and cloth. in my mind way too much expense to repair an inespensive boat.

Thanks Scott,

The hull seems strong enough that breaking it apart to get to the foam would be a waste. But it would be great to get a couple of years out of it and hand it off to someone who would also be able to enjoy it for some time.

-CF

jbcurt00

Staff member
I'd suggest you look for an epoxy putty thats made for ABS. If you've only got a quarter sized hole or smaller, I'd think those 2 part putty sticks that you knead together would be easy to mix, apply, and shape so that it would hold against the inside and outside of the hull hole, cure and remain in place.

JB Weld #8237 PlasticWeld for ABS

ChronoFish

Cadet
I'd suggest you look for an epoxy putty thats made for ABS. If you've only got a quarter sized hole or smaller, I'd think those 2 part putty sticks that you knead together would be easy to mix, apply, and shape so that it would hold against the inside and outside of the hull hole, cure and remain in place.

JB Weld #8237 PlasticWeld for ABS

Thanks Jburt00, That is exactly what I did for the hole I put in the bottom. It's evident that other repairs on the boat have been made with type of putty too.

What I'm looking to do is more preventative maintenance. I would like to add an extra layer (of something) over the entire bottom that will make it a tad more robust.

Thanks!
CF

Scott Danforth

Staff member
you are fighting the degradation of the ABS from UV. The UV stabilizers in the plastic have long since broken down

basically, if you have a sears gamefisher from the 50's it was aluminum and people still use them today, if it was fiberglass from the 70's, it was a good boat and people still use them today. if it is the ABS/Foam composite super gamefisher, they suffered from UV degradation and most have long since been scrapped.

to quote another forum

In the early to mid 1970's, there were two companies that made FG boats for Sears. The "Gamefisher" (12', V-hull fiberglass, most of them a dull green color, later ones were white with dark green seats) were made by MFG and are actually pretty good boats.

There were some 12' V-hull white plastic/foam composite (similar construction type to Whaler but MUCH lower quality materials and workmanship) boats sold as "Super Gamefisher"that were made by a long-defunct company, Seacrest, in Washington, NC; these boats suffered serious UV deterioration problems. If I recall correctly standard fiberglass doesn't adhere well to the "plastic" (whatever it is) from which these boats were made. Haven't seen one in years. Seacrest also manufactured a 12' cathedral-hull version for Shakespeare.