Blue Fin Spectrum complete restoration

• Gluvit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
WELL I DRILLED A HOLE THROUGH MY HULL!!!! Progress is slow cause of all the small stuff I hafta do before I lay down carpet:( my dad is helping me now so it's going much faster!!:)
ADVICE: Don't go back and forth to your boat while your restoring it!! Find a volunteer!!

chasmo

Seaman Apprentice
Lol great point!! Where would I go to get this aluminum?

​You would be surprised what you can do with old aluminum extension ladders I an aluminum boat with no sub floor. Used them on my SeaNymph 14R flooring.

Last edited:

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
NEED HELP HERE GUYS!!!
My dad did most of the wiring in the boat & he connected all the ground wires to the hull.
I didnt really like that, but he's my dad and I figured he's smarter than me anyway!!:/
Now after some searching I find you DO NOT want to ground to the boat!!
Can anyone confirm this, and if so tell me why not?

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
PS: all the ground wires are connected to the hull with a rivet "if that makes a difference?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Nope, on an alumimum boat you DONT want to ise the hull as a ground.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
It's common in automotive wiring to use the chassis as a ground but when you do it in a tin boat you turn the hull into a big anode. While it might take years we don't need to invite an more corrosion then we have to.

Edited to add: You can run all the grounds to one binding post for convenience just make sure it is isolated from the hull.

Last edited:

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well could I have 1 ground wire running around the boat and have everything connected to it, or should they all be seperate?

Bow Guy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It's common in automotive wiring to use the chassis as a ground but when you do it in a tin boat you turn the hull into a big anode. While it might take years we don't need to invite an more corrosion then we have to.

Edited to add: You can run all the grounds to one binding post for convenience just make sure it is isolated from the hull.

I am interested in how to mount the single ground post/bar also... following!

Nice work xmxaxrxtxyx !!

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Now that I'm not fresh off of work and I've had some sleep lets back up a step Marty,

A chassis ground like this

You don't want for the above described reasons. If you're talking about merely riveting a wire/cable support to the hull then you're ok so long as you seal the hole.

On a small tiller boat with just say a fish finder on one side and a few lights it may make more sense to just home run (a + and - the entire length) everything to a control panel or the battery.

Give us an idea of what/where you are powering and we can help with a plan.

Bow Guy said:
I am interested in how to mount the single ground post/bar also... following!

I haven't looked in your thread (today) but post up what you're trying to do and you know we can give you ideas.

Last edited:

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok I have a switch for inside lights, navigation lights, bilge and spotlight. Then I have the fishfinders, fuel sender and gauges hooked up like that too. Posting pics promptly

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo238705.jpg
    photo238705.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo238706.jpg
    photo238706.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo238707.jpg
    photo238707.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 1

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Attachments

• photo238708.jpg
    photo238708.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo238709.jpg
    photo238709.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 0

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Ice chest drawer

Attachments

• photo238710.jpg
    photo238710.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo238711.jpg
    photo238711.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 0

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Where does you trolling motor power come from? Same batteries as lights or is it on it's own battery?

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Trolling motor and electric start boat motor are directly hooked up to a separate battery

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Just finished wiring my Alumacraft...here is a look of the fuse panel the 2 10 gauge black and red come straight off the battery, then everything runs out of the fuse panel, excuse the white wire, using that as a ground wire as I ran out of 14ga black. Then everything runs off the fuse panel, to the switch, aux plug and the depth finder,
nv5qty.jpg

3306yiq.jpg

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just finished wiring my Alumacraft...here is a look of the fuse panel the 2 10 gauge black and red come straight off the battery, then everything runs out of the fuse panel, excuse the white wire, using that as a ground wire as I ran out of 14ga black. Then everything runs off the fuse panel, to the switch, aux plug and the depth finder,
nv5qty.jpg

3306yiq.jpg

Now THATS an organized arrangement!!:)

chasmo

Seaman Apprentice
XMAX...I just pulled the wiring harness from under the dash of my 87 Sportsman. There is a buss bar / fuse panel there. The red goes to positive and black to negative of the battery as you know. I have pictures if your interested. I was thinking of putting the same breaker box as above but the original is so simple I'm gonna keep it the same. Trolling motor connects to its own battery thru a 60amp breaker.