Blue Fin Spectrum complete restoration

• Gluvit

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks! I'm always curious when it comes to paint cause I'm not a professional either but have 2 boats waiting for paint jobs. Had thoughts of using Brightside Flag Blue but there isn't a distributor nearby that carries it.To have them special order it is quite costly.

Looking forward to see what you do.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Oh now looky there!

Marty said:
Gonna be gorgeous!!:)

I'll 2nd your own opinion. I like the scheme and of course blue is my favorite color so that makes it even better.

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another question for you experienced ppl:
I put a layer of Gluvit on all the rivets & seams inside the boat and was wondering if it'd be ok to spray over it with FlexSeal to give it some more sealing?
Dnt really wanna put another layer of Gluvit if I dnt have to:(

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well what brand paint was it, what method did you use to apply it, how many coats? How much paint did it take?

I now see that the paint was Brightsides. What do you think of it? Hard to use?

Well I didn't have a problem with it and it looks great on my old boat. But then again I dnt have a lot of experience so I wouldn't know a difference:/
I have heard tho that Interlux Perfection is a better paint?

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

One more coat and this baby will be done:)

Attachments

• photo234576.jpg
    photo234576.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another question:
I ran out of bottom paint so was wondering if it'd be ok if I painted the last coat on the bottom with Brightside Polyurethane?
I know it's not recommended but what exactly happens if I do that?

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So I want the 12 gal. belowdeck gas tank underneath the drivers seat. Is that a bad idea or should it be ok?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Another question:
I ran out of bottom paint so was wondering if it'd be ok if I painted the last coat on the bottom with Brightside Polyurethane?
I know it's not recommended but what exactly happens if I do that?

Adhesion problems? Maybe one will eat the other, Not sure.

On the fuel tank, if you can't put it in the center then under the passenger seat would be better for weight distribution.

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yea the paints did not blend well!!:( it looks ok, but I painted it on Friday I think and it is still quite sticky, so will sand that off and wait on the bottom paint.

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Adhesion problems? Maybe one will eat the other, Not sure.

On the fuel tank, if you can't put it in the center then under the passenger seat would be better for weight distribution.

Ok, but here's my issue..
On the passenger side I'm gonna have my entire electronic setup, my installed King Starboard tackle box and the 1st passenger seat on top of a slide-out cooler.
Dnt know if I'm allowed to show these examples. So if not, the moderators can just delete them:)

Attachments

• photo234838.jpg
    photo234838.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo234839.jpg
    photo234839.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 0

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Gotta do what ya gotta do, just have to make sure you keep the cooler full and only drink as fast as the engine drinks. :D

On a serious note - I was thinking side console boat with you sitting on top the fuel tank, but I just looked back and reminded myself that you're going back with a tiller. If that is the case balance is still an issue but not as big.

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Lol yea believe me, my ideas have changed drastically since I got this boat!! Wish there'd be some way to figure out the weight for each side, but I guess I'll just hafta use my imagination:)

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well my next problem.... my Splashwell outlets were broken, so I removed those to put in the new ones, and I found some bad transom lumber around the hole. Is that a concern or should Gluvit keep it ok when I completely seal the new outlets?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I'd say might as well replace it while you're doing the boat. If you keep it, it's done and no worries, if you sell it it'll be a selling point.

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm gonna keep it for a while I hope:)
But how do I go about to get the wood out?

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm gonna keep it for a while I hope:)
But how do I go about to get the wood out?

You will have to take off the transom cap, then the wood will be exposed. You already removed the drains, so the next step is to remove all the screws and fasteners that are holding that wood transom in. Then pull transom wood out the top. Do so carefully so that you can use the old transom as a template for your new wood that you will be replacing with. There are many, many references here on how to do this.

For me I simply tried to put an eye bolt in both sides of the transom and pull out the old rotten transom, but it was already too broke to remove this way, so believe it or not I removed the aluminum plate facing the interior of the boat and vacuumed the transom out. It was totally rotten on my tinny....:grumpy:

Hope this helps...
Frey

IMG_0034_zpsblkqc5h2.jpg

IMG_1828_zpsi7blxqy5.jpg

IMG_1841_zpsykmwbm4o.jpg

xmxaxrxtxyx

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Man you're making me not wanna check it out!!:/ I already painted the outside of the boat, so if I can't change it without removing the outside part, I prob won't.
I will check into it tho just in case