1967 Starcraft resto, code name "On Holiday"

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I know for sure that the top of the IO transom on the older SC's have a 15 degree angle that needs cut. You're top side wings look like they need that angle as well in order to fit under the end caps.

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, the SN tag was mounted to the transom and painted over by the PO. Can we get the tag reproduced? How, where? 20160209_131715_resized.jpg

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Morning Rob, Yes they will need to be beveled. I'll trace the angle before I take it out and do that. I need to go find some short pieces of heavy gauge angle to re-enforce the knee brace too. Lots of things to do. I'll be gone to the boat show a couple days this weekend and off to work and pick up the donor boat next week so no progress next week.

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another question, I went with the Minwax epoxy for the transom. It says it has UV protection. Does it have enough protection that I wouldn't need to paint over it? I'd like to leave the look of the wood exposed. There must be a way with all those wood boats out there. I'd also like to leave the side panels exposed wood to go with the cream color of the topside and upholstry. A lighter brown for the carpet. Yea, I thought vinyl, but this will be a pleasure boat, not a fishing boat.

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I like that plate, great Idea. Sure nice not to have to re-invent the wheel. I'll waive on my way by Monday and friday Rob.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I've used GarzonStudios before, they do nice work, quick too, for a SeaNymph as well. IIRC, they have a Starcraft logo'd capacity plate.

Recently I had an actual plate engraved after being printed via Sublimation. Might look around and see if a local engraving/trophy/print shopncan do the sublimation process. Ink is printed onto the alumimum plate
59Clippersplate_zpsc55bc3d2.jpg

jbcurt00

Staff member
MinWax epoxy? Never heard of it. Couldnt find any info either.

MinWax Spar maybe or a typo?

If its UV stable, then no you shouldnt have to cocer it.

Might add spar urethane or polyurethane over it to add to the UV protection, but I dont think spar varnish would adhere very good to the epoxy.

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
MinWax epoxy? Never heard of it. Couldnt find any info either.

MinWax Spar maybe or a typo?

If its UV stable, then no you shouldnt have to cocer it.

Might add spar urethane or polyurethane over it to add to the UV protection, but I dont think spar varnish would adhere very good to the epoxy.

Sorry, got the can out. MinWaz spar urathane. 20160211_092324_resized.jpg

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok panic for a few. Cleaning the inside and found what I thought were cracks. Just dribbling of the brown goop they sealed the boat with at the factory. Starting the leak test.

BWR1953

Vice Admiral
Ok panic for a few. Cleaning the inside and found what I thought were cracks. Just dribbling of the brown goop they sealed the boat with at the factory. Starting the leak test.

I went through the very same thing. Power wash and wire wheel revealed all. Best of luck with the leak test.

jbcurt00

Staff member
I know for sure that the top of the IO transom on the older SC's have a 15 degree angle that needs cut. You're top side wings look like they need that angle as well in order to fit under the end caps.
Yep, I missed this earlier ^^^

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
20160211_122643_resized.jpg Ok, Leak test is done. Only one very tiny leak in the usual place. I'll hit that good with gluvit. 20160211_130733_resized.jpg

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Oh, transom ends cut at 15 degrees. now it's time to start the spar treatment. Feels like progress now. It hit 50 today and the Gluvit showed up. I haven't read the instructions yet so not sure how long I'll have to wait to use it.

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
At least a little cleaner. Sure smells better with all that simple green. 20160211_135335_resized.jpg

Watermann

I like that plate, great Idea. Sure nice not to have to re-invent the wheel. I'll waive on my way by Monday and friday Rob.

I might not be able to see clearly to I90, we been having some fog. :lol: Watch yer 6 over there on the left coast!

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just finished coat 2 of spar treatment. Wow the end grain sucks this stuff up. Down to about 1/3 of the can left. Gonna continue until the end grain won't take any more.

Has anyone lowered their splash well? I've seen them shortened, but at the boat show most of the new tin boats have she splash well lower. Makes for great seating and access to the stern. Something like this pic. 20160212_122221_resized.jpg

Watermann

Man even when brand new that carpet looks ratty to my eyes... So yeah shortening the depth splashwell is doable for sure although lowering the top would possibly require some restructuring with brackets and solid rivets through the hull sides. The way that one is above, waves could come over the side of the SW drenching that pretty carpet. :lol: the bottom of the transom cutout is 20" and the side are 25". I would rather have the full width SW personally.