1967 Starcraft resto, code name "On Holiday"

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks WM and Grandad. I plan on making some hull strengtheners and will have one fore and aft of tank to prevent sliding if the 5200 let's go. They will look something like tank baffles and attach to the stringers every other rib. I talked to a window guy and he is looking for some thin neoprene with glue on one side. We found some window tape 3" wide that may work if I cut strips from it.

I'm wondering about the wisdom of cementing the tank to the hull. If it remains stuck, the tank will flex when the hull flexes as we know it must. If it doesn't remain stuck, it's free to wander and wear. I'd suggest rather than gluing, that you mechanically trap it in place, but adequately cushioned from the hull structure such as with sizable pads of the neoprene you're sourcing. - Grandad

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That makes good sense. On the ends, I plan bracing to prevent forward and back movement like you mentioned. On the top, flat strap from side to side with neoprene padding. If I use neoprene padding below, would that be enough. I want to avoid chafing via movement.

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, I think I found a trailer with a donor boat. I sent him a message, price was right so I didn't dicker. I wanted some railing, gauges, steering wheel.... Hope it works out. Galvenized trailer. Funny, I had the same trailer WM started out with. Must have been popular back then.

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well, I have lots of little dents and a couple larger ones. I started practicing on one with a brass hammer and body mans backer. I can no longer see or feel the practice dent. Wohoo I wish I had a before picture. It was about the size of the palm of my hand. I'll post a pic after I go back out there. My trim pieces seem like they'll be ok after some polishing. 20160205_133231_resized.jpg

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, made a deal on a donor boat that has the trailer I want and many other parts. I pick it up a week from Monday. Road trip. donor.jpg

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Hey, I got promoted, cool.

Yeah congrats, in case your interested, here's the iboats rank by post

I need to have you over for some beer and a little dent work on my next project! Nice work :thumb:

A Bottomliner... nice score :heh:
fetch

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks WM. Beer on the Columbia with 2 starcraft cruising. That's a deal.

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm thinking the tank tie-downs don't need to be anything exotic. A couple of aluminum angles at the outside edges would not put undue stress on the tank. You'd still want to put something such as neoprene as padding between the angle and the tank. You'll also want to add some tabs from the stringers to stop the tank shifting fore and aft. I would expect that whatever "glue" you use under the tank will eventually fracture and let the tank slide unless there's some mechanical stops in place. - Grandad

Hey grandad. What if those angles were on the ends capturing the tank and attached to the stringers on each side?

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
That's basically how my poly belly tank is held down 2 on each side, I put neoprene under the 4 hold downs. Since the hold down areas were recessed they also limited any front to back movement so you'll need to have something else to limit that movement as well. Here's a look at my octopus before I tamed it. :lol:

IMAG1432.jpg

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hey grandad. What if those angles were on the ends capturing the tank and attached to the stringers on each side?

That might work even better. You'll need to tab a piece of angle to each stringer. That will also accommodate any difference in the surface angles of the tank and the stringers. I'd make sure that there is enough room within your tie-downs and rest points for some relatively thick pads so changes in hull shape don't distort the tank on every big wave you encounter. - Grandad

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Only 10 degrees this morning, but going to be mid 40's by mid week so I'm ready. I also picked up some 2" aluminum angle to mount that tank with. Got several warm days in a row, so I'm hoping the gluvit gets here tomorrow and that the clean out and leak test go well. I'll be able to make some progress on this tin can. I'll have the transom glued together by then and starting the epoxy coatings underway. Ordering the marine grade for the deck tomorrow. I have some of the blue foam ready to go for flotation.
20160207_104813_resized.jpg

Last edited:

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A friend told me this is a good way to cut the flotation foam. Sure glad to find one at a garage sale. foam cutter.jpg

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
A friend told me this is a good way to cut the flotation foam. Sure glad to find one at a garage sale.
If that doesn't work, try a hot wire cutter. It worked well for me when fed from a model train transformer. - Grandad

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, up to 33 so tried a little paint stripper I picked up yesterday. A shot of that and the cheap wire wheel on drill does wonders around rivets. 20160207_120906_resized.jpg

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This stripper is working pretty well. I bought the spray can to try it, looks like the 1 gallon brush on is in order. stripper.jpg .

dpotter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I had a plastic drill attachment so I had to try it. I'll use it on the bottom, since I'm gonna leave it unpainted like Rob did on is. I'll be using the same paint scheme, just different colors. It polishes to smooth a surface for the sides that will be a creamy white. This was just a few seconds of the wheel. 20160207_150851_resized.jpg