Put the sawsall blade right through the hull!

geewilligers

Cadet
Ok, so I am doing a total stringer replacement and, well, sawed a 20" cut right through the hull. I have mixed up a batch of peanut butter and after beveling out the cut from the inside, I loaded it up with the PB and then a layer of biaxle and epoxy. My question is, since the cut is basically right where the new stringer is going, can I stop with the repair and then when the new stringer gets put in place and filleted, and tabbed in, that will be sufficient?
Thanks!

alldodge

Staff member
Ok, so I am doing a total stringer replacement and, well, sawed a 20" cut right through the hull. I have mixed up a batch of peanut butter and after beveling out the cut from the inside, I loaded it up with the PB and then a layer of biaxle and epoxy. My question is, since the cut is basically right where the new stringer is going, can I stop with the repair and then when the new stringer gets put in place and filleted, and tabbed in, that will be sufficient?
Thanks!

Well Golly gee willigers, geewilligers, love the handle :thumb:

Since your using PB I'm guessing this is a small boat. Not seeing exactly what you did, I would grind the spot down so I could get some biaxle and epoxy, no PB. Then lay the stringer in there and complete as you would normally (PB and anything else)

geewilligers

Cadet
Yep, smaller boat, 19' Caravelle. I'm really dissapointed in the poor job that the manufacturer did on this one. Only glassed one side of the stringers and only about 4" up from the floor, all the wood was thuroughly soaked and rotten!
Thanks for the information!

alldodge

Staff member
Know what you mean by cheap manufacturing process of some boat builders. Didn't see you pics while doing my first post. Got some real progress going on.

I'm doing a 78 Chrysler and same think went on with mine.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well "geewilligers", welcome to the cut-through-the-hull club. I thought that was a requirement to refurbish a boat on these forums. :noidea: I think I only cut through about 10 times or more. So I obviously am a member in good standing. Just follow what others suggested and you will see it isn't a big deal and an easy fix. :thumb:

geewilligers

Cadet
I was just planning on doing a small poly patch and gel coat touch up on the outside, would that be sufficient?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
If you use epoxy Filler on the inside and then Poly on the outside then you will have adhesion issues. Poly and Epoxy don't "Play" well with each other. Thats why I asked the question.;) Do the patch on the inside with Poly and PB and then the outside too, and you'll be A-OK!!!:thumb:

geewilligers

Cadet
Oh brother, I already did the inside with epoxy, can I just use epoxy on the exterior? Or do I need to grind it off and start over?

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Well, I been thinkin...Since it's gunna be such a thin area of exposure on the outside when you grind back the glass on the outside to lay the CSM and apply the poly patch and then the gelcoat you'll have enuf surface area to get good enuf adhesion soooo no worries. You'll be fine!!!;)