1988 Glastron X19-S rebuild

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It just dawned on me I never shared my story of the "trolling motor purchase" with you guys. On Dec. 3, I ordered a trolling motor I wanted on Walmart.com.

It was a freshwater MinnKota 55lb thrust 54in shaft on sale for 319.00. I received an email a week later saying out of stock.

I looked around some more and found a freshwater Watersnake 55lb 54in shaft (refurbished) for 119.00. I ordered it on Dec 19. I really wanted a saltwater for the dual water type use but did not want to pay upwards of $500 or more.

I call in on Dec 23 to check the status and was told my order would be completed after the holidays since I didn't list it as a "gift". I told the rep that would be fine I just wanted to make sure the item was in stock and one would be shipped to me. He said yes you will receive it by Jan 10. Again, no problem.

Jan 9 comes,​ and once again I receive an email saying item is no longer in stock. I am FURIOUS!!! I missed out on black Friday sales because Walmart screwed me over again. I call in and speak with a Walmart.com supervisor, explain the situation and am told they are really sorry. They look at my order history and said "Wow, you have spent a lot of money with us in the last few months-more boat parts lol."

The rep tells me to look for another model on the website and we can try and work a deal. I look around some and find a Watersnake Assault, Saltwater version, 54lb thrust 54 inch tiller model (I don't like foot controlled). I give him the number and tell him this is the closest one to the style I wanted that the website shows to be in stock. Problem is, its on sale at 399.99 from 549.99.

He puts me on hold, comes back and says can I sell you this one for 329.99? I explain to him the original one I wanted was on sale black Friday for 209.00 at a local store and I missed it due to Walmart.com. He places me on hold again, comes back and says done. I said "Done? What do you mean Done?" He says "I will ship this one to you for $209.00 would you like the 3 year warranty for 69.00?" Ummmmm "HELL YES!!!!!"

So, I caught a lucky break due to the craziness we all know that is Walmart.com lol. I got a $500.00 Watersnake Assault (Saltwater) trolling motor, with 3 year warranty, for $279.00!!!!!!

Best part, the rep paid for second day air shipping and it arrived two days later. I noticed a small piece of the plastic was cracked on the base cover plate. With the deal I got on the motor, I can fix that with .99 worth of super glue and cover it with a funny sticker. No way am I sending it back unless it doesn't work properly.

Just wanted to share the story with you guys and remind you to ask for a supervisor when an order doesn't work how it should.

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Here are photos.

Attachments

• photo237748.jpg
    photo237748.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237749.jpg
    photo237749.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 0

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
uhhhhh..... is your boat rated for that much power? JK, not sure what the problem is with MK and their backlog/back order - it has been going on for years. What you have looks like it'll do!!!

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Willy, yes it is a score lol.

jr. I'm not sure if my boat can handle the power either lol. I'm installing on the bow so I will have to ditch the teak trim on the bow. I will save it for a later day tho.

So last night I got a jump start on my livewell design. Using an 18 gallon plastic tote as a guinea pig, I put together my livewell.

Using a 500 gph bilge pump and 1/2" pvc pipe I got started. I drilled holes in the top two corners of the tote to push the pvc pipe thru then capped the pipe. I then put a pvc piece that allowed me to connect the two pieces together and also install a leg to brace the pieces.

I drilled 3/16 holes in the pipe for water spray. I installed a boat pass thru fitting approximately 10" up on the tote to use as a drain. I also installed a 1" pass thru union with threads to act as a final drain. So here is how it works if anyone wants to copy.

1. The bilge pump will be stored inside the livewell when not being used. When in use it will be tossed overboard from the rear casting deck. The hose and wiring are what hold it in place. The hose is connected to the pvc fittings and there will be a notch cut out on the livewell door to allow the hose thru while the door is closed.

2. Pump will push water into the livewell and when water reaches the drain at the 10" level, the water will drain out thru a hose connected to an extra bilge pass thru on the side of the boat. In other words, the livewell water will exit the same way a bilge pump pushed water from your boat.

3. This setup will allow me to provide fresh, circulated water as needed without drilling a hole below the water line on back of my boat.

4. When I am done fishing, have the boat loaded on the trailer and want to empty the livewell, I simply turn the ball valve in the bottom of the livewell and the water will drain into the bilge of the boat. The water will immediately leave my boat bilge since I will have the drain plug removed.

If this setup works on the boat, as it did in my kitchen, I will run it for a few trips to test. Once I have tested and find it to work, I will shop for an actual cooler to purchase and set up this way. A cooler will work better for keeping the engine heat and summer heat from killing my bait. This livewell will be installed on the left side of my boat under the rear casting deck and opposite side of boat from my batteries. Perfect way to offset weight from side to side. My livewell will be approximately 14 gallons (112 pounds). My cranking battery and trolling batteries will weigh approximately 120 pounds.

I will post more photos of the installed product later.

Attachments

• photo237793.PNG
    photo237793.PNG
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo237794.PNG
    photo237794.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • photo237795.PNG
    photo237795.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • photo237796.PNG
    photo237796.PNG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • photo237797.PNG
    photo237797.PNG
    782.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
food for thought, or not!! You might or should be able to find a contractor/industrial supply that carries Styrofoam sheets in different thicknesses. Six years ago, bought a pack of 10 sheets of Industrial Board for $30ish at 2" x 24" x 48". Broke some up to add to flotation foam in bow as I was running out of mix.
Used 3 sheets for my livewell, lids and sides; bottom insulated by deck, foam and hull.
That's a good tip on the PVC with holes drilled, my spray nozzle ehhhhhhhh?

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Yea I might try the foam. Just wanted a simple trial and error tote first.

Today was a good day. I got the rear wall and deck installed and test for was good. The engine bay door is done. Trolling motor is installed but not wired yet. I'll do that tomorrow. Side trim pieces are ready for paint and carpet. Seats pedestal bases were installed using t-nuts and 1/4 screws. Worked out great.

Tomorrow I'll install waiting for trolling motor, start painting the new pieces and installing carpet on the sides of the boat interior. More photos to come.

Attachments

• photo237890.png
    photo237890.png
  • photo237891.png
    photo237891.png
  • photo237892.png
    photo237892.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • photo237893.png
    photo237893.png
  • photo237894.png
    photo237894.png
  • photo237895.png
    photo237895.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 0

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm hoping to get the interior wood pieces painted and carpeted by next weekend so I can permanently install. I still have lots of wiring to do so I need all the time I can get lol

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

So on Sunday I got busy again, luckily my valentine let me spend over half of the day with the "mistress" lol.

I got all of the trim pieces cut and finished. I decided to use 1/2" plywood for all trim pieces. I also got the trolling motor wired up and batteries installed. The entire boat got cleaned up from top to bottom. I used a buffer and compound on the exterior and the finish looks 10x's better.

I placed the cooler/seat in place to check the fit onboard. It fits perfect. I have decided to carpet the wall but paint the engine bay door white. I think this will separate the carpet enough to give a nice clean look with the cooler in place.

This week after work the trim will be painted and covered with carpet.

Attachments

• photo237995.png
    photo237995.png
  • photo237996.png
    photo237996.png

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Busy again today. Got all of my trim pieces carpeted and now the glue is drying. Hoping to carpet the bow deck and rear platform on Saturday then install all one night next week. If all goes well, I will take to the lake one week from Saturday.

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

The small pieces are upside down letting the glue setup. All carpet is the grey

Attachments

• photo238223.png
    photo238223.png
  • photo238224.png
    photo238224.png

Brickie

Seaman
Awesome job Snowman. Keep up the nice work :DWay to keep at it, you'll be fishing in no time!

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Thanks guys. I've been busy as crap today. Got the rear completely installed and the side trim pieces done and installed.

Attachments

• photo238306.png
    photo238306.png
  • photo238307.png
    photo238307.png

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

This steam roller is ROLLIN!!! Got the bow carpet installed last night and got the final for test done tonight. I'm going to leave the anchor, livewell and storage box doors with the no-slip white paint finish (I don't want an overload of gray carpet).

The side panels for the bow have been cut out and will have carpet installed tomorrow night. The front trim piece will be covered in carpet as well and will hide that hole and allow a nice home for the trolling motor power plug.

All I'm lacking now is a little bit of paint and carpet along with some screws and its splashdown Saturday.

Note: I broke two staple guns and used about 1200 staples on the carpet install. I guess I will have no carpet movements for a long, long time hahahaha

Attachments

• photo238449.png
    photo238449.png

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Any tips on removing the previous staples rust stains on the finish? I don't want to ruin the finish.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
the reason I ask - I have two exactly like that in my boat; same color/pattern and brackets. They're getting old and torn, would like to replace them with the same if possible. Nothing matches anyway lol

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I got them from Walmart.com. I went the cheap route to start with. They were about $30 each

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Any tips on removing the previous staples rust stains on the finish? I don't want to ruin the finish.
Sno-Bowl Toilet Bowl Cleaner!!! Amazing stuff and WON'T harm the Gelcoat!!! Wear Rubber gloves cuz it will EAT your hands but not your boat!!!;):D