Cost/Effort of interior refurbish

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Trying to make a decision on my Glastron. Have had it for 7 summers now, and it suits my needs. Just bought a cheap 470 complete engine that I can rebuild at my leisure should my engine get sufficiently tired. The interior is starting to look rough after 30 years, and I have a soft spot on the floor around the ski locker. I plan on taking up the floor after the season and seeing if I have stringer damage. If so, I may just sell it as a project. After reading through all the resto threads, I just don't have the time to do that. I'll probably pay someone to put in a new floor (though it makes me nervous, since I never know the kind of job they'll do). Will also pay for new upholstery. I'm wanting to leave the floor uncarpeted. I also want to change the configuration (currently the back-to-back seats up front with 2 jumpseats). I'll have the bow seats recovered, buy 2 captains chairs for the front, enlarge the swim deck and place a bench across the whole width in back. Obviously the cost will vary, but what would be a ballpark estimate for this project?

Tnstratofam

Commander
Our Stratos Ski boat has the layout you're wanting, and I had two quotes for a new deck and stringers that were $3500, and $4200. As for the seating and sun pad mine are in good shape except for the two captains chairs. I was quoted $400 dollars to redo both of them. I used to upholster furniture so I have decided to redo the interior and the deck and stringers myself. I understand your concern about relying on someone else to do a "Good Job " on work you have them do. It can be a real crap shoot as to what you'll end up with. This forum is full of stories where people took their boats to have them redone only to end up with a boat that only lasts a season or two.

If you like your Glastron restoring her is always a good option. Unless you buy a new boat you are always taking a risk on buying someone else s abandoned half put back together project. Or even worse a boat that is in a more rotted condition than the one you had.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep ^^^

If you spend $4k rebuilding the Glastron, it'll be significantly better then 99% of the 5K boats in your market. Because most of them will need something done to them too. IMO, the 2500-5K boats in most markets are likely to have had cosmetic work done, including overdecking soft plywood decks or new decks on rotten stringers. Then sold to unsuspecting buyers.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Well, it's more than 5K that I'll have into the boat. I can get $2500 or so for it now. If I put $3-4K into the interior, $1-2K into the engine, I'm now comparing it to a $7k boat. Not a huge difference, but I can likely get something 10-15 years old with a newer powerplant in pretty good shape. I'm still proabably not willing to even deal with the headache of someone else rebuilding the stringers. Anyway, so how much just for a redeck, and how much for the upholstery?

jbcurt00

Staff member
Depends on your market and how busy the shops are in your area this time of year.

Some shops can do the work, but unless they have nothing else coming thru the door, they choose not to do big rehabs. Lots of labor, expensive materials and high chance someone will stick them w the boat after its finished.

But dont forget, the deck may only be 1 of 3 that need replaced. Stringers and transom are often also involved when a deck gets soft.

I'd bet $3500 is a good guess for a simple/straightforward deck replacement and standard new vinyl only.

If the layout changes, you need new captian chairs w pedestals, new seat boxes/sunpad need to be created, the interior cushion/foam need to be replaced too, the vinyl pattern is complicated, the current interior cant be used as a template, the deck isnt a simple replacement or stringers and transom are involved, price goes up.

That is all based on many random boat repair pricing posted on iboats by others. Unless we are in the exact same local area, actual hard copy bds to me are nearly irrelevent to you.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
But dont forget, the deck may only be 1 of 3 that need replaced. Stringers and transom are often also involved when a deck gets soft.
Yeah, that's why I'll pull out the old floor and check first. Going to pull and drill in a couple of places. I'll do a search to find where...

I'd bet $3500 is a good guess for a simple/straightforward deck replacement and standard new vinyl only.
That's what I wanted to know.

If the layout changes, you need new captian chairs w pedestals,
Looks like a few hundred each for those.
new seat boxes/sunpad need to be created, the interior cushion/foam need to be replaced too, the vinyl pattern is complicated, the current interior cant be used as a template,
Just looking for basic stuff. I can make the structural changes and lay carpet over them easy enough.

Thanks for the help. Will let you know my findings (if I get to it--this is the third winter I've wanted to do this! Too many projects!)

jbcurt00

Staff member
Doing the major demo, and some of the putback may lower it a bit, but not more then 1K, IMO.

A decent helm seat w a decent pedestal might be $250+ or more. You want helm rated, positive locking swivel/slide if you opt for those options. Helm rated basic pedestal too. Many pedestals are only rated for low speeds, ie trolling.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Yup, the costs and risks of having someone else do the work is the main reasons why I did all the work on my boat myself. I built my bench seat from scratch, taught myself to do upholstery work, fortunately didn't have to do a deck or transom replacement on THIS boat and had a B.I. L that I assisted on the Motor overhaul. Did the Glass work and Painting on the Boat and Trailer. Overall, I think it was as good as most of the work you would PAY to have done and in some of the cases that I've seen... Better!!!! I KNOW I saved a bunch over what I was quoted to have it done. Lot of satisfaction in knowing that I did the work and learning new skills along the journey. Might have taken a bit longer and been a bit more frustrating at times but overall it was worth it all.

Something to think about!!!!:sad:

snowman246

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have an 1988 model of your boat with the 3.0 Mercruiser. I have gutted the interior down to the stingers and all is in good shape except about 18 inches of the stingers. I'm just repairing the damaged area and then reinforcing on the outside of the stingers with new stingers and glass. Once I can upload photos I'll post them to my rebuild thread. Nice to know others have my boat. I haven't seen many of them left. Too nice of boats with nice lines to allow them to go to the grave.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Ok, so I finally tore into the boat a little bit yesterday, and am relieved that it looks like significantly less work than snowman246 's project. I took up the middle piece of plywood and the passenger seats. The plywood was rotted only just aft of the ski locker--when water got in there, it just pooled without draining. Fortunately, everything except for the first inch or 2 looked pristine. Ditto for the seat boxes and plywood on either side. Screws in the stringers were all solid with no play. At this point, I'm not going to look too hard for more issues. So the plan is going to be to replace that plywood and redo the interior. This summer I'm going to have my spare engine rebuilt, and then maybe drop it in next fall. Or when the first one fails.

1. Currently there is just carpet stuck on plywood. Looks like most here lay fiberglass on top of the plywood? I'm not interested in doing that, and apparently if you cover your boat there's no reason that this won't last for 30 years, thank you very much. That said, I would like to seal it somehow. Ideally I'd like some sort of garage-floor type epoxy low maintainace surface, would also consider some snap in carpeting.

2. Here are the layouts I'm looking at.
This one I guess is called "sport seating"? This is the wife's preference.
Not sure what this layout is called. I wouldn't have room for the wrap around section behind the driver's seat.

Either way, I think I'll build the boxes, give the specs for the cushions to an upholsterer, and go from there. I'm REALLY hoping that I don't end up doing too much myself, as that always seems to happen. Which is why I have so many damn uncompleted projects ;)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Ok, so I finally tore into the boat a little bit yesterday, and am relieved that it looks like significantly less work than snowman246 's project. I took up the middle piece of plywood and the passenger seats. The plywood was rotted only just aft of the ski locker--when water got in there, it just pooled without draining. Fortunately, everything except for the first inch or 2 looked pristine. Ditto for the seat boxes and plywood on either side. Screws in the stringers were all solid with no play. At this point, I'm not going to look too hard for more issues. So the plan is going to be to replace that plywood and redo the interior. This summer I'm going to have my spare engine rebuilt, and then maybe drop it in next fall. Or when the first one fails.

1. Currently there is just carpet stuck on plywood. Looks like most here lay fiberglass on top of the plywood? I'm not interested in doing that, and apparently if you cover your boat there's no reason that this won't last for 30 years, thank you very much. That said, I would like to seal it somehow. Ideally I'd like some sort of garage-floor type epoxy low maintainace surface, would also consider some snap in carpeting.

2. Here are the layouts I'm looking at.
This one I guess is called "sport seating"? This is the wife's preference.
Not sure what this layout is called. I wouldn't have room for the wrap around section behind the driver's seat.

Either way, I think I'll build the boxes, give the specs for the cushions to an upholsterer, and go from there. I'm REALLY hoping that I don't end up doing too much myself, as that always seems to happen. Which is why I have so many damn uncompleted projects ;)

Hmm....This is NOT, IMHO, the correct attitude to have for your project!!!:faint2: Safety should ALWAYS be your first and Utmost consideration. You should be digging and poking at anything and trying to find EVERYTHING that needs to be repaired that could cause your boat to be unsafe:eek: LIke the old saying goes.

"Why is it we never have the time or money to do things right the first time, but always seem to find the time and money the second time around!!!!""":facepalm:

Last edited:

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Yeah, I knew that was the response that I was going to get. Hell, I don't have the time to do it wrong the first time around. If there's a second go around, it isn't going to happen. Not worth my time for an extensive resto. I'm going to take a couple of core samples of the stringers and transom, but I'm not going nuts with it, Based on what I saw, it looks like the water/rot was confined to the aft wall of the ski locker. The boat has never been uncovered (maybe an occasional squall, but not routinely), but has had extensive use. No, I'm not going to rip up the entire floor looking for a project. Anyway, assuming that everything looks ok, I'm wondering if this plan would work:
1. Floor. Looks like this stuff would fit the bill. Can prep the wood and apply fairly easily it seems. This is the type of thing I'm looking for. Any alternative products? I'll probably need 2 gallons I'm guessing.
2. Seats. I like something like this for the 2 chairs up front. I'm thinking I could find some combination of these types of seats to do the rear bench. I have to measure to see if that would work. Will pontoon seats work? I couldn't find too much here about having done it. Here's a pic of one guy who did a 4winns. This is basically what I'm going for.

Plus the sun deck, which I might also be able to buy off the shelf. That would just leave the gunwale padding and bow seats, neither of which are very ornate. Could possibly be replaced by me, but should be an easy job for a shop, and neither would slow down fixing the rest of the boat. Looks like I could get this done for $1.5-2k or so and a weekend of work on my end...
Freshen the spare engine ($1500ish? Less?), and I'm under $4k for a new running, and new looking (inside at least--we'll tackle gel coat later) boat. Sound like a plan?

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
Mike, please remember iboats is a retailer, your links are dead as they were to competitive sites.

If you can spend $290 on a seat, theres probably room for compromise in the scope of work and less expensive seats.

New and pretty is nice, but if its over ugly, its a short sighted victory.

I cant tell you w 100% certainty that there is further damage (possibly worse?) beyond where you've looked. But you cant be certain there isnt.

Look thru the other rehabs. Off hand I cant recall the last project w limited damage that was able to do a fairly minor scope of work on just a portion of the deck, stringers and/or transom.

Proceed how you see fit, it is your boat to do as you choose. But knowing what could be hidden would impede my enjoyment of using the boat and allowing others to come aboard and entrust me w their safety

Last edited:

nola mike

Vice Admiral
While I appreciate the concern for "doing it right", people get carried away here sometimes. Not everything requires a total gut job. Aside from a leaking transom, I haven't seen any reports of boats cracking in half because of rotten stringers, though I may be wrong. Like I said, I'm going to take some core samples, and if everything looks ok I'm going to proceed. I don't need this to last another 30 years. Anyways, yes, the cosmetics.
These are similar to the other seats I was talking about for the front, and these for the rear bench. The iboats seats are not quite the same, but that's the general idea.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Soooo If your core samples come back dark and wet from the stringers and transom....??? As JBC and I are stating covering up Known structural issues is never a good idea. They won't get better only worse. You Might get buy with it for a while but...If something did happen, you would know and now so would we!!!! I don't agree that we get carried away. We only do what's necessary to make things SAFE!!! But as JBC stated. It is your boat and you are free to do as you see fit!
Good Luck with your project.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
If it comes back wet, I'm done with the boat. People on the forum, esp knowledgeable ones, tend to be perfectionists and if doing the work themselves will try to make it better than original--they intend to keep the boat forever. Not a bad thing, just not always necessary. I did that with cars a long time ago, and found that I got rid of the car way before I would have run into trouble with my repairs/upgrades.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
When it comes to doing it RIGHT and SAFE...there are NO SHORTCUTS and it IS ALWAYS necessary. I agree with jbc I don't understand people that ask for knowledgeable advice and then want to shuck it when it cost's to much time,effort and money. How does that make sense. If you KNOW that's what we're gunna say then why post the questions??? Just go ahead and do it your way and avoid the aggravation!!!!

raw

Last edited:

nola mike

Vice Admiral
Ok, I guess this is just going to be a thread where everyone gets to play holier than thou rather than actually helping. I suppose every thread here needs to begin with "after I tear the boat down to the hull, replace the stringers and transom, how can I replace that button?"

jbcurt00

Staff member
It followed your lead. After saying you WOULD investigate further, you posted it wasnt worth it if there was fuether rot and your justification for why it wasnt by example of your previous repairs on vehicles that you got rid of. If they were junked or crushed thats different.

Investigate or not
Repair it or not
Junk the boat or not

As noted, it is your boat.

You asked questions that didnt necessarily have simple answers. And didnt have the answers you wanted.

If you dont find any further rot after LOOKING, thats completely different from the stated "I'm not looking" statement.

Good luck w your project

Boat and boat rehab safely