Chasmo's 88 Bluefin Sportsman 1700 Upgrades Work in Process (WIP)

chasmo

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone,

Great site and lots of good advice. I recently bought an 87 Bluefin 17' that has been stripped to the bare hull, with the intention of building a ground up boat to my liking. Although I am a newbie on this major undertaking, the good news is my brother (Lmuss53) has done one complete refurbishment and several partials. The bad news here (you had to know that was coming) is he lives 150 miles away so there will be very little "hands on" assistance.

I have rigged several boats, installed removable floors in my SeaNymph 14R and fabricated plenty of equipment. My weak area is welding although I intend to learn that this winter, primarily AC TIG welding for aluminum fabrication. My vocation before retirement was power plant rotating machinery repairs and machining. I am retired but continue to work as a consultant.

Since purchasing the "kit boat" as we are calling it, I just bought an 88 Bluefin Sportsman 1700 with a 94 Merc 60 HP 2 stroke motor. The original owner had this boat for 26 years (88 thru 14) he passed away and his neighbor bought and used it for a year and was informed it was too small and he needed to buy a pontoon. I bought the boat from this gentleman. Although the boat is structurally sound, it is tired, dated and has need of some general upgrades. This boat is 80% of the way I wanted to configure mine. The major problem is the casting deck area in front of the consoles is damaged and soft where the original owner attempted to reconfigure the live well and casting deck area. This will work to my advantage as I want seats in front of the consoles and no casting deck. Live well may become dry storage. The floors themselves are solid but I’m going to lift an area to check for wet foam.

First question- I found white Styrofoam inside the boxed in gunwales. Could this be the only flotation? I found the floor foam was as much support for the floor as flotation. Can I expect both? Styrofoam and expanding foam?

Anyway, this will be a WIP thread explaining upgrades I will be making over the next few months. Until the NE Ahia lakes freeze over I intend to continue using this boat. This will be a work in process and not a full blown rebuild. Although that may still come to fruition with the ’87.

I will make a list of the changes I intend to make and keep you advised.

I thank you all in advance for your help and patience.

Chasmo

Last edited:

chasmo

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I gotta get this photo album thing figured out....

Attachments

• photo232480.jpg
    photo232480.jpg
    275.4 KB · Views: 3
  • photo232481.jpg
    photo232481.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 3
  • photo232482.jpg
    photo232482.jpg
    370.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OK Bro, I am subscribing to your thread. Photobucket is the way to go for your pics, you can upload them with one click from the phone with the photobucket app too. I think we're gonna bring the other boat down here and flip it over on the trailer.

I'm sure you'll find foam under the decking, there was foam under the '87 decks.

Last edited:

chasmo

Seaman Apprentice
Got a chance to do a little work on the boat today. All of the bolsters are out. They will all be replaced with styrene lumber or left out all together. I removed the makeshift repair to the live well area in the bow and found the wood and Styrofoam / spray-in foam are all in great condition. The wood could probably stand to be sealed before I carpet or vinyl clad the flat surfaces. I will take photos and post current condition and future plans for the bow area. I will probably eliminate the livewell all together or use as a dry storage. All in all it is in better shape than I had hoped for. I will post occasionally as I proceed as I plan to work in spurts rather than daily. Thanks for being patient and especially thanks for all the great ideas on this site.

chasmo

Seaman Apprentice
Finally forced my self to pay some attention to the boat. Was 56 degrees here in eastern Ahia. Got most of the odds and ends removed. I found 3 screws that had the drive broken off in the heads. Never seen this before, driver bits musta been very brittle 30 years ago. ViseGrips to the rescue. This boat was built SOLID. The carpet is loose but the floor is solid with on ply de-lamination. Good for me. If weather holds a day or two I may get as far as removing the wind shield & consoles. Damage is in area of stbd bow live well and will be easy to repair. I'm going to replace the squeaky Styrofoam under the gunwales with pool noodles. The foam under the floor appears to have been sprayed/poured with a plastic liner or bags between the hull and wood. So far its all dry. I will leave the bulkhead carpet in place as it's not too bad. All other surfaces will get vinyl or bedliner. Old pitted chrome may get "Dip it" treatment. I did a lot of motorcycle parts and the rubber held up great. Slow and sure. Thanks Bud, I will look in to that build. I followed a few of your others.

grond

Recruit
I have the EXACT SAME BOAT!!! I plan on doing the same thing (stripping it down and rebuilding it)...but I plan on doing a LOT of modification. Rear live well, built in fuel tank, higher consoles. I plan to Gluvit the inside of the bare hull, then build and bedliner the new interior.

chasmo

Seaman Apprentice
Removed the Styrofoam blocks from under the rear decks and the rear gunwales. Vacuumed all them staticiky styro beads... Removed the thru bolted deck cleats and the remaining snaps etc. Removed both side windshields. Will be easy to reconfigure the windshield with less back rake when I put it back on. Removed the port side plastic console. Have an original US Marine Mfg AM/FM Cassette Radio cheap if anyone needs a period radio for a restore. I'm going to Satellite radio. Will also be eliminating the pitot tube "Square" speedo and the sq voltmeter if anyone wants them. PO had installed a QuikSilver tach which I will be retaining, I found a NIB trim gage to match it, along with sending unit. Started to remove instrumentation on helm console. The more I take off of this boat the better I like its construction. So far the only problem I can find with the carpeted consoles etc is the adhesive has failed and the carpet peels back like painter tape. With all the riveted side panels etc I may go back with carpet again instead of vinyl. Sure is a lot of wires under that helm?? I cant figure out what they all are used for. I'm 99% sure I'm going to reconfigure the consoles to eliminate the plastic dash pieces and raise everything 3 to 4 inches. I'm gonna unbolt the stb console fram tomorrow and raise it 3 1/2" (2x4) to see how ir looks and mock new frame for windshield. Maybe Post some pictures too.

chasmo

Seaman Apprentice
I removed the port console frame, took some ref photos for reassembly and for the 87 bare hull assembly. Decided to go ahead and temp raise the port side and mock up the windshield. I'm glad I did , this is going to be so easy to modify, I may leave the plastic dash inserts off and reconfigure them with flat tops and angled faces. I'm going to use a 10" finder/gps for most of my speed and voltage so the only gages I will use will be the tach and trim. If my finder will interface with the 94 engine harness I wont need the tach either.

Attachments

• Consoles Orig wo Port Dash.jpg
    Consoles Orig wo Port Dash.jpg
    300.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Consoles Orig.jpg
    Consoles Orig.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 2
  • Consoles Orig.jpg
    Consoles Orig.jpg
  • Consoles Orig.jpg
    Consoles Orig.jpg
  • Consoles Orig.jpg
    Consoles Orig.jpg
  • Consoles Orig.jpg
    Consoles Orig.jpg
  • P Con Raised Bare.jpg
    P Con Raised Bare.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 2
  • P Con Raised Bare.jpg
    P Con Raised Bare.jpg
    324.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Port Console Removed.jpg
    Port Console Removed.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Port Raised from Bow.jpg
    Port Raised from Bow.jpg
    359.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Port Raised from Port.jpg
    Port Raised from Port.jpg
  • Port Raised w Dash Insert.jpg
    Port Raised w Dash Insert.jpg
    301.1 KB · Views: 2

chasmo

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I removed the port console frame, took some ref photos for reassembly and for the 87 bare hull assembly. Decided to go ahead and temp raise the port side and mock up the windshield. I'm glad I did , this is going to be so easy to modify, I may leave the plastic dash inserts off and reconfigure them with flat tops and angled faces. I'm going to use a 10" finder/gps for most of my speed and voltage so the only gages I will use will be the tach and trim. If my finder will interface with the 94 engine harness I wont need the tach either.

Attachments

300.2 KB · Views: 1
    300.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Consoles Orig.jpg
    Consoles Orig.jpg
    333.7 KB · Views: 1
  • Consoles Orig.jpg
    Consoles Orig.jpg