deck fix

jeremy zook

Cadet
I am wanting to fix the floor in my boat, but the closest place to get marine grade plywood is 2hrs away. What would you recommend as far as a plastic material that won't rot

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would recommend you read the stickies in the restoration forum. No need for marine plywood. Plastic will not work, and the last thing to rot is the floor. I guarantee your stringers, bulkheads and transom need attention as well

jeremy zook

Cadet
It's fiberglass jig. I realize this may end up being a bigger project than I was hopeing for. I am planning on cutting into the floor sometime soon( hopefully today) to see what the damage is. Hopefully it's not too bad

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Fiberglass boats rot from the keel up

jbcurt00

Staff member
Deck not floor, so we are all using the same terms

Dont be surprised if below decks isnt pretty.

Trading 1 used boat w problems for another used boat thats likely to have problems too, is an easy way to spend lots of money, unwisely.

If you spend $2500-3000 fixing this boat. You'll end up w a boat in significantly better shape then 99% of the used boats for sale at $3-4000.

Maybe you can find a used boat that falls into that rare 1%, most dont. They buy a 2nd boat that ends up costing about the same to repair correctly as the 1st would have.

Read some of the other topics in the resto forum before you cut into the deck. You'll see lots of examples of what you're likely to find. Many that start as relatively small soft spots in the deck end up as full gut and rehab.

Good luck