1959 Glastron Surf-flite Restoration... Advice NEEDED!

Gmhall87

Cadet
So I was able to get a very cool boat for free from a family member this week, a 1959 Glastron Surf-flite with what looks to be an old Montgomery Ward Sea King Forty or Fifty, I am not sure . I really want to restore the boat and it is in desperate need of lots of repairs and restoration. I was wondering if y'all could give me some advice on what to be on the look out for and maybe where to start and if I should have the boat re-gelcoated or try and use some sort of marine epoxy paint or something like that? I am fairly handy but I have never worked on a boat before so I am a complete newbie on this front
boat 6.png
boat 4.png
boat 1.png
boat 3.png
boat 7.png
boat 5.png
boat 2.png
boat 9.png
boat 8.png

Last edited:

Gmhall87

Cadet
I also need to drag this thing from Abilene, TX to Houston, TX... About a 6 hour drive. Obviously the trailer needs new lights and tires but what else does it need to make it at least roadworthy enough to get it to Houston to be parked and restored also?

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
OH boy, Ive been waiting for another cool old Glastron restore!!! Welcome to dry dock. be sure to check your wheel bearings and the trailer winch strap. One of the other members had an issue of his breaking while dragging his old gal coming home from the lake. bring extra tie down straps with you!!

Gmhall87

Cadet
Haha thanks for the tip, I'd hate for it to fall off on the highway. And how do you check the wheel bearings?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Welcome aboard !
Sign me up for this one ! I love these old runabouts ! Glad your going to bring it back to life ! Don't worry about not knowing much about the restoration process .. Most all of us on here were lost to start with but with all the knowledge and help here you can do a great job on the old gal .
Good luck and keep us posted !

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, YEAH, this is a MUST restoration!!! I agree with all of the above. Once you get her home mix up some TSP, (Tri-Sodium-Phosphate) and give her a Hot Bath. That way we can see the condition of the Gelcoat. If it's not totally Spidercracked then you might be able to salvage it. Keep posting Pics and ??'s and we'll be here to help you all during the process.;):D

Gmhall87

Cadet
Really? I figured that the gelcoat was beyond repair and probably need to all be redone somehow

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Yep, get her scrubbed down good then you can see what shape it's in . Oxidation can usually be buffed out but spider cracks will need grinding and filling .