New build - See Our Sea Flea Fly!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Growing up on the lake where my grandparents had a place I used to watch some of the older kids zipping around in these things with mid-fifties motors of various makes. Mostly OMC, I'd love their mellow exhaust note as they whooshed by. I wanted one so bad I could taste it. At lake association parties when I was about eight, I'd just sit there on the dock beside one of these marvelous machines while everyone else was gathered around the barbecue and coolers. I'd sidle up as close as I dared, inhaling the smell of gas, oil, and old varnish, inspecting every nook and cranny and imagining myself at the helm.

Then when I was sixteen, working for the summer at a small outfit that rented cabins and sold gas on the same lake, I spent my first pay check on a sea flea of my own. The sketchy owner of the marina up the way had the nerve to defraud a kid $50 plus tax for the punky, half-rotted sad little boat he had propped up under a tree next to the gas dock as a lure to some poor sap (me!).

I dragged it home and gingerly lowered the family Merc 7.5 on it...and life changed forever. What a blast. Skidding and skimming over the water, spray going everywhere, peeling paint flaking and fluttering in the breeze, soggy transom flexing...it was a real thrill...probably more than prudent.

This pic below isn't me as I took no pictures at the time but you get the idea...

The damn thing had no strakes so turns at anything faster than half throttle were dicey affairs, taking every inch of our bay as the boat crabbed and slid, showing little inclination to change course. And you had to be out on the lake early, before there was much more than ripples or you'd risk stuffing the low slung nose through a wave instead of sailing over it. I sat low on the floor, cross legged with my back up against the fuel tank, tiller jutting out past my left ear. Can't remember wearing a pfd....just a wide wide grin.

I kept it afloat for two summers in that condition then even my teenaged, hormone-pickled brain admitted it was probably too dangerous to keep using. My clumsy attempts to reinforce the transom with threaded rods, nuts and big washers looked way more effective than they probably were, I'm sure.

So, there it sat upside-down on shore next to the family tinny for probably five more years until it finally just faded into a shallow mound of moss, dead leaves, rusty nails and muck. Did I get my fifty bucks' worth? Ya....have to admit I sure did.

I still have the steering wheel though, hanging from the rafters of the garage, taunting me to do something about it some day....

Well, dear iboaters, that day has come. Encouraged by my own 13 year-old son who, after hearing the story a month ago said, "Dad - let's build another one!" we are going to try just that. The spouse is less enthused. "Isn't that the little boat you referred to as the 'Death Trap'?" she asked, eyebrow arched, arms folded. "And you want to put my baby in that and send him out on the lake?" Er...did I really say that?. "Your problem buddy is that you forget...that I never forget..." :)

Ah...yes...this one will be better hon...promise.

And so, encouraged by that ringing endorsement....we have taken the first step.

Behold, the proposed power plant - straight out of my childhood - a 1956 Johnson QD-17 10 hp Sea Horse. Discovered while trolling the local classifieds. Certainly scruffy-looking, the seller nevertheless had it gone through a few years ago where it counts, under the flywheel and in the carb but lost interest in completing the restoration. For $300 I got a semi-sorted motor, paint, decals, and even the motor stand. Not too bad a deal I think.

Cowl stripping and general degreasing activities have commenced in anticipation for some paint and new decals and soon I hope to have it shiny, with the help of a local restorer who can hold a spray can much better than me. (I do like original patina ordinarily but this one takes the notion a bit far.)

I'll do the water pump just to be sure but other than that it should be a solid runner.

So....got a motor....need a boat....

We've settled on the venerable Minimost design and I have been going over some plans I downloaded. What I like about it is there is a least the hint of freeboard up front making it perhaps a little more practical and safer than my old "plywood deck-meets-waterline design. If one dare use such words as "practical" and "safe" when discussing such an endeavour of course.

Looks like this...or should when it exists, courtesy of some other guy who seems to have done a very nice job...

I've seen these things running with 18-25 horses on them so a ten should be safe enough for my kid and me. It's the one spec which helped us past muster with our Domestic Project Approval Officer... ;-)

Anyway, the plan for now is to gather parts, bring the old beastie acquired above into finer fettle, continue to study plans, buy some wood and maybe even pick up a saw over the course of the winter.

My woodworking skills and experience amount to little more than cutting right angles and screwing deck boards down in the backyard so I was really leery of even announcing this endeavour on the forums. Oh, and glassing experience is nil by the way.

In the years since joining iboats I've seen some truly genius, quality, and sometimes just downright brave undertakings here (thinking of archbuilder, jasoutside, oops, and many others) and I really don't want to make an asp of myself in such company...

I'm not even sure where we will build it. The carport won't be suitable in this climate after much more time goes by and I know the family room ain't going to work! Anyway, I anticipate progress to be glacial but educational..and questions aplenty. And of course, time with my kid that will be worth its weight in gold when looking back from the old farts home.

I will post bits and pieces as we come across them, learn about them, or build them...Stay tuned!

Scout

Last edited:

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
....time with my kid that will be worth its weight in gold when looking back from the old farts home.

And that right there should sell the project no matter what

Pics not working BTW :blue:

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks, TDF, indeed it should

pics....huh...they are showing for me. I wonder if there's a privacy setting on my photobucket link. I'll check er out.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Working now. Those the steering wheel was more for hanging on than anything right? Or will it be remote steer?

Last edited:

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Hoping to rig it for remote steer and throttle. I saw a mod I liked on another guy's boat where the steering wheel was mounted on a kind of fairing which allows the driver to sit down in a seat with their legs under the deck. Requires some changes to the framing which I hope I'm up for.

Any suggestions on what wood to use in the frames? I figure marine ply for the hull and decks.

lodemia

Recruit
Good luck with this. I built my house 10 years ago and did all the woodworking for it by hand. Like you, I'd never done it before, but a little will (and a few extra boards) goes a really long way.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks for the encouragement, lodemia! We shall see.

Here's a better side view of the type under construction. On ours, I'd like to move the steering wheel forward over the deck to increase interior space and get the CG forward. Be great if I could get a fuel tank under the deck itself. Maybe a hatch or somesuch cut into the top.

Last edited:

GWPSR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I don't know why, but part way through the first post, I was hearing the text read in the voice of a prolific YouTuber named 'AvE'. That somehow added to the story, even if you're not him, and never once said the word "chooch". :)

This'll be fun to watch. Right? It'll be fun, won't it? Promise you'll entertain us.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a 10' hydroplane, it has dual fuel tanks mounted under the sides at the rear of the boat.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
I don't know why, but part way through the first post, I was hearing the text read in the voice of a prolific YouTuber named 'AvE'. That somehow added to the story, even if you're not him, and never once said the word "chooch". :)

This'll be fun to watch. Right? It'll be fun, won't it? Promise you'll entertain us.

Gonna have to look that dude up! Yes- I sure hope it will be fun.

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
I have a 10' hydroplane, it has dual fuel tanks mounted under the sides at the rear of the boat.

Sounds like a good plan. Going to have to see what tank shapes there are out there. The motor has been converted from the old style pressure feed off the crankcase to the tank so I've at least got some options on more modern plastic tanks.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Sounds like a good plan. Going to have to see what tank shapes there are out there. The motor has been converted from the old style pressure feed off the crankcase to the tank so I've at least got some options on more modern plastic tanks.

The tanks are custom welded stainless steel. The only problem is the 2 tanks connected with a hose at the bottom of the tanks.

Corjen1

Lieutenant Junior Grade
WOW!! cool story Scout!! Cool idea...you might have inspired me!! I too have a 13 year old and 10 year old with no fear!! My project approve just rolled her eyes at me!!!

What are the rough dimensions of such a beast??

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks Cor! It really is one of my foundational "childhood" memories and probably responsible for my lifelong love of boats. Don't know why it took me so long to think of doing now. Oh ya - my kid's idea... :p

The boat itself it roughly 8 feet long with a 4 foot beam. Those dimensions sound familiar? Yep - a sheet of plywood. Two, actually, shaped, cut and warped with some framing stuffed in between.

I want to make a few mods and have been gobbling up what I can find on the ol interweb from those who have fashioned such beasts. Apparently the plans and instructions (first published in one of those Popular Mechanics type mags in the early seventies) leave a bit to be desired in terms of clarity.

There's a pretty good boat building supply place near my work I plan on haunting with some questions on wood types, adhesives etc.

Of course putting the cart well before the horse I'm already looking for some vintage instruments and controls to finish it off with. And I'm stoked about getting that motor all painted up.

Last edited:

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
OK - quick update on that '56 Johnny. Got some pics from my motor painting pal of the work in progress...

Aluminum cowl stripped, wet sanded, acetone bathed and dryin in the sun,,,

Etch primer applied

And some high build primer in an attempt to fill some of the 60 odd years of acne...

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Hey guys - thought I'd check in with a brief update...

Old Johnny is back from his date with the rattle can and is looking pretty good in his renewed Holiday Bronze n cream duds.

Plans purchased in full size template version so the head scratching has begun in earnest. Scored a few other baubles along the way too.

Dang, I can see I'm going to have to buy a stick or two of wood soon!

image.jpg1_20.jpg

image.jpg3_9.jpg

image.jpg4_6.jpg

image.jpg5_5.jpg

And...score! A set of period Shipmaster controls including the required hardware..

image.jpg2_13.jpg

Tnstratofam

Commander
Very cool project. The motor turned out great, and nice score on the controls.:thumb:

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Thanks guys - yep, kudos to Chris at AOMCI for his TLC on this baby.

I searched a good long time for those controls. Either crazy money or incomplete...or both. Then, success!

scoutabout

Lieutenant Commander
Here's a video of me rambling on about finding some cool gauges. Shot in the fall.