New to the forum

Mistrfish

Cadet
Evening gentlemen, Ive been lurking the forum for a while and using a lot of the info to restore a 87 Sea nymph fishing Machine . Ive all ready completed all new decking and now Im puling out all the water logged foam. The transom is out and I need to decide if I want to glue two pieces of wood together or use a solid piece of oak. Anyway, its been a fun project and would like to post up some photos but cant get them to load. This is my 2nd boat restoration this year and hope to be done with this in the next few weeks. I re floored my 2000 G3 in February and just needs to be pained or wrapped camo for duck hunting. I will try to load some photos of the Sea Nymph soon

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
Welcome to iBoats. How did you complete all new decking then you are trying to get the wet foam out?! I am following.

Glued ply will work fine. Make sure you use water resistance glue like Titebond 3

Mistrfish

Cadet
I bought the boat at an estate sale with the intention of cleaning it up and selling it but after i got it home I really liked the boat and needed a project to keep me busy so I replaced the decking. I then took it out to the lake and ran it for a while and found a little water in the back of the boat. So far I have found a few loose rivets and one came all the way out. Using resin to seal the wood. Is there something better?

jbcurt00

Staff member
What kind of resin are you using? And then what are you covering the deck (floor) w after you apply the resin?

Since its a tin boat you can probably pull the deck and after getting the foam replaced, put the deck back down.

Plan is to remove wet foam and replace it w what?

Mistrfish

Cadet
Its 3m fiberglass resin, then I covered it with exterior carpet glue and then outdoor carpet. Not sure on what to replace the foam with yet. I didnt want to put real expensive carpet in since I do alot of duck hunting out of my boats. This one will be real good for hitting the rivers

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Did you use fiberglass mat along with the resin??? The 3M resin is pretty much worthless without the mat!!!:eek:

Mistrfish

Cadet
No matting was used, just a little sanding to roughing up the surface then put he glue and carpet in.

DeepBlue2010

Lieutenant
As WoG said, poly resin my itself without glass is pretty much useless. The wood is NOT protected and it will rot again. Just a matter of time.

Mistrfish

Cadet
What do you recommend to seal the wood instead of Fiberglass resin. Also, what do you recommend for replacement of the foam I'm pulling out. My G3 has thick Styrofoam that I reused.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
I like the 635 marine grade thin epoxy resin, it penetrates the wood really well and also hardens the surface of the wood like having a sheet of Lexan over it.

You can replace the foam with either 2 part expanding urethane foam or the polystyrene rigid sheet foam used for insulating houses and such. If you live where it's getting cold now, the polystyrene sheet foam will be your best bet. The expanding foam needs a working temp of 85*F or higher for maximum expansion.

Mistrfish

Cadet
Thanks for the suggestions. Its too late to re seal the wood as it has carpet already installed. I will use it to seal the transom though. Ive been trying to upload photos but there seems to be a problem with the size. Thanks again

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
There are lots of methods for sealing the wood for Aluminum boats.The resin you used will work, you just have to use the Fiberglass Mat in conjunction with the resin. As mentioned the epoxy works took, but it's about 30-40% more expensive. You prolly WON'T be able to buy it locally. You can also use wood sealer or just paint the wood and keep it painted and it will last a good long time. Make sure to use Ext. Grade plywood for your transom and NOT Pressure Treated Plywood. The chemicals in it will react negatively with the aluminum and eat the metal. Depending on your budget and how much effort you want to put into this will drive you to the methods to use.;) That's just this old Dumb Okies ramblings!!!!:D

Mistrfish

Cadet
Thanks for the help guys, Ive got a lot of work completed on the boat( Being semi retired has its perks). Transom is out and the new wood is cut and ready to be glued together. I plan on using Gorillia glue to bond the wood together or is there a better option?. I also have a lot pitting on the inner transom that I plan on filling in with some type of filler, JB Weld more then likely. I built a new inner transom from aluminum as the old was in bad shape. You guys have any suggestion or things to look out for as I start to put the transom back in.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Fill the pitting on the inside of the transom with the JB Weld Marine, then paint with a self etching primer and a couple coats of metal primer on top of that.

The inside of your transom pitted because of galvanic corrosion, this happens when water becomes trapped and turns acidic as the oxygen is depleted. Painting the inside of your transom before installing the wood core will protect the inside of your hull at the transom.

Mistrfish

Cadet
This is the boat when I brought it home. Will add more if this photo downloads correctly

Attachments

• 11960389_10206505646793521_1728301832_o_zpsvaspr9ub.jpg
    11960389_10206505646793521_1728301832_o_zpsvaspr9ub.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 0

Mistrfish

Cadet
photo.php
Try 1 more

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
If your not bent on loosing the carpeted side of the deck, maybe flip it over, stand and reseal it with the recommendations givin. Then re carpet that side? Just a thought. If i was going that route id atleast rip the old carpet off the wood (wont hold moister) and paint that side to help in sealing it with out have to get all that glue out. I used spar urethane on mine. Also gonna be a duck hunting boat.

Mistrfish

Cadet
More carpet is not in the budget but I plan on putting the fiberglass mat down as I already have that.

Mistrfish

Cadet
Im getting ready to mate the 2 pieces of wood for the transoms and have a ? Ive never used Gorilla glue so I dont know how much to buy and then how much to use on the surface. The Transom is 64"x14" at their widest points. Thanks for your help