1975 StarCraft SS

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hate to ask a question like this but.... I'm going boat stuff shopping tomorrow. One of the things on my list is a new bow mount yrolling motor. I'm going with a min kota minimum 70 lb thrust, 24v. My question is, how long of a shaft so I need for an 18 ft Starcraft? I've yet to have it in the water so I'm not sure exactly where the water line is. I hate to pass up the deal I've found so I need an idea on the shaft length. I don't plan to be out in rough weather and most boating will be on inland lakes. Any recommendations? Thanks

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I don't have any of it sitting on the water but maybe this will help get an idea of the where the water line will be.

Keep in mind it's slightly beached in that pick and that mine will probably sit a bit lower in the rear since it's an I/O.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I hit post too soon,

I bet if you measure to just above the spray rail midship you should be able to size it close.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks! I think I Think the 54" shaft length should be fine.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Measure from the bow cap to under the keel just to make sure the motor head is well below the bottom. I bet a 54 would be about perfect.

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks everyone I ended up with a Minn Kota power drive V2 with 70lbs thrust for a great deal. It has the 60" shaft so I figured a little longer is better than short. My next hurdle is the fuel tank. Ive been watching for a belly tank that would fit but I'm about out of time and need to make a decision. I think a belly tank would be ideal if I could find a reasonably priced one to fit but that's proving hard. My next thought is a Moeller permanent type under the splash well. Im guessing around 18 gallon would work for us pretty well. Im concerned about that weight all in the splash well on the port side. do you think that with an 18 gallon in the back, the trolling motor up from and the two trolling batteries located one each in front of the consoles the boat would be balanced fairly well? I thought of putting the starter battery under the drivers console also. If my math is correct 18 gallons equals about 126 lbs, the two trolling batteries and motor is around 170lbs give or take. It will have the 75 hrs Johnson stinger that came with it hanging on the back. Does this all sound good? Thanks

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I don't think the starter battery being that far from the motor will work out very well, that's a pretty long run for the starting and ground cables. The rest of the ideas seem sound to me.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Long runs make expensive, large guage battery cables, more expensive and probably requires going even larger gauge (00 cables instead of 2ga)

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah I was worried about that long of a run too. Sorry for my poor typing. I'm also bad with documenting progress once I get rolling. I will get pics of the progress this weekend and post. It's getting close enough to being done that I can feel the rocking of the water. My daughter and I were sitting in it last weekend pretending we were fishing. Thinking I'll keep the starter battery aft also. Either the trolling motor and batteries and onboard charger all up front it should offset the weight of the fuel and start battery and roughly keep the CG about the same.

PikeHunter431

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Chads, Do you know what the width is between your stringers? (and any indication on depth/height). I am planning on a 73 18' SS restrore/mod later in the year and wondering what dimensions a below floor gas tank would need to be to fit. Any help is appreciated. You must be excited to get yours into the water!

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pikehunter, going off memory I believe between the stringers is approx 25". And the depth is kind of a modified V shape with a total height of about 8" and 5" on the sides. This is at the midship area

chads

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok quick question, what has everyone been able to fit under the splash well on the SS boats without modifying anything?I was hoping for a 15 gallon plus size tank but looking at moeller specs that will not work. Thanks

PikeHunter431

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Pikehunter, going off memory I believe between the stringers is approx 25". And the depth is kind of a modified V shape with a total height of about 8" and 5" on the sides. This is at the midship area

Thanks Chad. On my 18" SS, the gas tank under the splash pan appears to be about 20 - 22 gals. I believe it may be is original tank.

Last edited: