1973 MFG Carefree Restore

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Piecing together this boat. Its coming along nice, im looking to get some nice accessories for the boat, ive ordered stuff for it already, anybody that has any input or other accessories I should look into, let me know! Im looking to get this boat more modern, but with a classic look to it.

- Fuel Line, Filter and Fuel Demand Value
- 2 6 Gallon Tanks
- 6 way switch pannel (seastar)
- Shoreline LED lights (Blue 6 in)
- Sony Stero (149$ on Amazon w/ 2 speakers)
- Speedometer and RPM
- Horn with Button
- Life Jackets
- Fire Estingiser
- 45lb thrust minkota trolling motor
- rod holders
- Bildge Pump w/ 3 Way switch, float switch and hose w/ stainless steel thru hull fitting
- 4 Shoreline Bumbers
- Shoreline 3/8 Dock Line
- 3 Drain Plgs
- Cup Holders
- Emergency Folding Paddle
- Emergency Whistle
- Attwood Glove Box

I havent been working on the boat, because Ive been at work saving up for it, but I hope to be active more this winter and update you guys more frequently.

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Looks great ! I see you got new seats .. I thought you were gunna do some back to back seats ?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Was going to, but I got these seats from a friend for practically nothing. Plus I really though about it, and the back to back seats take up alot more room on this boat in the rear, these give me a bit more room :)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Just put them on a swivel mount ... Spin them around when fishing ...

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
There would not be enough room for to swivel them, not wide enough. Thats why I wanted to figure out a way they can go forward and backward when needed, but I sorrta like these seats better.

tallcanadian

Captain
Can I just throw my 2 Canadian cents in? It will be so much quicker to uncap that puppy and replace that transom then to chisel, dig, spend hours on your back grinding it out. You can decap it in a couple of hours. It would cost you less to use plywood and be glassed in right. Just my thoughts. Great looking boat though. How did you paint it?

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Rolled and Tipped with a one part paint has a great gloss and lasts a long time a buddy said. I think im going to stick with seacast, because Im planning on keeping the boat for a long time, and dont want to have to put new plywood in again in 10 years, thanks for your input though! I was considering that option at first.

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I think im going to stick with seacast, because Im planning on keeping the boat for a long time, and dont want to have to put new plywood in again in 10 years ....
If you need to replace the plywood in 10yrs, theres something else going on or the transom had been replaced poorly.

Use SeaCast if you want to, but done well, w some attention to detail, proper use of the proper products and proper storage, a plywood transom would have a very long service life.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
If you need to replace the plywood in 10yrs, theres something else going on or the transom had been replaced poorly.

Use SeaCast if you want to, but done well, w some attention to detail, proper use of the proper products and proper storage, a plywood transom would have a very long service life.

Sorry, was just using 10 yrs as an example, they all will eventually rot is my point, may be a few years if not sealed/ water gets in, or 40years if taken care of, I just think seacast is a more permanent option, and is also a good selling feature in the future If I am thinking of selling it in the future.

Chrisravosa36

Chief Petty Officer
Got alot of stuff for the boat over the last months, got pretty much every accessory except a radio and and steering. heres some pics. Also found a 50hp johnson on CL, im mostlikley going to try it, with a 4 blade prop and smarttabs to help her out, also I found out this boatcan hold up to 40hp. The onyl reason they made it 30 was because crestliner bought MFG in 73', and for inchurance policies they only allowed it to be 30hp max to be covered, even though it was the same hull as the olders one. If ti doesnt work out with the 50hp, il find a good 40 for it, keep in mind il have 2 good sized marine batteries on it, fishing gear ect, I added it all up im under the lb's limit by 80lbs, with 2 people, gear, motor and ect