1975 14' valco repair help, (pics!)

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
eJFHcJul.jpg

The black stuff you are talking about is what is pictured above?

It is covering the whole bottom?

Almost looks like some form of bottom paint?

Yes that is what I'm talking about
Its covering the entire bottom of the boat, I will be drilling out rivets to replace, and also will be welding part of the keel which will need the metal cleaned up anyway so was just wondering

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If you need to remove in certain areas, I would spot remove and then recoat, if you don't want to do that, then I would be setting up for blasting to get it off, that is a bit thicker than just normal paint from the looks of it, perhaps who ever had it before was trying to fix leaks and used the wide brush approach!

64osby

Admiral
Try spot removal with scraper, wire brush, paint stripper, media ^^^ blasting or any other method. Trying to determine what "it" is would help. Find the easiest way to get it off and work with it.

Looks like a mess. Good luck.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Smidge I've been doing some research on solid riveting and found this which should answer your rivet questions for sizing. I've also found some posts in iboats stating that you want the soft rivets.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
what is this stuff on my hull and how do i get rid of it?

So there is this white stuff which i thought is salt on my hull but other people seem to think otherwise. What do you think it is and where should i start to try and remove it?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Well it looks like it didn't just appear there yesterday. Looks like a long term issue. Do you boat in salt water? Trailer boat? When was the last time you cleaned it? Need more info.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Looks like deterioration of a clear coat to me, if that is the case it is going to have to be stripped off.

jbcurt00

Staff member
That looks to be the same areas you posted pix of in your Valco topic, but it now looks different. Whyas changed?

Used it, tried to strip/sand it off?

As this is topic is about working on the boat, and you have a topic in the resto forum already where you asked about removing the black coating, I'm moving this topic to the resto forum, and merging it w the Valco topic.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
It is the bottom of the hull and I have not down anything to it. One set of pi turns was taken during the day. The other was at night with a flash. But I have just tried vinegar with a rough sponge, and water with a sponge, neither seem to get rid of it

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
Well vinegar with a sponge seems to be removing everything including whatever this black stuff is. Have so em pics soon

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
Here is a before pic with a rough sponge and vinegar

And an after

Last edited by a moderator:

jbcurt00

Staff member
I don't know what the white specks are, or for sure what the black coating is, but it appears to be some sort of paint. Anti-fouling paint maybe. But as it's oxidized and not a fresh paint job, I suspect the black coming off on the sponge is just the oxidized chalky paint rubbing off a little. Not really that the sponge and vinegar is removing it.

I added IMG coding before and after your imgr pix links. Puts the pix IN your post, nice and big, and visible w/ out clicking a link to open them.

use before the imgr link

and after the web address

jbcurt00

Staff member
The black stuff is still there in the after pix, thats all I have to base comments on

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
if you look at the spot in the bottom of the picture in the after pic, you notice that the black came off there. Tomorrow i will get pics of another area i hit where you can clearly tell the black came off. So my question is. is this corrosion i am dealing with? or just an old/shitty paint job that is coming off.

Last edited:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
The black stuff seems to be some sort of coating... maybe paint, maybe truck bed liner, maybe anti fouling paint. If it is the anti fouling paint, be careful removing it... that stuff is poisonous!

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
i know that the black is some sort of coating, i was wondering what all the "white" was. but upon further inspection looks like it is sports where this coating has chipped off.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
If it were my boat, and I have a Valco, I would be calling around or looking on Craigslist to see if I could find someone to media blast it clean for you, no matter how you remove it with chemicals there will be residue around the existing rivets that could cause problems in the future, if you were close to me, I would be happy to do it for the cost of the media.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
i have been looking into getting it blasted. going to contact a few places tomorrow. I fixed the rivets that were leaking by re bucking them. now to just figure this out. What would i want to do after getting it blasted? some sort of aluminum treatment? prime and paint?

Also what kind of media should i get it blasted with?

Last edited: