1990 Sea Nymph FM160B Restoration

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I got so excited looking at all the sweetness in the pics, I was about to post that you really need to do the final tune on the water as the back pressure on the exhaust will change things. :facepalm:

Luckily I went back to look again and actually read and saw that was your plan so carry on.

Here's hoping for an awesome splash! :D

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
SPLASH!! What a great week! :D

The boat was fantastic and all went well, as expected!

Here she is sitting pretty (and no longer sagging in the rear, due to wet soggy foam and wood in need of replacement!)

IMG_1927_zpspfos662n.jpg
IMG_1928_zpswvm5ik50.jpg

We spent many hours on the boat, and had some success in fishing too! Made some incredible memories on this family vacation, which makes all the work totally worth it!

IMG_1930_zpsxlt45p3g.jpg
IMG_1946_zpsgjzircyl.jpg

IMG_1937_zpsgp9se6tl.jpg
IMG_1940_zpsnq3elces.jpg

I do have to admit that I have a small leak somewhere in the boat!:eek: The water never amounted to more than about 1 inch which was not enough to even turn on the bilge pump. I will be researching this and will fix this issue this fall/winter when I clean up and paint the exterior of the boat.

Also I do have a small gremlin somewhere in the electrical as I lose the RPM guage at WOT at times, this only occurs sometimes, I'm sure this is simply a loose connection as it works normally the rest of the time. Hey...if everything worked perfectly I wouldn't have anything to do!

Thank you everyone for the words of encouragement and work along the way! I have learned a lot with this project and would do it all over again in a heartbeat (let's hope that is not needed for some time tho! lol)

I will be back when I update the exterior this fall/winter and work on updating the trailer as well!

Frey

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Oh yeah she looks great on the water Frey! Super nice work :thumb:

An awesome childhood memory maker for sure too. :)

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks Watermann, BWR, and WOG! Your help along the way was instrumental to getting this done "the right way"!

More coming this fall/Winter....I hope she will have a new look come next spring!

Take care guys, I will be still hanging around tho...I'm kinda hooked on this stuff! :D

Frey

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
very nice boat indeed!

Thanks Mickyryan! The boat project was a lot of fun, and the folks I met here were incredible!

Your boat project is amazing, really it is! I have been watching your progress all the way through, really turned out nice, very creative!

Frey

Frey0357

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hello all!

I have been enjoying the Sea Nymph, and no I'm not writing in to say I have sold it and now I have another project (but that does sound interesting.....), but I wanted to write in to share a little issue that the tilt/trim is had recently and now I am glad to share is fixed!

So intermittently the Evinrude 60hp would tilt upward but would not trim back down. It has been very intermittent, and after "jiggling" the wiring around or simply taking off the engine hood it often would begin working again (for a while anyway). Well this weekend after 40 mins of motoring around the lake I had to bring up the motor due to shallow water, but it would not return to its lower position. The boys and I finished up our fishing day on the lake and limped back to the dock, put it on the trailer and found it would not trim back down.

After some research I found a common failure can be found with the set of black square relays mounted on the side of the motor (sorry don't have a photo at the moment). I did note that I could feel a strong "click" when moving tilting upward, but a very soft "click" when the downward button was pressed. I pulled one of the relays out and inspected, found nothing wrong. So I switched the relays and then found the motor would trim downward and NOT upward. Ah Ha moment! One of the relays was bad.

A short trip to the local auto store provided a set of simple 12volt relays for replacement and after installing them we are back to normal once again!

Just to be thorough I did perform a check on all of my wiring and found connectors fully seated and what seems to be good contacts.

thought I would share in case someone else encounters something similar!

Happy Boating all!

Frey

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Happy to hear your getting use of you SN, good for you keeping it, I just sold my SN after finishing up my V5 SS.