SEEKING POSTS/PHOTOS OF ADDING LIVEWELL TO FISH N SKI ALUM SC

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
I AN RESTORING A 1985 STARCRAFT SUPERSPORT 18FT SPLIT CONSOLE ALUMINUM FISH N SKI

HOWEVER NEVER HAD A LIVEWELL ..................SO I GUESS IT IS ONLY A SKI RIGHT NOW

I WAS THINKING OF ADDING 2 LIVEWELLS TO BOW PLATFORM AND TO STERN AS PART OF RECONSTRUCTION

WILL NEED TO DRILL TRANSOM FOR PUMP.......RUN HOSE....INSTALL TANKS (COOLERS?) ETC

I WAS THINKING USING COLEMAN CHEST COOLERS FOR TANKS BTW

ANY EXPERIENCES OF DESIGNS, PHOTOS APPRECIATED OF YOUR PROJECT

THANKS

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Post up some pics of your boat so we can see what you have to work with.

Coolers are ok for temporary live wells, but they can tend to overflow and slosh water out inside of the boat with proper drainage for the pump.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Coolers converted to live wells works very well. It all depends on how you design them. I am presently doing just that for my Tom Boy boat tri-hull rebuild project. And I will even have LED lights installed in the water so that you can easily see what you have even in the dark. I installed a spray bar made from 1/2" PVC and a drain system with a stand pipe as well. And once I have the LED lights installed, I will install it into the boat... If you would like to see my project, click on the link below and take a look... :thumb:

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
I installed a spray bar made from 1/2" PVC and a drain system with a stand pipe as well.
One stand pipe alone won't be enough to keep the water from sloshing out from under the lid unless you hold it real low, like half the depth of the cooler. You can increase the depth of the water to 2/3" of the depth of the cooler if you install port and starboard drains horizontally at the same elevation as the top of the stand pipe... but you'll find all this out later when you start using your boat out on the water.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
One stand pipe alone won't be enough to keep the water from sloshing out from under the lid unless you hold it real low, like half the depth of the cooler. You can increase the depth of the water to 2/3" of the depth of the cooler if you install port and starboard drains horizontally at the same elevation as the top of the stand pipe... but you'll find all this out later when you start using your boat out on the water.

JNG, I 've had live wells in boats for many many decades and knew how they work. And it is all in how you design them. Mine have lips all the way around the top and I really don't see any issue with them. You never fill any live well to the top and expect the water to stay in there. Obviously there is sloshing and you have to account for that as you make them. It isn't rocket surgery. But coolers can and are used for live wells all the time. You just have to understand their designs. The only problem I ever had with a live well was once in my Bass Boat, I left the switch on for the fill up option and forgot about it until I had water at my feet. But the bilge pump fixed that quickly after I turned off the fill switch and flipped it to aerate position... JMHO!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
JNG, I 've had live wells in boats for many many decades and knew how they work. And it is all in how you design them. Mine have lips all the way around the top and I really don't see any issue with them. You never fill any live well to the top and expect the water to stay in there. Obviously there is sloshing and you have to account for that as you make them. It isn't rocket surgery. But coolers can and are used for live wells all the time. You just have to understand their designs. The only problem I ever had with a live well was once in my Bass Boat, I left the switch on for the fill up option and forgot about it until I had water at my feet. But the bilge pump fixed that quickly after I turned off the fill switch and flipped it to aerate position... JMHO!

Uh-hm, like I said. You'll see what I'm talking about when you start using your boat out on the water, you're going to want more drainage than just one stand pipe.

Last edited:

appleo

Petty Officer 1st Class
No Title

Lots of opportunity here for new design

Attachments

• photo230186.jpg
    photo230186.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 0