Novice hull repair question

Uplinger

Cadet
Today I put my 2003 Sea Ray (just bought last spring) on the wash stand at the marina ( I have in & out service) and noticed this damage.
I'm a boating novice, but it looks to me like a previous repair that has failed. I don't see any fiberglass and it appears to be fairly solid. I'm not sure what the blue stuff is? Do you think I should try a gel coat repair or leave it to a pro? Thanks

Attachments

• photo229751.jpg
    photo229751.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It's hard to really tell what we're looking at with it being so close and nothing for size comparison

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Take a bunch of picks starting with the whole boat and progressively getting closer

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Somebody stuffed putty in a hole. Not a proper repair. It needs to be ground out and glassed in properly.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
When you open the pic it states the area is about the size of a nickel.

As Grub 54891 states the PO just used some Bondo type material to fill the gouge. Pretty standard repair but since bondo uses talc as a base filler this can/will happen over time. I'd recommend digging it out and making your own filler with gelcoat and cabosil UNLESS the gouge is actually a hole and then that's a different fix altogether. You still can do the repair just different methods. No PRO needed.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
From the pic there is no way to tell what the blue material is, or the defect it covers, it could be epoxy over a gel coat chip, or bubble gum over a hole drilled in the hull. It could also be on an unimportant location above the waterline where it's only a cosmetic concern, or it could be on the keel where a good repair is dresired.

This is why more pics and info is needed.