Question about flooring for my semi V

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all! I am in the process of restoring this old 1973 Duracraft 14' semi-V and I think I would like to put little wooden flooring down so I don't have to be stepping up and down and probably end up tripping and falling out of the boat! LOL! I have some marine grade plywood and I was wondering if t is cool to just screw it down to those ribs sticking up on the floor? I am really green here as this is my first boat so I m kinda just getting familiar with the whole thing. I planned to screw some support ledges to the side of the seat aluminum to support the floor as well. Am I lost here or is this something I will be ok to do? Thanx in advance for any advice :)

Here's the boat so you can see what I am working with...

Attachments

• photo229462.jpg
    photo229462.jpg
    113.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't see why it wouldn't work. The ribs are flat on top and look like they are straight across with no dips.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
Personally, I wouldn't even screw the plywood down. If it is cut to the correct length I would think that the benches would keep it in place pretty well.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Welcome aboard Hartley,

You should post up some more pics and document your restoration here. If you could post another pic from the stern showing the layout a little better and of course some overall pics would be good too!

I would not use screws for the decking as they tend to come loose pretty quickly as there isn't much to hang onto, only a few teeth grab. I suggest using large flange blind rivets to secure the deck to the top of the ribs for a very secure and stable deck to walk on.

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Watermann! I just checked out the restoration you did on that SeaNymph! I can't find ay other worlds than WOW! Ok.....maybe AMAZING? Yeah....that will be the right word!

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Thanks Hartley, the little SN has been a great fishing platform. This iboats forum is what gave me the inspiration to restore both the boats I have and yeah a great place to get some awesome things done to some old tin!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Harley's Boat, I use to own a 12 foot V-bottom FeatherCraft decades ago and I made that little aluminum hull into a very nice fishing boat. I removed the center bench seat and installed a flat floor and then installed some nice swivel seats on the front bench and rear benches so two folks could fish in total comfort. If you are going to install a flat plywood floor, I would make certain the plywood is sealed for longevity and you can also find some threaded inserts to fit tightly in the cross supports. That would allow you to install and later on remove the floor for any reason. They install using a type of rivet gun and stay in place so you can thread bolts in and out easily. Just an idea. Do post your project on here and your progress along the way with pictures. We love pictures on these forums... :thumb:

Hartley's boat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanx! I will try to get some pics but I have to be honest...... I think I am a little embarrassed to post the job because I am not going to be spending a lot and I am not going to be turning out a super great looking old boat! LOL! I am just getting this old girl ready for the water and I will be doing the best I can with the budget I have for her. I got her for a song and it's my first boat so she will just need to float and not leak and go forward and back ward and I will be thrilled! Thanx again y'all!