'88 Alumacraft Phantom V170 restoration.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Do you access the forum in multiple ways?

Laptop and cell?

oldphart120

Cadet
I looked at the photo tutorial. It cleared up the mud a little. However the chain icon doesn't appear above the pics on PB, and no thumbnails on PB either. The PB screen doesn't look like the one in the tutorial at all.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Make sure the

Remember me check box

is checked, below the password line when logging in.

Esp when logging in from multiple devices.

Else you might get timed out. Until you load a new forum page or hit

It wont appear that you timed out, but if that was the error message you got, you were timed out.

Happens when typing long posts/replies or trying to add pix.

I havent been timed out in more then 8-9 months, but I'm on, surfing thru and posting regularly.

I prefer to use Photobucket for pix hosting and have had very few problems in 4+ yrs posting pix on numerous forums w it.

oldphart120

Cadet
Thanks for the time out tip. I've checked the remember me box. That should help.
My problem seems to be my PB page doesn't show my pics in the Library page until I click the "Show As" box then the icons disappear above the pics. I'm working on that.

oldphart120

Cadet
Made some progress. The boat is 98% stripped out. 1 small bulkhead and a little bit of foam.left in there. I think 90% of the foam is dry. Lucky me. But if I leave it in I can't seal the hull with Gluvit. The hull looks good on the outside though, and I haven't found any loose rivets so Gluvit may be overkill.

Now a couple of questions. Is 635 epoxy an acceptable substitute for Gluvit? I'll have plenty left over and I can get at some of the inside of the hull, around the transom area specifically. There is some pitting inside the transom sheet metal that was next to the wood, both inside and out. Would a thin coat of epoxy thickened with cabosil work to fill the pits? Then a coat of Rustoleum.

Progress: The transom is cut and ready to be laminated. I built a "clamping table" A salvaged work bench covered with Formica, I drilled holes in the front and rear of the top near the edge and installed tee nuts with althread to clamp down some 2x4's to squeeze the transom laminations together. I'll post pics when I get that figured out. BTW the transom is 2" thick, 2-3/4" plys and 1-1/2" ply.

That's all for now, gotta get back to work.

Last edited:

oldphart120

Cadet

WOOHOO! Finally got a pic posted, I think. This the boat when I brought it home last August. I'll do more later this evening.

Last edited:

oldphart120

Cadet
My problem with pics is with PhotoBucket. I don't always see my pics in the library. Tonight I got unlucky.

All the pics I see posted here show everything all nice and neat and clean. I posted this one to show what boat resto REALLY looks like! This is my new transom dry fitted into the hull. I had to do quite a bit of planing and sanding to get it to fit. It's in there now, what a mess.

Dang it! I posted a pic and showed up twice. I tried to drop one and I lost everything. No pics now, maybe later.

Anyway, the transom is fitted, oversize holes drilled and filled with pb. Its curing now. I'll glass it tomorrow and try to post pics again.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Nice boat...when I post pictures, I use TinyPic's...no posting issues.