Glass bead blasting as prep for aluminum paint job?

DJ_Allatoona

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Anyone ever used a glass bead blaster to strip generations of old paint/stuff from aluminum? Videos of blasting old cars look amazing, but I'd like to know if it's an option for me. I can probably get my hands on a machine and the media. I have a mid-70's Starcraft SS.

djpeters

Lieutenant Commander
My bottom was sand blasted. I know a few others on here have done it or had it done. Just need to be careful about heat warping the aluminum. The finish left was rough, which would seem to be good for primer adhesion. My boat hasn't hit the water yet.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Sand blasting works and there are so many different type grits you can use. And the fact that if you use a very aggressive grit, it cleans the surface off quickly and does leave a small textured finish. But if you are going to prime and paint, then that rougher surface it really not a problem. When you prime, you have to sand in prep for the paint and what better then a surface that helps hold the prime on. And remember the actual finish is all done in the prep work. If there are any imperfections in the primer, they will certainly show up in the final painting. So make the primer coat as smooth as you want the final coat of paint or clear coat to look. You can click on the links in my signature section below and see my efforts in painting things... Good luck! :thumb:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Soda Blasting is the preferred Method for aluminum boats. Using sand can be catastrophic if you don't know what you're doing. The aluminum can be quite thin in areas and improper pressure or staying on one spot to long can cause you to "Blow Out" the aluminum. NOT GOOD!!! Soda Blasting is a much "Gentler" method on the aluminum. Not saying SB can't be used it's just a lot trickier than the Soda!!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Have to go along with the soda blasting over sand when doing aluminum. Have also heard that crushed walnut shells have been used as a medium also.

jbcurt00

Staff member
soda blasting over sand for aluminum..

Not sand blasting, DJ is considering glass bead blasting:

Anyone ever used a glass bead blaster to strip generations of old paint/stuff from aluminum? Videos of blasting old cars look amazing, but I'd like to know if it's an option for me. I can probably get my hands on a machine and the media. I have a mid-70's Starcraft SS.

I don't think I've ever seen someone here post details of glass bead blasting.