Spraying resin

redneckvulcanrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Anyone ever try to spray there resin on when doing there transome and stringer lay up then useing rollers and such to chase the air bubbles and such . Seems to me it would allow a bigger area to be worked at a time. I know they spray it and use chopper guns at factory. I have also sprayed resin on semi hoods before. Just asking for opinions and pros and cons to the idea.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Very slow and a waist of time, you can do it much faster with a fuzzy roller

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Even slower. You would be mixing 1 quart or less at a time, then trying spray it out of a low output spraying system. You can wet out the same amount of material with a fuzzy roller before you could even get started with either type of sprayer. The equipment used to spray resin needs to be high output, and the time it takes to prepare it for use, then clean it up would be more than doing the entire job.

Last edited:

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
You need to spray about a gallon a minute to be productive, which is about like pouring it out. resin spray equipment starts at about $8,000.00

When I had spray equipment I wouldn't use it to do a typical stringer layup, too messy, too much setup time, too much clean up time.

These are small layups in the world of fiberglass, spray equipment is made for larger high volume parts.

If the gun (as in full sized resin spray equipment) was already in use on another project and ready to go I would use it, but not for just a small job like these if it was the only thing it would be used for.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have tried spraying out of a $10 garden sprayer. ended up with a nice trophy and needed to buy another 2 gallons of resin. Body schutz gun may work, however that comes out like a manure spreader when spraying undercoating.

however filling 1 quart bottles like ondarvr indicated would take more time than simply rolling.

the heavy nap roller works great, so does the pour, squeegee and roll method

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well obviously that IS how they actually build boats initially. They use spay guns as the very first thing that is sprayed into the boat mold. So it can and does work. Now how that could work as a hobbyist effort is another question. With the proper orifice opening in a HVLP gun setup, I can see it working. And with such a large tip size, I can also see true metal flake being applied as well. Clean up would not be anymore problemsome then cleaning up using any catalyzed paint or two part epoxy that we spray all the time now. Last time I visited my usual PPG Auto Paint Store, they had a small container of true metal flak sitting there. And it seems they are making metal flake comeback in custom painting again. So the spraying equipment is already in place to allow for such things. If there is a will, there is a way! JMHO!

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, I agree with NOT trying to spray Resin for the DIY'r for all the above mentioned reasons. #1 in my opinion is the clean up time needed to keep from ruining the equipment. If you plan properly and temps are right, you could pour and roll out an entire 4x8' sheet of plywood and lay the CSM on it in the time it would take to Mix, Spray and clean up a Quart of Resin. That's just an Old Dumb Okies opinion!!!:eek:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Uhmmm, I agree with NOT trying to spray Resin for the DIY'r for all the above mentioned reasons. #1 in my opinion is the clean up time needed to keep from ruining the equipment. If you plan properly and temps are right, you could pour and roll out an entire 4x8' sheet of plywood and lay the CSM on it in the time it would take to Mix, Spray and clean up a Quart of Resin. That's just an Old Dumb Okies opinion!!!:eek:

WOG, I'm not saying I would try to do it. But the question was, can it be done. And that answer is yes. Is it smart to do it,,,that answer is probably not...

redneckvulcanrider

Petty Officer 3rd Class
The gun I'm talking about is made for shooting resin and gelccoat can even sand blast with it. It uses a disposable quart paper cup you mix in put the lid with tip installed then shoot away well adjust your air for flow rate. When done throw the cup away and clean the lid. Was just thinking if I had some one mixing the cups for me I could just keep shooting. Boss gave me the gun to try if I want to. We used to use it doing lay ups on our semi hoods but we have discontinued rebuild of hoods and are sending them out to be done now we normally keep four or five hoods in stock dam four legged critters like our headlights. So equipment is pretty much just collecting dust

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
As someone that has used this equipment for around 45 years, and made truck hoods and cabs, plus more other items than you could imagine, I can tell that yes you could do it, but it would be a total waste of time. Stringers and transoms are about the easiest and most straight forward things you can apply fiberglass to, using a dump gun would only make it more difficult and take longer.