1989 javelin hull damage need opinions/questions answered

Fisherman302

Cadet
Hello everyone! Brand new to the forum hopefully some of you can help me out as I see there are alot of knowledgable people on here. Short and sweet I bought a boat a 1989 javelin 366 with a Gt100 Johnson outboard and it has a pretty nasty crack on the bottom of the hull. I will include a picture at the bottom of the post. I'm pretty sure the guy knew and was just trying to get rid of it and I got screwed my fault for not inspecting a little better I guess I trust people too much. Anyway here are my thoughts, the bot had trouble plaining out even though the motor ran strong. I believe that the foam underneath the floor is soaked and probably is holding some dead weight from what I have been reading on here. I'm willing to take on a winter project and fix it the right way even if that means pulling the cap off the top and doing a full restore. My main questions are, how do I diagnose the full extent of what is under the floor of the boat and if there is rot starting to take place? The existing floor seems to be solid no rot. Is he floor of the boat attached to the cap? How do i go about fixing the crack on the bottom? Any insight or info would help a lot! Thanks in advance!
sg7qmg.jpg

241v6g7.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well Fisherman 302, :welcome: to iboats. Nice for you to join us...

Okay there is some interesting damage there for sure. Obviously you do have some work ahead of you. Being fiberglass, it is possible to repair and make that boat a real prize project. But it IS going to take a lot of work and money as well. As for the cap removal, I think that is a given seeing the damage that really needs to be worked on from both sides. So figure on that for starters. Not really knowing much about your hull, I suspect from the year alone that there is some rot as well in the floor and transom. It seem to go with the age for most boats. I suggest you take a lot of pictures and measurements and write those things down. You will need both later on. So post more pictures of both the outside and inside of the boat so we can see what you are dealing with. It can be fixed... :thumb:

Fisherman302

Cadet
Okay thank you for the quick reply I will take some pictures and post them up later tonight so you can get a better idea of what I'm dealing with.

Fisherman302

Cadet
Here are more in depth pictures
These are in the back of the transom. Looks like everything is covered in fiberglass so I can't tell if the wood is rotten feels solid though
jgl7w2.jpg

jgl7w2.jpg

2qu14r9.jpg

Now here are pictures of the storage in the bit where you put your skis or life jackets I ripped the carpet out to get an idea of what it looks like under there. I drilled a hole to try to see the condition of the wood. If I continue to drill will it reach the bottom of the boat ? I wasn't sure so I stopped. I assumed that the wood flooring is just part of the word structure holding the floor up?

1z3xxn8.jpg

25gtnhl.jpg

Here is a picture of inside of the cavity with my flash

21k9nvp.jpg

I snapped a few pictures behind the fuel tank which is hiding a hole in which you can see under the floor. When I have time tonight I'm going to try to take out the fuel tank or move it and see if I can't get a better idea what it looks like under the floor but here is what I got.
2cx7n6v.jpg

2gv2epz.jpg

Probably can't tell the full extent of rot by the pictures but wondering what your thoughts were.

Last edited: