The 1964 Arkansas Traveler Didn't Sink!! :)

Far2hip

Seaman
Because I wanted to get this thing in the water as soon as possible, I have put off the total restoration for over the winter and cleaned her up really nice. So, I popped in a nice set of back to back seats that I modified with my own base boxes that I turned into storage compartments wrapped in white vinyl, added a Bimini top and a nice Humminbird 898 Combo to the dash, got the Mercury Classic 50 all tuned up, and went for a rip up and down the river! This thing this thing cruises along beautifully!! Not bad at all considering what this thing looked like a few weeks back when I plucked it out of the woods!! :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.1 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 1

TN-25

Chief Petty Officer
You saved it, and I must say it cleaned up really nicely! The color is a real throwback from the era. The Merc 50 is a perfect way to power it. The old Evinrude Lark in the old pictures is a 1961 model.

WOEISMEIGOTTA470

Petty Officer 1st Class
That thing is sweet! Nice job! Cleaned up real well. I'm hoping to do the same on my interior, just quick and simple, leave elegance for winter mods. Amazing you got it to that state in only a few weeks, you could likely flip it for a good profit too lol.

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
I LOVE the old Runabouts. She looks a lot like my Blue Flamingo. My boat originally had that exact same motor on her. Hopefully, you checked the transom to make sure it was sound???

Last edited:

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
What WOG said...but that thang sure is a sweet looking ride. Nice yob!

Far2hip

Seaman
Thanks all!! And yes I did check put the transom pretty extensively and popped a few holes in the areas that seemed a bit boomy from tap testing it because it did have a small split that was glassed over at the lower portion. Glassed everything back up in all the holes. Nothing large but small is big enough to cause some damage!! All across the top and bottom areas are rock solid and the boomy areas are uniform in location to the left and right just in from each side so it almost seems like it was built this way. All of the wood chips were dry. Nice. I also used large 1/4" aluminum plates to mount inside for the motor instead of just washers to be even more sure of the strength. The motor cam off a 21ft pontoon boat so they had a 9 pitch on it for a prop. So, it jumps up to plane like a frog leaping for its life and reaches peak RPM way too fast. I did some research and it seems that a 13 pitch is the right prop and I have that being delivered tomorrow. God I hope I hit the prop combo on the first try!! This is a VERY strong motor and runs perfect so I did good in finding this one for a mere $400!! Well, I bought new decals and so,e black touch up pIt so well say $500. ;)

Far2hip

Seaman
Coolbri, that looks like the same bow running light unit that I have on this Traveler!! It's one of the things I love most about this boat!! During the full restoration of this thing, all of these old hardware pieces are gonna get re chromed. And I am definitely gonna go for that new windshield this season. Any suggestions on the best place to get one would be well appreciated!! :)

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
You might be surprised when you go to get the Re-Chroming done!!!!:eek: Very Pricey... VERY!!! Windshields are Hard to find but there's a guy on Fiberglassics.com that has a Truckload (no kidding, an actual semi trailer full) of old vintage windshields. Go to their site and post your needs and you might get lucky!

Far2hip

Seaman
WOG, I am going to do that for sure!! That would be SO perfect if he ended up having one in that trailer! From what I understand, many manufacturers back then used common sizes so the odds may be pretty good. Cross my fingers!!

With the chroming, fortunately I have a close friend that does it so I may be able to save a few bucks. I have a few big chips from our crazy youth that I still haven't cashed in, lol, so I am sure he will cut me a pretty good deal. :)