Bargain Find Restoration

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The balance should be fine, with a tiller you will be sitting off to that side already.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
Here is a quick mock up of what I may try to go for. I am thinking of blocking off the rear area as storage for the gas tank and a battery or whatever. The storage area and the areas next to it would be lowered a few inches to serve as a rear casting deck. I would likely fill the areas next to storage with foam. Hopefully the picture helps to show what I am going for.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
Looks like a nice clean uncluttered layout, now get to work! LOL

Ha-ha. If only I could find a day to work on it. My one year old keeps me busy! I have Thursday off, I will see what can be done then. More pictures to come.

Also, does anyone know of a better way to create a template of deck than to literally trace the old deck onto the new plywood?

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
If making a replacement most just use the old for a template to make a replacement. If you don't want to go that route and you have the forethought to do it before demo butcherpaper or the likes would work for a template.

If the boat is gutted and making something custom cardboard/posterboard and hot glue should get you close.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
A few minutes today for some work, got the console mostly out. Also took some measurements for reference.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
Well today was my day to do some work....unfortunately I am not the fastest ha-ha. I was able to get all of the wiring removed and the steering cables as well.

I also went to some stores in town and got some wobble rollers to fix broken ones on the trailer. I couldn't find any marine grade plywood, however.

Does anyone know of a good place to get some? I would like to see how much it costs, but I am not sure on if I can even get it locally. Lowes told me they have to order it in and that it may cost a lot.

Also debating on whether or not to treat the wood? A friend just redid his boat and put marine grade in his, but didn't treat the wood. I know that an epoxy resin is what I would like to do, but I don't know if the cost is worth it in comparison to just keeping the boat dry and using a deck sealant.

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
If you're interested in vinyl deck covering take a look at my build:
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/boat...-repair/521750-97-tracker-pro-deep-v-facelift

The only reason boat manufacturers put carpet in boats is because that's what everyone likes and the general boat buying public doesn't realize the disadvantages of carpet. Carpet absorbs and retains water/moisture, and even if the decking is sealed to prevent rot from the wet carpet it will still cause problems because of the retained moisture. The moisture in the carpet creates the perfect environment for growing mold and mildew.

I used to have a heck of a time with mildew in my boat when it had carpet in it, but when I changed over to all vinyl my mildew problem was solved. Water just sheds right off of the vinyl and goes down into the bilge to be drained out the bilge drain.

Now for that side console, save that thing and don't give or throw it away. Chances are you will be reinstalling it after a couple of trips operating a tiller.

To prevent listing distribute the heavy equipment in your boat according to how it will be used. If it will be mainly you fishing alone in the boat you can install the battery(s) and/or fuel tank on the port side to compensate for your weight on the starboard side.

One of the best things about restoring an old boat is that you can design it to fit your own practical needs.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
Hmmm so would I need to treat the acx if I use vinyl? Also, how difficult is it to properly fit the vinyl. I love the look, but have zero experience.

Really appreciate all of the help and feedback I have gotten. Thanks guys!

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral
Sealing the decking is recommended with any deck finish (carpet, vinyl, paint, etc.). Sealing the deck will add years of care-free life to your boat.

The vinyl installs about like carpet does in an aluminum boat if done the right way. All deck pieces should be individually wrapped and then installed into the boat. This makes it easy to remove the decking later without having to ruin your vinyl or carpet and is OEM for all new boats nowadays.

The definition of experience is: "something you get right after you need it". You'll never become experienced if you don't try it.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
Well, I have been busy lately with a friends wedding and life in general. However, tonight we got the floor torn out everywhere but the bow. So now it is just removing the bow and then on to cleaning out the hull! Thinking that I will get cheap plywood and go with resin, then put either vinyl or carpet. Still torn, although I am now looking vinyl more. Here are some pics..

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
Progress is good,

Make sure your cheap plywood has an X (ACX, BCX) in the identifier.

Oh and no treated.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
Progress is good,

Make sure your cheap plywood has an X (ACX, BCX) in the identifier.

Oh and no treated.

Thank you, and yeah I will make sure I follow the guideliness! Just have to order supplies and find the time to actually do the work.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
Time for some updating...

Just finished the majority of work last night. I ended up using 1/8" diamond plate for the deck material. It ended up being a lot of work to cut and work with, but I love the look.

Here is a price break down.
$400 boat and trailer (swapped trailers with a friend)
$325 Boat deck with some larger cuts done by shop
$350 motor and tuning
$300-400 in miscellaneous tools and parts
$0 free trolling motor
Total ~1500

Last edited:

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
Let us know how that deck does in the hot Sun. I fear it's going to get very hot and reflect sunlight really bad!!! It looks nice though