Bargain Find Restoration

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone,

First post! Decided to post my journey as I attempt to breath life into my "new boat". I recently purchased an older crestliner fish hawk for $400 with a trailer.The boat does need a few things, as it has been sitting exposed for several years. So here is my plan:
1. Fix up trailer.
2. Remove console and wiring.
3. Remove old deck and put in new wood only deck.

While I should be able to do most of these things relatively easily, I still have a lot of questions. Hopefully these questions haven't been beaten to death, but here are the first of my questions as I begin.

1. Is there a good type of sealant for filling holes in aluminum?
2. Is it worth it to remove old foam beneath the deck?
3. What is your recommendation on a good epoxy resin to seal the plywood?
4. How can I add traction to the wood without putting carpet or anything on it? ( I have heard of sand)
5. Is it worth it to seal the riveted seams once the deck is removed?

Thank you all in advance for helping!

P.S. I will try to post pictures as I go!

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Hey everyone,

First post! Decided to post my journey as I attempt to breath life into my "new boat". I recently purchased an older crestliner fish hawk for $400 with a trailer.The boat does need a few things, as it has been sitting exposed for several years. So here is my plan:
1. Fix up trailer.
2. Remove console and wiring.
3. Remove old deck and put in new wood only deck.

While I should be able to do most of these things relatively easily, I still have a lot of questions. Hopefully these questions haven't been beaten to death, but here are the first of my questions as I begin.

2. Is it worth it to remove old foam beneath the deck? In most all cases yes, the foam is usually wet
3. What is your recommendation on a good epoxy resin to seal the plywood? Any epoxy resin will work, it will cost less using polyester resin. You don't have structural issues
4. How can I add traction to the wood without putting carpet or anything on it? ( I have heard of sand) Sand works very well, put paint down heavy, sprinkle sand and let dry. You could paint it again to change color but it looks good as-is. Other option is non-skid tape, comes in different widths and lengths. Either one will require maintenance, but paint will be easier to keep up with IMO.

Thank you all in advance for helping!

P.S. I will try to post pictures as I go!

I'll leave the other questions to others with more knowladge

64osby

Admiral

A) JB Weld, Marine Tex, PC-11 have been used and work well

2. Is it worth it to remove old foam beneath the deck?

A) If it is poured in foam check to see if it is water logged. If yes then replace. If it is styrofoam (white sheets) replace with closed cell foam.

3. What is your recommendation on a good epoxy resin to seal the plywood?

A) Many here get it from US Composites

4. How can I add traction to the wood without putting carpet or anything on it? ( I have heard of sand)

A) sand will work. they sell different non slip products at the big box stores. Some are more bare foot friendly then others.

A) A leak or non leak test is always a good thing to do. Gluvit or Coat-it are great products to use for sealing the seams.

The restoration section or the Starcraft section have many examples of projects. You can find answers to just about any question you might have or just ask away and help usually will post up.

:welcome: to iboats.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you all for the quick responses! To clarify, I don't want to texture the paint just the deck of the boat.

JameO

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Welcome to dry dock sir . I'd like to follow you along on your journey. I like the boat.You really should check that foam. If its been sitting uncovered its probably is water logged. The place mentioned earlier is where I'm getting my poly from. But it's always good to check hear for it as well . Do you have to replace or rebuild any of your compartments? It seems like the guys have answered all your questions so far . It's time to get dirty:thumb:and welcome again sir.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Welcome aboard!

I think you got yourself a very good deal on that hull and trailer. I know many do not care for a side console in their fishing boats but I would that a close look at that in this case. Many times with these style boats the side console is actually a structural part of the boat. So consider that when thinking of making a change.

Those Tempress seats still look to be in good condition, a big plus. Trolling motor work? Honestly I think I would have given twice what you paid for it. I'll follow and offer what help I can.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all of the welcomes.

JameO I was going to redo all wood pieces including the side compartments. Now that I think of it I don't know how good a wooden deck would look with wooden side compartments.

Bonz Glad to see I am not the only one who thought I got a deal. I wish my wife saw it the same way ha-ha. The console is not structural, there is a support brace beneath it that attaches to the deck, but the console itself is only attached to the hull at the railing.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I think side consoles make the best use of space in a boat like this. looks like you made a very good buy.

64osby

Admiral
I don't want to texture the paint just the deck of the boat.

You can add texture to epoxy, spar varnish or paint. Whatever product you use to seal the deck.

The console is not structural, there is a support brace beneath it that attaches to the deck, but the console itself is only attached to the hull at the railing

It attaches to the floor and the top of the side. This would provide structure. Without it the side may be weak and flex.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Thanks for all of the welcomes.

The console is not structural, there is a support brace beneath it that attaches to the deck, but the console itself is only attached to the hull at the railing.

I can't see under the console and am not familiar with this particular boat model but I would suggest that if you did a web search of other aluminum boats of this type you would find that the one w/o a steering console all have some type of structure along the side that is riveted to the side and then attached to the floor. That is part of the structure to add strength and stability to the side of the boat. Aluminum does not have a lot of strength over an extended distance.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
I can't see under the console and am not familiar with this particular boat model but I would suggest that if you did a web search of other aluminum boats of this type you would find that the one w/o a steering console all have some type of structure along the side that is riveted to the side and then attached to the floor. That is part of the structure to add strength and stability to the side of the boat. Aluminum does not have a lot of strength over an extended distance.

The brace that you speak of is under the console and would not be affected by removing the console.

Here is a quick pic of the motor that will go on the boat along with my 3 other mercs.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
. WOW!..You got a GREAT deal....so your going to convert it to a tiller....it will give you a lot of extra room in the boat. Since your going to remove the floor and re-deck, my 2cts...why not re-carpet the whole thing. If you should decide to sell it down the road it will enhance the value. I am currently restoring/re doing a 1988 Alumacraft Lunker V14, When I'm done it's going to be better than new...

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
. WOW!..You got a GREAT deal....so your going to convert it to a tiller....it will give you a lot of extra room in the boat. Since your going to remove the floor and re-deck, my 2cts...why not re-carpet the whole thing. If you should decide to sell it down the road it will enhance the value. I am currently restoring/re doing a 1988 Alumacraft Lunker V14, When I'm done it's going to be better than new...

I don't know if I want carpet because it will hold moisture. I do like a carpeted boat, but its going to cause rotting later. I am still undecided on a lot of things. I really just need time to tear into it.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Are you going to store it inside? Are you going to cover it when not using it? One thing I notice when I go back UP NORTH to visit and fish...I that people invest THOUSANDS of dollars on a boat and don't take the time to invest a couple of hundred bucks on a decent cover or park it under cover. I love to see the same kinds of boats filled up with snow and ice..EFFIN brilliant. Quality MARINE carpeting placed down on properly sealed floor will last a very long time. My brothers 1988 Sylvan still has the original factory carpeting....why...because he took care of it!

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
You could do a mix of vinyl and carpet. Vinyl the deck and re-carpet the rest. As to carpet. I put it back down in a Lund I had 6 years ago and it still looks new. I know this because my brother now owns it. I would stay away from anything heavier than 16oz. 1, because it's not needed and much more expensive, 2, holds more water and takes longer to dry out. 3, I hate adding unneeded weight to a small boat.

A day on the water even fishing in a heavy downpour will not effect anything as long as you leave it uncovered with good airflow to dry out.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
I will store it inside when possible otherwise I will buy a cover for it once it's finished. I couldn't stand putting effort into it just to let it go to crap. I am glad to see that carpet does hold up. I haven't looked into vinyl, but now I will.

TruckDrivingFool

Lieutenant Commander
I'd say ya got a killer deal on it. Without the console (and operator) do you have plans for a matching storage box for the starboard side? Might be needed to keep it from listing.

:welcome: to iboats and the drydock.

Tenzero1

Seaman Apprentice
I'd say ya got a killer deal on it. Without the console (and operator) do you have plans for a matching storage box for the starboard side? Might be needed to keep it from listing.

:welcome: to iboats and the drydock.

I have not thought about having a weight issue, but I suppose it may impact the distribution enough. In an ideal world I would have a wrap around platform on which I could stand and fish from all sides. I am not sure how difficult it would be to build that, but it may be worth while.